Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN analysts concerned about Georgia football defense: ‘Who are the emerging stars?’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageESPN analysts concerned about Georgia football defense: ‘Who are the emerging stars?’

Georgia football has to replace a number of key players on the defensive side of the ball.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

An absolute beast on the D-side of the ball that did not get all the hype as evident here in this article with his name not being mentioned was Lewis Cine. If he name was in this article and I mentioned, I apologize!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The good news for this season is that there is a ton of young (inexperienced) talent on this team. The bad new is that it could mean trouble if the experienced guys get hurt. Really need guys like RDavis, TMarshall, TSmith, Poole, NSmith and other experienced guys to remain healthy and elevate their games as Wyatt, Tindall, Cine and others did.

Another potential bad news for UGA event now shaping up. AL cleared out a scholarship today expected to be used on former Pitt WR and Belitnikoff winner Jordan Addison.

• 99nout99nout Posts: 215 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give Dan Jackson a scholarship.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't it strike anybody, as odd, that Saban is leaning so hard on the Transfer Portal, to put a competitive team on the field next year? I've seen a lot of signs over the last year and un-Saban like behavior. This will be Young's and W. Anderson's final year. Outside of those 2 guys, their most impactful players were brought in through the portal. It seems desperate to me. Why would he risk contaminating a program he built, just to compete for 1 year. I think he plans to walk out the door with Young and Anderson...with another ring on his finger. What better way to go.

I'm telling you, the guy is going to retire after next season, and he wants to out with a Championship.

@Kconnorriley ....how do you write this article and not mention the #1 overall draft pick, Travon Walker, as one of the over-looked defenders on last years team? I don't recall anybody putting his name out there in the usual pre-season Hype...much less, during the season. All the focus was on the return of Davis & Wyatt, Dean and Cine. Oh, and of course, the transfers, Tykee Smith and Derion Kendrick.

My guess is , this year's team will be no better analyzed. The offense will be generational, but nobody wants to cover it or should I say, hype it, that way. And, next year, you'll be talking about the offense with the same 20/20 hindsight that the defense is be discussed this year. LOL

That's not as important as it was last year. With NIL, I'm sure Jackson is being well taken care of, else he would have transferred. There's more one way to skin that cat, these days.

edited May 2022

Saban "plans to walk out the door", Why that's .......brilliant! What a deduction! Oh wait. Didn't BA say that on his podcast 2 or 3 days ago? And I said it after UGA won the CFBCG. CFB (and bball - ask Coach K) is unrecognizable from pre-NIL/TP days. Does a guy like Saban continue to want to deal with the rigors of maintaining his dynasty? Is it even possible? (no it isn't - not anymore) So yes it would not surprise me to see Saban retire after this year (as I said months ago). Would he want to go out a champion? Who wouldn't? He is filling in holes and in many cases upgrading the talent for a run.

He is showing that you never have too much talent. Does he have less talent than before? Absolutely. You can thank CKS for that. Still ranked preseason #1. Still picked as the team to beat. Our own beat writer thinks UGA winning the SECE would be "miraculous". Saban has added 5 or 6 starters from the TP since the CFBCG. Gotta be some unhappy players over there being recruited over. Have to wonder what Burton thinks IF AL adds Addison. I just find it very interesting that a 3* guy on campus for 4 mo is suddenly leaving when Addison becomes available.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Saban coached 5 more years. Saban is not leaning on the TP so hard to put a competitive team on the field. He already had that. He is stone cold about using every means to put a champion team out there. Every year.

I will put another original thought out there I have not seen mentioned anywhere. Maybe Saban missed his window for retiring? Had he retired before the TP would he have been able to leave AL in better shape? NOW, w/the TP, does the AL program experience mass exodus upon announcement of Saban's retirement? Thus crushing the program? Depends on who Saban's replacement is. Or does it?

• cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reloading baby.

Buddy...I've been saying it since the NIL decision in July of last year. So, you're behind the power curve a little bit. But, whatever. Perception is 9/10ths of reality.

The transfer portal has been around a few years, but, add-in NIL...now you've got a different game altogether. That's why Saban came back to coach College Football in the first place. He didn't like personnel decisions being made based on money...not winning philosophy. He couldn't control the locker room and the player's environment at Miami.

I see he's given up, when I see relatively unknown characters introduced into his locker room environment, which up to now, has been closely nurtured and developed. One of them, a DB from LSU, was arrested in Mississippi last week on speeding and possession of a controlled substance charges.

I believed it in July 2021 and it's been reinforced at every turn. So, I believe it even more today, regardless of what the Johnny-Come-Lately prognosticators in the media project. I do my own home work and evaluations, that's why I'm ahead of the curve. LOL

So, tellme again, what led you to believe it in February 2022?

Okay chief. Love your revisionist history. Come up with some new material.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just look at the 2021 pre-season all SEC first team defense. The coaches picked Jordon Davis as the lone first team member from Georgia.

They had five players from Alabama on that first team. I don't know what those coaches know, but I knew that list was wrong.

Who are the emerging stars on this next Georgia defense? I don't know but a few will rise to the occasion. The Dawgs are already projected to have three more first round draft picks from the defense. Younger unproven players will start to play up to that level as well.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait another month or so and see what a stretch these articles get.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Which one of the teams in the East has emerging stars who will overtake us. With my limited knowledge, I believe we have recruited better over the last 6 years than any team in the East so why are all the questions about who we're going to put on the field? To loosely quote Ron Washington of the Braves, all of those teams are looking at our rear ends and elbows. Here's to hoping we get through fall camp healthy!!

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are alot of hungry guys on this defense, I am sure we will have the players rising to the occassion again this season. They have seen the blueprint for success and it will translate to them. I have no doubt that Kirby and crew will have this team ready to fight for another natty! GO DAWGS!