Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONAL EAT WHAT YOU WANT DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I were president/king, I would make this a law, not just a once-a-year event.

NATIONAL EAT WHAT YOU WANT DAY

Observed annually on May 11th, National Eat What You Want Day sets diets aside for a day of indulgence. It’s about having one day a year of eating with no regrets. Whether you love donuts or fast food, today is your day to gratify without feeling guilty. 

Chili cheese dogs, greasy hamburgers, french fries, potato chips, cake, cookies, candy, and ice cream are just a few of the things you can enjoy today without remorse. Decadent food is definitely on the menu today. The saying, “Everything in moderation” applies to this holiday quite aptly. Though, we’re not quite sure they meant EVERYTHING at the same time. 

However, a sample of this and a sample of that sure has a way of satisfying a sweet tooth or a greasy yearning. Need a salt fix? This holiday offers it. How about a crunch craving? Yep, we’re sure you can find what you’re looking for. Whether it is a rich, fried or fast, frozen, baked, or spicy eat what you want.

Some of us have that one irresistible food that we avoid at all costs because we know if it’s in the house we’ll eat it all. It’s our weakness, our kryptonite. This holiday suggests that we bend to our kryptonite just this one time each year.

HOW TO OBSERVE #EatWhatYouWantDay

What’s your kryptonite? Will you be celebrating with a bite of your favorite dessert or snackfood? Celebrate this fantastic food day by eating your favorite foods. Call a friend and go out for some fun and indulgence.

I try to be relatively non-judgmental, but what's with the word "or"? I don't want to be limited in my choices, so I propose changing the word "or" to "and" , in the above sentence. What will you eat today?

Comments

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can celebrate this and National Shrimp Day at the same time!

I want some fried shrimp so bad!

My wife's mother passed away in 2013, and we had to drive to Charleston on many weekends to begin the process of cleaning her house out. Friday night road trips it was just me and the Mrs. (it was actually good together time for us).

We stopped at Gilligan's in Columbia, SC and had some good times with the all you can eat shrimp.

Until they closed...we pulled up one Friday night and the restaurant was dark.

We were both really bummed out!

Some of the best fried shrimp I've ever eaten is at a place called O'Steen's in St. Augustine...butterflied shrimp!

Oh, and my wife's shrimp gumbo is a work of art how all those flavors come together!

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your mentioning shrimp and Charleston reminds me of low country boil and shrimp and grits. Very good stuff, if it’s made correctly. Charleston has no shortage of great restaurants.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I eat mostly what I want any day--just not a lot of it. Sadly, outside of the deep south, you can't get truly great shrimp.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also known as every day for me! 😂