Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONAL BUTTERMILK BISCUIT DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you haven't eaten breakfast yet, here's a thought:

NATIONAL BUTTERMILK BISCUIT DAY

May 14th ushers in National Buttermilk Biscuit Day to celebrate this high-rising breakfast staple.

Biscuits are made using baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent rather than yeast. A typical buttermilk biscuit recipe contains flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, and buttermilk. They are often referred to as a “quick bread,” indicating they do not need time to rise before baking. While being made, the dough is beaten and folded to incorporate air, which expands while baking, causing the biscuit to rise. 

Before the American Civil War, biscuits emerged as an inexpensive addition to meals. This sturdier bread product soon became popular as people realized it absorbed the gravy on their plate better than plain bread. Soon a new family favorite, biscuits, and gravy, was created.

Alexander P. Ashbourne patented the first biscuit cutter in 1875.

Supermarkets offer canned biscuits that are refrigerated until ready to be baked. In 1931, Ballard and Ballard patented these refrigerator biscuits.

Biscuits have been a staple of the Southern United States cuisine for many years and are often made with buttermilk. Traditionally served as a side dish with butter, they are also served at breakfast with molasses, light sugarcane syrup, maple syrup, sorghum syrup, honey, jam, or jelly, or as a breakfast sandwich.

When I lived in GA, biscuits with sorghum was a big favorite of mine. How do you like to dress your biscuits?

Comments

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With sausage gravy!

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2 please with a sausage patty and egg, 1 with mustard the 2nd with jelly. Good till supper time.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Growing up butter biscuits with sorghum syrup was dessert. It took me 20 years of trying off and on to learn how to make biscuits. I finally figured it out.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My go to with meat and three in GA when the coaching staff went to lunch.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JR’s Loghouse in Norcross used to have some really good biscuits. Not sure if it’s still there or as good as it used to be, but man could I destroy some of their sausage, egg and cheese biscuits or biscuits and gravy!!!

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jerry's Country Kitchen in Carrollton had awesome biscuits as well Way bigger than hockey pucks!!