Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart expresses confidence in even better 2022 Georgia offense: ‘We’re in a good position’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart expresses confidence in even better 2022 Georgia offense: ‘We’re in a good position’

Georgia football will need to be better offensively in 2022. And Kirby Smart is confident the group can do so.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

I think the “total yardage and points scored” stats are a bit deceiving. UGA played conservatively with many back-up players last year for most of the 2nd halves against practically every opponent. Also, several teams like a Ohio State love to embarrass their opponents and impress the pollsters by running up the score. I’m not saying we had a prolific offense, but I think we could have easily been ranked higher statistically if we were ruthless in the 3rd and 4th quarters. It really doesn’t matter because statistics are for losers…..and we are #1. Go Dawgs!!!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not mentioned but should have been: The offensive line.

Go, Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We absolutely put the brakes on in the 4th quarter last year moreso than any other team out there that mixes up the run and pass. MAybe iit's been mentioned but if it hasn't , I 'd be willing to bet SB threw less passes in the 4th quarter than any other QB in the SEC last year. MAybe even in all of College Football.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Total yardage also was artificially low season last because the offense very often had a short field. We should have more yardage this season because we may not be getting the ball around midfield quite as often. Plus, I think we'll be more explosive AND consistent on offense.

On the other, good field position made scoring a bit easier. Plus we probably got more points from our defense than most. Those to factors sort of evened out the fact that we tapped the brakes with big leads, so we ended up ninth nationally in points per game -- which I think is about where we should have been.

When we talk about WRs being susceptible to injury, we have to account for the fact that Bowers, Gilbert, Washington and possibly Delp are all receiving threats. That's a big difference from other teams.

In other words, we go from thinking about it as having six WRs to having 10 WRs and TEs. That's a BUNCH of dangerous targets with a lot of different looks and plenty of guys who can fill in without a big drop off in case of an injury. Knock on wood that nothing happens to Bowers or any of the others, but we're not as totally dependent on just two WRs (which is part of what made Alabama the worse team last year).

I'm not sure any team in the country enjoys that many proven pass catchers. Plus, our OC happens to be great at scheming up deviously creative pass plays.

(I'm purposely not counting our freshmen receivers, because we don't have evidence yet that any of them will be significant contributors ... but there's always that chance, too.)

An interesting statistic would be to see the average “point differential” between teams at the end of the 3rd quarter. My bet is we were #1 in the country thanks to a fabulous defense and a very efficient offense.

Interesting point. I'm pretty sure that we did have the biggest margin after three quarters over the course of the season. Check my math:

1. We had the largest victory margin in the country by 4 points (26.9 versus Ohio State's 22.9 , according to TeamRanking.com).
    2. We outscored opponents in the 4th quarter, 101-67, or by only 2.4 points per game.
    3. So we would have led at the end of three quarters by an average of 24.5 points -- which was already more than any other teams victory margin for the whole game.

Very cool….that’s what I thought, but didn’t have all the stats to back me up. Now, I want one of our great DawgNation writers to see if there has ever been a #1 pick in the NFL draft who was never named as an “All Conference” player or All American. I think this year was likely the first time anything like that has occurred. Maybe a great article idea for Connor since he’s all over cool things like that 😉

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't see the WR group as being a big question mark. They are very good, imo. I'm more concerned about the LB room.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI....Defensive scores don't count toward offensive Pts/game scored, anymore than pick sixes or fumble returns for TDs counted against the defense in Pts/game allowed.

I don't think my man, Conner, is smart enough to pick that up. After all, he only pointed out that Bennett won MVP of the Orange Bowl....but somehow, failed to mention that Bennett won the CFP Championship Game MVP, 10 days later. LOL

Actually, BigDawg, the 38.6 "total scoring" figure that people are citing does include defensive points. If you total all final UGA scores and divide by 15, you get 38.6.

If you back out the four pick-sixes (and count them as sevens), "scoring by offensive" comes to 36.9. That actually wasn't a huge amount of defensive scoring so we aren't likely to drop off much from that this year.

I didn't realize that, until you said it. You gave me something to think about.

I remember a discussion about the Charleston Southern fumble return for TD, not counting against the defensive point total...even though, it was a double turnover. I.e., Sorey intercepted the ball and then the ball was taken from him by a CS player in a scrum during his return and returned 65 yds for a TD.

It didn't occur to me until just now, that if those points didn't go against the UGA defense, which offense, if any, got the credit and was either defense charged with the points. I'm going to check that out.

I'm not a big statistic guy...don't put a whole lot of stock in them. They provide just one angle of observation. I like to identify and analyze as many angles as possible before I formulate an opinion. STATS give you a pretty good first glance idea of a team or player's performance, but you have to do a little digging to put it all together.

For instance, I didn't realize how many defenders played against CS till I went back and looked at the game. Nakobe Dean barely played in the game and Bennett only played in 1 qtr, leaving after UGA was up 28-0. Burton only had 2 catches for 30 yds and 0 TDs and was 4th in receiving behind Seither, Bowers and McIntosh. Behind those guys, were Meeks, McConkey and Cook.

All that gives you a pretty good snapshot of what UGA's offense is going to look like next year. 2 RBs and 2 TEs were 4 of the top 6 receivers in the Charleston Southern game. Monkin intends to employ RBs and TEs in the Air-Raid game, with a couple of good blocking/catching receivers.

Mike Griffith keeps talking about UGA running a Spread with Air-Raid principles, only when Daniels was behind center. That's just not true. He doesn't know what that offense is or how it operates, otherwise, he wouldn't keep saying it. UGA doesn't line up with an "X", "Y", "Z", Flanker set and Daniels wasn't a prototype Air-Raid QB...i.e., he wasn't mobile and did not perform well under pressure. That's not an opinion...it's a statistic and fact. He was middle of the pack in that statistic. I read that in a West VA profile on Bennett. An honest critique of Daniels' abilities is something Dawg Nation never did. If their critique was honest, then it was incompetent.

WV is worried about Daniels taking too many sacks, his mobility and ability to throw on the run. That...by definition...is NOT an Air-Raid QB and lining up 1 or 2 TEs with a RB, as UGA has, is not a spread option with Air-Raid principles.,

IMO...Monkin and Smart are inventing a completly new offense using Air-Raid Principles. Nobody has approached the Air-Raid game using multiple TE/RB sets before. Defenses are going to be confused and tripping over themselves trying to decipher UGAs offense next year. Mismatches galore. It's gonna be fun to watch. LOL

Interesting. I learn from you with each of these posts.

I did think Daniels was pretty good under pressure, however -- at least as measured by third down conversions. He was a pretty cool cookie and a DGD, if you ask me.

I definitely agree with what you're saying about Monken and the offense. I commented earlier that he's the just the kind of deviously creative coach to utilize the tools he's going to have this year: A powerful and deep line, a mobile accurate experienced quarterback, decent RBs, and 10 -- count 'em, TEN!-- established and/or highly promising (Delp) WRs and TEs to target.

The one weapon that we haven't shown we have in our arsenal is that one superior WR who has the combination of skills to make him the go-to guy or the one who opens things up for the other route runners. At the same time, I'd say four of our WRs could prove themselves that guy, and both Bowers and Gilbert appear capable of playing something like that role from the TE spot. Plus it's not clear that Monken will need that, especially if -- as you say -- defenses won't be able to figure out what's hitting them.

Same here Brother. You push me to think, and, I like that.

FYI, below is a link to the article, WV smokingmusket.com article, breaking down Daniels pluses and minuses. You won't see that kind of thing on DawgNation.

I think you'll find this enlightening.

@CandlerPark I meant to tag you on this article. Thought you might enjoy it, based on our conversation. It's interesting and not something you would typically read on DawgNation. Comes from West VA's equivalent SmokingMusket.com.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2022/5/7/23056346/a-closer-look-at-west-virginia-mountaineer-qb-jt-daniels