Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Lamborghini NIL Deals? Kirby Smart, Deion Sanders agree extremes challenge college football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageLamborghini NIL Deals? Kirby Smart, Deion Sanders agree extremes challenge college football

Kirby Smart and Deion Sanders seem to agree on one thing when it comes to NIL deals: Enough is enough.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The cultural landscape of college football is changing and perhaps not for the better. Smart sees it clearly. When college becomes like the NFL, we no longer have college football...we have an extension of the League...talking money and cars and Lord knows what....inter-college. Players talking million dollar NIL deals with other players and coaches, et al. It is already happening. I did not like it back then and I do not like it now. It all started as academics, then football...that has pretty much reversed in role. NIL..third-year eligibility for players to leave school, is creating a culture of college athletes seeking fortune as their end through the NFL draft, and now, fortune before, as the number of stars gets you a deal with major companies becoming "sugar daddies" to high profile athletes. I am old fashioned I guess. Times have changed...that is a certainty, but is it for the better?

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You hear some of these idiot talking heads saying, "Well, it's always been done under the table. Now, it's above the table and people don't like what they see."

What I say to that, is....horse manure. BS, with a capital _ULL & _HIT! All schools, haven't "always done it". That's like saying, "Well, people have always smoked Crack and shot up heroin in dope houses. Now, that we legalized it, you can see the syringes and wasted life everywhere, and people don't like it."

Of course people don't like what they're seeing. It's raw, unadulterated, corruption. Over the last 20-30 years, they've taken one of the purist games kids have and violated it to the point of vulgarity. You could say the same thing about our Country.

How long do you think it will take, for the evil tentacles of this corrupt octopus to reach down into the High School and even little league ranks? It's probably already being done, to some extent. Hell, 13 and 14 year old kids are being recruited and given scholarship offers, right now. How many of those come with paychecks to Mommy and Daddy? Promises of jobs and houses? How many High School coaches are getting paid to steer their kids to a certain University. That's been done, too. But, now that everything is above board and legal, there are no guardrails to prevent outright cheating and perversion of amateur athletics...whatever that is.

The kids and their families will be the ones hurt by all this, in the end. I heard one idiot Journalist commenting that he hasn't heard one complaint from a player or parent. I'm like...dang, it hasn't been around 10 months yet. Give it time. Corruption always brings pain to somebody and it isn't going to be the briber, but, the bribee. The guy doing the paying can always put his wallet back in his pocket, once the horse is in his barn. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. What recourse will the athlete have if 1 of these NIL deals reneges after the fact?

The guy shooting up heroin or smoking Crack, ain't gonna complain until the drugs are gone. Then withdrawals begin.

Smart is on the right track. Stay away from it. Develop the kids you get in the program. Sell them on futures, not the easy dollar. You'll see the long term effects on desperate programs, going all-in to generate temporary solutions to flawed organizations. The kids buying into these programs, will suffer from buyer's remorse, only, it will be too late for them.

It's a shame, we have to keep learning the same lessons over and over. But, I guess that's the world we live in....today, anyway. Talk to the kids and parents and Collectives in 5 years...let's see if they're still "not complaining". LOL

• cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am not sure of the return for some of these businesses, so it may be crazy for a while until businesses realize that some of these deals are not worth the investment.

Maybe Kavanaugh will apply the Alston Case to professional golf. Seems like they have a monopoly and don’t like to be challenged……

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They are all pros now. Take away college eligibility and there is no more NIL issues. Let the players get their ALL FREE expert coaching, training, gyms, practice experience, big game experience, NFL prep, food, housing and college education, somewhere else. Oh, they can't. This is extreme but at the same time, to me, this is how you reign it in, put a cap on it, put some rules in that benefit the future of the college game, controls. Follow these rules or lose your college eligibility. Its college or no where to get prepped for the NFL. This will really just do to college football, what the billionaires and the World Economic Forum(Gates, Zuckerberg, all the billionaires)and other international groups, like the UN, WHO, IMF and more, with ALL UNELECTED MEMBERS, are doing to society. Squeezing out the middle and lower classes until they are the only players left to control everything. Soon there will just be a few schools that control it all and the rest of the 100 plus colleges(not counting lower divisions)sports programs are bankrupt and non-factors. It has already been going this direction. This just speeds up the process in the fastest way possible.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The schools providing the the athlete with the stage to enhance value should get 15%. At signing, the athlete's contract should include a non-compete agreement, complete with a buy out clause.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yessss...now, we're talking. Before, Colleges weren't necessarily covered by contract, because the athlete's interests were the only thing being protected. An LOI signed didn't guarantee a player would attend the University even though the University would have to hold that position open. It bound the University...not the player. It wasn't official, until the player signed the Scholarship entrance paperwork, which some of the top players reserved until just before preseason practice.

Now....make em sign a binding contract, if that's the road they want to take. Remove the free-agent aspect. Protect the Universities that are being subsidized by the people of the State in which they reside....thereby, protecting the interests of the people of that State.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2022

Apparently whoever agreed to student athletes getting NIL deals didn't think it through before signing off. How you allow something to happen without having no control measures in place. NIL have been in effect for a short time and it is already affecting the college game. If the decision makers doesn't come up with a solution quick...just say goodbye to the one of the most dedicated fan base in sports. Look how the professional game has changed with athletes holding out for more money and lock outs. Something needs to be done with the transfer portal as well. No transfers can happen when season is in play. Not to mention that it should follow the same guidelines as the recruiting periods.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

I posted this under a different article but the comments here are more recent...

Is anybody else seeing the weird ads replacing the comments section in some of the more recent articles? I'm using an ad blocker that's generally been very effective and they're still showing up. One of them is overtly sexual. Not that I'm a prude, it just all looks really sketchy.