Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nick Saban comes out swinging: Texas oil money threatens Alabama, Georgia recruiting dominance

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageNick Saban comes out swinging: Texas oil money threatens Alabama, Georgia recruiting dominance

The college football offseason circus is officially underway with the grand ringmaster taking center stage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're comparing apples to oranges. Universities have as much money as they want to spend on recruiting. Are you trying to say Oregon couldn't have spent another million if they wanted to? You still have to develop relationships with the prospects and sell your program and go out and beat the bushes. MAybe until now.

But having more money to bribe( I mean pay) players then everyone else is a different ball game all-together. Essentially you could end up having to not go out on the recruiting trail and bust your butt at all, but just pick up a phone and say," hey find your best offer somewhere else and we'll double it. Sold to the highest bidder!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rules? There are no rules and that is most of the problem. The NCAA is a worthless governing body and has sidestepped taking any kind of ownership of NIL "rules" or much else. And until there is legislation then the Wild Wild West of recruiting and NIL will continue that is creating a bigger gap between winners and losers. You may get the occasional one-off team that shines for a year or so, but the biggest teams with the biggest donors, budgets, and deepest pockets will continue to dominate the playoffs and National Championships. Texas has always been a big draw whether or not the school actually can compete, but most of their issue involves being in the Big 12. Once they hit the SEC then expect their level of competition to increase drastically. Oklahoma will benefit as well and should become better. Eliminate the divisions in the SEC, and you will have a dominate conference that will eat most of their non-SEC Power 5 competitors for lunch.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA got too greedy and corrupt and now they are paying the price and becoming a laughable institution.

Saban needs to shut up, though. Don't act like Bama is some small school and can't "play with the big boys". Basketball may wind up being a REAL issue as I'm sure a lot of these schools have the budgets for sports around a high school level. But don't act like Bama has done things by-the-book and never taken advantage of their size, fanbase and Saban's reputation.

Lets not pretend that things have EVER been fair. All major schools have taken advantage of setting their own schedules, buying wins (oh sure, the team being paid $1M has a chance, but come on), helicopter landings on a football field, unlimited recruiting budgets, etc.

I don't believe for a second that Bama would refuse to match an offer or refuse to do ANYTHING another school would do. It's all about the philosophy of not wanting others to have the advantages you've had for so long.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

National legislation? That’s exactly why there is NIL! The NCAA’s greatest fear was Congress getting involved in their free labor model for student athletes, especially football players. The NCAA thought they could keep Congress off their back by tossing the student athletes an NIL bone.

Of course, the NCAA being the NCAA, incapable of forethought with absolutely no reason to rush into a knee jerk reaction, made a Forrest Gump, “**** is as **** does” decision throwing open Pandora’s box rather than just cracking the lid a little and evaluating the results.

Now, the toothpaste is totally out of the tube and the cries of the college football hierarchy for Congress to put it back in the tube are laughable! If there is an outfit more clueless than the NCAA, it resides in Washington D.C.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm just glad Coach Smart is staying out of this so far. Best place to be.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

The circus is indeed underway. Articles like this make you the ringleader. Let them go at it - it will all work itself out in the end. Meanwhile, I stand, uninterested, on the sideline awaiting the beginning of football season.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guess I need to start donating money to UGA Athletics to help Smart in any way possible, especially with the Texas schools. Lol! Maybe I can find some oil somewhere in the state and donate most of it to the Football program, lol!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will throw another fresh take out there on Saban (and Jimbo) going off (on each other). Bad look for both and probably not a very attractive look for either to the Manning family. Just sayin. Mannings are CFB "royalty" and above these kinds of hissy fits.

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is all going to have a big impact on the non-revenue producing college sports, because big donors to athletic programs don't need to give their money to the university, they can just pay the players they want directly. When the money is out of the university, the AD or even the coach's control how are these non-revenue producing sports (i.e. women's sports) going to get funded? I mean a small group of well-funded alumni could put together a fund that though annual commitments and well managed dividends and interest could generate $21.25 mil a year, which would provide every scholarship player $250,000/year in NIL funding. Cut that down to the top 40 players on the team and that would provide each of those top 40 players over $500,000/year in NIL benefits. Now if I was an athletic booster who donated millions to my schools athletic department to build facilities and fund recruiting and coaches salaries then why would I continue to do that when I can just spend my millions on buying the best players?

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I sure hope that my beloved college football as a sport endures through this current sweeping sea of changes, and somehow it still remains "college football'.... However, between all of the new things being introduced, (NIL, and the transfer portal, and don't forget there will potentially be brand new can of worms Title IX lawsuit problems coming up via the new NIL deals) along with all of the real problems that the NCAA has botched up time and again at every single turn for the last 50 plus years?, I am now genuinely concerned that the sport that I grew up with in the late 1960s, and throughout the 1970s???, is beginning now onto it's final run. These days, the numbers are actually showing that there are fewer, and fewer parent's who are still going out and signing up their 5 year old, and 6, and 7 year old sons into any kind of little league football at all. Fast forward that shrinking pool of boys to ten years later?, then those same boys would now be 15, and 16, and 17 year old football players?, their numbers will also shrink too, then just four years later?, those are the same young 19, 20, and 21 year old young men that WON'T be playing anywhere in the college football world, and add to that the whole NFL problems with the brain injury "CTE" crowd that wants all of American style football banned period, and there still are lawsuits (I am told that they are mostly tied up in the courts) and then with no new real "good" news to report on??? I really do fear now that I just may live long enough ( I am 59 years old right now) to see where football at all levels will begin to "contract" (shrink) instead of expanding anymore. I truly do love college football, and the sport of American style game of football in general. I really do see where it (American Football) is in real jeopardy for it's very existence to even remain on the planet into the not too distant (perhaps another 20-25 years?) future. I hope I am overreacting and that I am way off in this.... just one man's amateur, (and yes, it is a negative), but I believe it is also just a humble opinion.

PS - While they are still here now for this fall coming in 2022?? GO DAWGS!!!!

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is the NIL info/contracts available for public knowledge? If so someone needs to do an article on which players at each school are being paid. Include all the schools and if possible include this years class. Lets get all the cards on the table and see who is really being truthful in all this.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those with the most money generally call the shots.