Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Everyone made the same Kirby Smart joke after explosive Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher comments

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageEveryone made the same Kirby Smart joke after explosive Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher comments

Everyone on social media made the same Kirby Smart jokes after comments made by Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

What Saban said was not meant for outside ears. It was a ham handed attempt to pep talk and get boosters to donate more to AL's football program. Frankly Saban F'd up. He comes off a little desperate and unprepared. Something we've never seen from Saban before.

Someone threw Saban under the bus by recording and posting.

Fisher comes off as unhinged and unsophisticated. Not the look you want to see from the face of your program. I would be embarrassed if I were a aTm fan. More and more Fisher is coming off as Dan Mullen with a better contract. Mullen might actually be the better coach.

Makes you appreciate CKS even more. The CEO of the UGA program. Adapting where necessary and creating a plan for success. Never falling to the level of mere football coach Fisher.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban did not like getting beat by Fisher previously, so using the Boosters to buy commits and another possible win over Saban, sent Nick over the top. Nick views himself as king of the SEC and NCAA for that matter. JImbo, in my opinion, will do anything to topple Nick and the gain a natty...and he did. It is getting down right nasty. Both coaches are known for their ribaldry and underhandedness. Kirby is steering clear.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Alabama would've won if their coach's mouth didn't flap at the wrong time. We lost because of injuries and because TAM is cheating to get the number one class. We never cheated to get all out number one classes. If this doesn't get stopped so we can get the number one class every year, I'm going to hold my breath until we do!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah the thing with jimbo is this, bit dog barks 1st. He done it after signing and he's still whimpering to this day. Now just gotta show he can out coach nick Saban, which likely won't happen. And like stated below Saban's comments were meant for private ears (kirby smart locker room speech). The fact that jimbo had to pull together a whole press conference just to retaliate shows how little of a man he really is. Jimbo should've just said "we'll see ya on the field" and went about his day. Dragging in the press to puff your chest shows how little character he has.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"More and more Fisher is coming off as Dan Mullen with a better contract. Mullen might actually be the better coach."

Yeah, but Fisher is easily a better recruiter than Mullen!

I agree that Fisher comes off looking very bad. What he said and how he said it was far worse than what Saban said.

I do wonder if some kids and their families will take it as Jimbo standing up for the athlete's right to earn money. On the other hand, this -- on top of his tiff with Kiffin and the substance behind the critiques -- will have detrimental affect on the program's reputation.

I'm not going to get out my violin on behalf if Fisher, though. The way A&M appears to be manipulating NIL is pretty questionable. Fits the perfect stereotype of Texas bigfooting.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

First, where is it anywhere that what Saban said was supposed to be "in private.? It was a public setting covered by the media. The information was in fact covered, videoed and released by AL.com, a media operation out of Alabama. So no, no violation of secrecy there.

Second, why does anyone believe that NIL "levels" the playing field? Long before NIL was ever a thing, alums, sponsors, coaches and anyone else, were giving kids (and/or their families) money "under the table." NIL just made all of that legal. What Saban is saying is that he supports NIL, but he believes that money should only go to kids who are ALREADY enrolled in school, not as enticements for recruits who have never played a down in college. He believes that's against the NIL "rules." But, he's also saying that even though he believes it is against the rules, if everyone else is going to do it without being penalized, then Alabama is going to start doing it too -- the implied threat there being that when Alabama starts doing it, they will do it better than anyone else because he's Nick Saban. And that's what Jimbo Fisher meant about Saban being a narcissist. Go Dawgs!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban does & says nothing that is not part of his overall plan including recent comments. He's been around long enough to know that every word he utters in public is being captured. No coach is better at using these types of situations to get the attention of & motivate his players, coaches & fan base. He's also the best at getting into the heads of the opposition. Yesterday he dropped a nuclear fire bomb on Aggieland which will burn out of control until the teams meet on Oct 8 & then smolder thru the close of early signing period in Dec. He not only wants to destroy A&M in October, he wants that 8th trophy & to climb back on top of the recruiting throne **** slapping Jimbo every step of the way.

Meanwhile, Kirby😎 just sits back & quietly goes about his business whilst thinking about his upcoming trip to the bank. Go Dawgs!

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"What Saban said was not meant for outside ears."

Saban said it while holding a mic sitting between wo other miked up panelists on a stage with the cameras running at PR event for the World Games. I don't see how he couldn't have known outside ears -- and eyes -- would gobble up every word.

I think it's more likely that he's trying to publicly pressure the NCAA to the maximum extent possible to take action because the current situation ain't good for a poor state like Alabama that's never going to tap into the NIL money they have in Texas.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s Great… To Be… A Georgia Bulldawg!

Ain’t nothin’ finer in the land, than a ‘loud’ obnoxious Georgia fan!

🤣

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fisher is a better recruiter. No doubt. Not saying much. But he really hasn't excelled at recruiting until he had $30M to throw around. Recruits and families see through Fisher pretty quick. He is a football coach. Period. Put him next to CKS or Saban and he pales in comparison.

BA used my word from my post yesterday in his Daily headline today. "unhinged" . That rant by Fisher was really a bad reflection on Fisher. Defending his program and players aggressively could've been handled with a lot more tact and intelligence. Somethings that Fisher apparently lacks. But it will be received well by some (who don't understand about tact).

You may be right about Saban comments aimed at trying to push for faster changes to NIL. If so, It is hard to believe Saban's information wasn't better prepared. Worded more tactfully with more verifiable info. I think some of his frustration, lack of patience and UGA closing the gap on AL has him in unfamiliar territory. He is feeling heat he hasn't felt before. Could push him to retire or could push him to want to beat aTm for 5 more years just to shut Fisher up. I'd bet on the latter.

Unlike BA, I don't think Saban "lost" the exchange. I view his apology (not for what he said but for pointing fingers) was made for legal reasons. Like I said, Saban F'd up. But Fisher came off as the kind of coach I always had my kids avoid. EVERY coach (in his right mind) is standing up for his players right to earn from NIL.

I am wondering why all this NIL stuff is so under the carpet if it is all legal? No one forcing transparency. Something will blow the top off this eventually. It has to.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban pointed his finger at Universities...not Coaches. The word Fisher or Coach Prime or Coach or Sanders...we're not uttered. The statements he made, were made numerous times by reputable publications and media outlets, since February. They aren't State secrets and there was no accusation of NCAA violations.

Jimbo specifically called a press conference to level unsubstantiated accusations at what he said was his accuser. That falls directly under the heading of libelous, for those who want to make such claims.

That being said, Texas A&M is a program that has only recruited between 1 and 3 5-star athletes in 1 recruiting cycle over 2 decades. Jimbo Fisher has never signed more than 3. He and A&M suddenly recruit 25% of the top 100 composite athletes, 8 of them 5-star players. If that doesn't warrant an NCAA investigation...what the hell does? They stuck a borescope up Ole Miss, USC and Tennessee's butt over a heck of a lot less.

Now, he may be clean, but, is everybody on his staff and in the AD'S office? That's the question. Did they communicate player demands between the players and NIL Collective and/or Boosters? That's a question that needs to be asked and answered by the appropriate authorities...not some news outlet.

I'm not even going to get into the #1 player in the Country going to Jackson St.. He says he didn't get anything and his Mom still lives in a 3 BR house with 5 siblings. If that's true...he's dumber than a soup sandwich and I feel sorry for him. Maybe he's there because of his grades and intellect...i.e., didn't qualify academically for one of the P5 Universities.

But, I don't believe for 1 second that he didn't get paid, anymore than I believe a perennial average to good recruiter suddenly broke out a record recruiting year after an 8-4 season in the SEC.

At the end of the day, Fisher is worried about his legacy. If they do win 1 or 2 Championships, it won't necessarily be because of his Coaching or Recruiting...but, because he had the best NIL Collective and Booster support in College Football. They bought his players for him...now, he has No Excuses. He has to win.

• 2statedawg2statedawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

So,............................................we're supposed to believe that all of a sudden Texas A&M is the place to be for every 5 star out there because of College Station, because it's so lovely in the fall, or because all of these players had a premonition that A&M would start dominating college football or because all of a sudden they've got the hottest women on the planet on campus or because Fisher is the greatest coach since Bear Bryant and his record at Florida State is so attractive to petulant, narcissistic 18 year old's that they just have to go to school there and get prepared to go to the NFL.

Nothing to do with their wealthy boosters and NIL. Nah

And, Fisher just had no clue of anything that the boosters were doing during the recruitment period.

Something just not adding up here folks.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's the BBQ. LOL

Seriously, though....Something occurred to me last night. It makes sense now, why Jimbo went postal on Saban.

Saban didn't mention the $30 mil price tag. Others did that for him, beginning with "Sliced Bread" in February.

Imagine if you were a highly recruited 5-star athlete that signed with A&M this year...... You get on campus and meet half of the other 23 4&5-star guys that came out of the Top 100. The rest will join the team for Summer OTA's and conditioning, after Graduating HS. You were approached with a $200,000 NIL deal and you're happy about it. You and the other guys start talking and comparing notes on various promises and deals. Most are fairly satisfied with where they stand.....Then it hits! News of $30 Mil used to buy the signing class. You know you were in the Top 10 of the Class and you only got $200,000. Everybody else "said" they got similar deals. Uh-oh...where did all the money go? Who got the most money? Which of my teammates is lying about what they got? Am I the only one that got suckered? Coach won't talk talk to me about it. He says he doesn't have anything to do with NIL deals and can't discuss it. $29.8 MIL went somewhere and it wasn't to sign me. I'm getting rooked. F__k the Aggies, if that's all they think of me...I want out.

That is going through the mind of every player on that team and discontent is contagious. The rookies and the veterans are all quietly questioning their decision to go to, or stay in, College Station. They're bitter 'cause they didn't get their fair share.

It doesn't matter if there actually was $30 MIL or not. If the players believe there was, then the effect is the same. Perception is 9/10ths of reality.

This has Jimbo scared shitless. Team morale and chemistry, headed in the wrong direction, is a very, very difficult thing to turn around. It could cost him the team and several transfers before everything is said and done.

I understand now, why he was so adamant and defensive. It's already begun. The team is going to tear itself apart from within over greed and distrust. I've seen it before and it ain't pretty. That little show he put on, was for the benefit of the players, especially the ones that haven't arrived yet. He's trying to convince them that $30 MIL didn't exist. The guys that aren't on campus yet, are probably asking questions and wondering why they aren't getting big bucks, like the internet, media and Fans say they are.

"SHOW ME THE MONEY" is going through a lot of young Aggie minds right now, like a runaway train. Jimbo is doing everything he can to stop it...while Saban is pouring on the coals. LMAO

Coach Prime Sanders and his #1 recruit are trying to do the same thing. They can't have 98% of the team thinking 2% got a $1 MIL deal. It would destroy team chemistry. I'm willing to bet, there aren't many players, playing for Jackson St. getting NIL deals. And, Sanders remarking that he doesn't get paid $1 MIL doesn't mean a darned thing. He would coach that team for free...he doesn't need the money.

Denying that these deals exist or that the money is on the table,, is falling on deaf ears. I think that horse is out of the barn. They might as well go ahead and admit it and at least preserve "trust", cause once that goes...game over.

• rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

That was 100% meant for public consumption. Frankly Saban doesn't care if it was taken as a call for more booster money at UA, more regulation federally, or to sow discord at A&M. He simply sees an issue and wants it corrected one way or another (be it by regulation or boosters).