Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Darnell Washington promises big things for Georgia football ahead of 2022 season: ‘Just watch’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageDarnell Washington promises big things for Georgia football ahead of 2022 season: ‘Just watch’

Georgia football tight end Darnell Washington is looking to put on a show during his junior season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA TE Room: Gilbert, Delp, Bowers, Washington, Seither, and Goede. Darnell has his work cut out for him, huh? He will need that "trick up his sleeve" he talks about. This is a loaded room. I expect Bowers to be making a statement as well. UGA could have its best TE year ever. Bring on The Ducks.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs' offense is going to be nasty this year. Going for a three-peat as National Champs next season!

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I have to say is...

GO DAWGS!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

A few observations of names mentioned in this article.

Washington. The sky is the limit ASSUMING he can stay healthy. Big players tend to get bigger when they are rehabbing injuries. Puts a lot of stress on the feet and lower legs. A lot of lower leg injuries so far at UGA has really hampered his progress and production. Another player (besides Milton at RB) that will have metered touches to try to ensure that he is healthy and available all season.

Bowers. Was as good as any TE in the country last year. Great hands and insane catch radius. That being said expect less statistically from BB this year with the UGA depth at the position and D's scheming for him. BB also played through injuries last year that he won't have to this year with the UGA depth.

SBIV. With 3 years as a starter at the college level and 3 years in Monken's O, SBIV needs to progress in his decision making, reads and command of the whole offensive scheme. Seeing his progressions, using the whole field and cutting down on mistakes could carry UGA to another CFBC. That is the ceiling for this team.

We could still see Gilbert spending time at WR this fall IF he works out like a mad man this summer to drop some weight.

Also BA quoted a national writer that said Arch Manning should not go to UGA because of the offense. Arch wouldn't be able put up numbers. Before last year EVERYBODY was saying the same thing about TE's not going to UGA. BB's had talent and was utilized. Manning would be the same story provided he is up to the task.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Monken needs to get big Wash involved more in the offense. The guy is a big body and stand at 6'7'. That is a mismatch all by itself, especially in the red zone.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally disagree with the assumption that Arch would not go to UGA because he won’t be able to put up the numbers. Actually, the NFL scouts look at a gazillion more things than total yards passing. Stetson was one of the top 4 QBs last year in practically every category other than yardage per game. Add to that he was MVP in both playoff games. Pretty dang good for a former walk-on. Imagine how a 5-star QB will perform if Bennett was able to have those accomplishments and stats. Arch is likely salivating and not deterred. Go Dawgs!!!

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You allude to an important point: While the TE room is ridiculously loaded, each of the three marquee TEs flashes different talents, giving a creative OC like Monken lots of variety to work with.

Washington can play the Fitzpatrick blocking role while having a lot more catching, jumping and -- given that one play last year -- hurdling ability than Fitz had.

Bowers and Gilbert have more in common and are spectacular receiving talents. But, if Gilbert gives up a few pounds, he may serve as a sort of jumbo WR-X who'd create matchup issues.

I'm not even getting into Goede and Seither (each of whom would be No. 1 or 2 of the depth chart at most Power 5 schools), or Delp (who's very talented and even seems ready, but also seems like a good candidate to redshirt).

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

100% correct. UGA is not going to run out of a typical pro-style offense next year. There's no way Monkin is going to 2 of those guys for half a ball game. Too much talent and tial production at the TE position for that.

Look for Monkin to run out of 3 and 4 TE sets (13 & 14). UGA is going to create mismatches on the edge, over the middle...all over the field, using TE's, RB's and WR's. And Bennett is going to have a field day, picking out the one-on-one matchup he wants to go to, every passing play. With his experience, accuracy and mobility, he is the perfect QB to run this style offense with air-raid principles. AD Mitchell, Arian Smith, Blaylock and Kearis Jackson are going be a nightmare for DBs in man coverage.

No defensive backfield in the league, can cover all of these guy's on the field at the same time. You might be able to shut down 1 or 2 studs...but, you can't shut down 5. And, that's what Monkin's gonna do, IMO. It's what I would do.

Delp Redshirting would be a waste. He's got Bowers and Gilbert talent. He will only be at UGA 3yrs...red-shirt or not. Mark Richt said, one of his biggest mistakes as UGA HC, was red-shirting Knowshon Moreno. He didn't stick around 4 yrs either, which means UGA lost a year of production out of one of the most talented RB's to play College Football.

Monkin and Smart will find a way to get all their play-makers on the field in 2022. I suspect Delp will be one of them.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Not sure how much PT Seither and Goede will get. Unless there are injuries. Both Jr's with 3 yrs (?) eligibility left. They can PROBABLY afford to wait for bigger roles until Gilbert and Washington leave for the NFL after this season. Honestly I was surprised there were no TP defections from the TE room. There are only so many reps 6 TE's can get. UGA also has 6 WR's and 3-4 RB's that need to play. Only 5 of those 15-16 players can play on any play. You can play 4 TE's and 1 RB on short yardage plays. But if you play too much single WR it will be very difficult to recruit WR's (and Arch Manning).

Have to figure a lot of 3 TE formations with Bowers or Gilbert (and maybe Delp) flexing in or out. I don't see Delp red shirting but I also don't see him ready for the NFL or to be a high draft choice after 3 seasons. He'll be in the Bowers role his Sr year and showcased for the highest draft position. TE in the NFL is a full grown man's position. Players benefit greatly , in production and in draft position, by staying that extra year to mature physically and develop their skillset.

Washington will not be a happy camper if doesn't do a lot more receiving to go with his blocking. BUT he has to get healthy and stay healthy. His health is first. Once that is there you may see his play count reduced but his targets increased.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Offense will carry the capable, but young defense during the first 3-4 games in 2022. Then when all of the parts are melding as a unit we will be ranked in the top 3 in the nation. Looks like strong possibility of playing Bama twice again for the championship.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

I've been getting that feeling as well. Georgia will always have a strong defense as long as Smart is here (especially with Muschamp in the fold). And as good as the offense was last year, it should be noticeably better this year. By mid-season or so, this team has a real chance to be better than last year's. Nothing is given, of course. They still have to go out and do it. But the possibility is there, and I like their chances.

Speaking of "nothing is given"....it's not "given" that BAMA's gonna win the West, either. I see definite weaknesses in that team, going into the season...so far, anyway. That may change. But, I give them about an 80% chance. Which is still good, but, not the certainty you get from a lot of the talking heads. They're lazy and stopped doing their homework on BAMA. They just expect the status quo...much like most of the AP/UPI analysts did before the "playoff era". That's just my opinion.