Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONAL CORN ON THE COB DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of my summer favorites!!!

NATIONAL CORN ON THE COB DAY

As we approach the first day of summer, June 11th marks the calendar to celebrate National Corn on the Cob Day each year. Fresh corn on the cob is a summertime treat people from all corners of the United States look forward to as we start the picnic season.

In different regions of the country, corn on the cob is known as pole corn, cornstick, sweet pole, butter-pop, sweet corn, or long maize. Picking the corn when the kernels are tender and in its milk stage serves up sweeter kernels. 

Boiling, steaming, roasting, and grilling are the most common ways to prepare corn on the cob. When grilling or roasting sweet corn, the husks may be left on to retain moisture and flavor during the cooking process. 

While it might seem rude, proper dinner etiquette for eating corn says holding the cob at each end with your fingers is appropriate. Serving corn on the cob with other seasonings, butter or oils can add even more flavor. On June 10th, we celebrated National Herbs and Spices Day. Anything you learned while celebrating that day can also be applied while enjoying your corn on the cob! Consider roasting your sweet corn with a little cilantro and chili pepper. 

As the flavor of fresh corn on the cob calls to us, get the butter and the salt shaker ready. The time is ripe to invite friends and family for grilling and that includes corn on the cob. Add corn on the cob to your favorite seafood boil. Whether it’s spice or mild, the sweet corn will be a crowd-pleaser. 

AND NOW....FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ATE YOUR DESSERT (AND THOSE WHO DIDN"T) !!!

NATIONAL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY

On June 11th, National German Chocolate Cake Day celebrates a cake with American roots. It also happens to be one of the top 10 favorite cakes in America.

Although the name may sound like the cake originated in Germany, it did not. The cake’s roots can be traced back to 1852 when American Sam German made a type of dark baking chocolate for the American Baker’s Chocolate Company. Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate’s brand was named in honor of Sam German.

Over 100 years later in 1957, a recipe for “German’s Chocolate Cake” appeared as the Recipe of the Day in the Dallas Morning Star. This recipe, created by Mrs. George Clay, used Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate, and it became quite popular. During this time, General Foods owned Baker’s brand and distributed Mrs. Clay’s recipe to other newspapers around the country. The current name of German Chocolate Cake, as we know it today, came to be as publications started dropping the ‘s.

Celebrate by enjoying a piece of German Chocolate Cake.

German Chocolate Cake recipe

Comments

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love silver queen sweet corn.

Its great grilled with a little chili powder and lemon juice. Sprinkled with Parmesan for the last few mins of grilling. If you have a grill with a top rack it’s great for corn on the cob.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The recipe I use was given to me by a friend, but must have been inspired by elote corn.

I wasn’t aware of elote corn but I’ll definitely try a more original recipe soon. Thanks for pointing that out.

Elote is what they call corn on the cob in Spanish. Not sure if there is a corn type with that name. Maybe.

Lol. Not a type, just a dish also called Mexican street corn. My Spanish vocabulary is almost non-existent so I didn’t catch onto your meaning. I just searched elote corn and it was grilled corn with many ingredients including chili powder. So I assumed you were referring to this.

edited June 2022

@Joe31 Must be like "chorizo". In the US, chorizo refers to a Mexican style sausage, but chorizo is just sausage of any type. Could be Italian, bratwurst or whatever. They're all chorizos .