Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What social media is saying after Arch Manning commits to Texas over Georgia football, Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat social media is saying after Arch Manning commits to Texas over Georgia football, Alabama

The biggest recruit in the 2023 recruiting cycle is off the board, as Arch Manning made his commitment on Thursday. In his first-ever tweet, Manning announced that he would be playing for the University of Texas.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arch committed to a place he feels is best for him to go to. But remember, it's only a verbal commitment as of now. He hasn't officially signed just yet. Things could still change, you know. He may decommit and commit to Texas A&M, causing all the Shorthorn fan's heads to explode! 🤣

GO DAWGS!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Create shock waves???? Common CR. Not a real surprise. Look at our QB room!!

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

No surprise. Hope that he has a successful career at Texas. Glad that he is going there. Too much hoopla surrounding him. More drama than we need. Football is a team sport. QB is a catalyst position but there are plenty of good ones out there, maybe even better ones. And there is always the proverbial portal. LOL

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I didnt really think he was coming anyway. At Texas he's number 1 on the depth chart. At Uga he's another talented qb in the room.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He seems like a classy young man and hope that Dawg Nation remains classy and accepts his decision.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas could offer more, because they need him more. There will be no challenges in that QB room for him and texas will open the offensive playbook for him. No doubt, there was some NIL cash involved as well. Manning will do well there, but I can't help wondering how many championships he could have won at Georgia with an offense that is loaded and a great defense that would keep opponents in check.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really don't agree. A pro-style QB like Manning needs pro-style personnel on the OL and at WR to succeed. UGA doesn't have that. They would get some guys who would come to Athens to play with Manning, but by the time the linemen in particular are ready to start Manning will be off to the NFL. The QBs that UGA have now are better fits for the talent that UGA has on hand. And yes, a couple of them will likely compete against Manning in the NFL (Carson Beck, who has a great arm strength/height/mobility ratio, has the best shot).

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no guarantee that UGA was Arch’s 2nd choice. Bama could have easily been ahead of us and the fact that the Tide had a 4-star QB commit several weeks ago has absolutely nothing to do with Arch’s decision. In fact, we offered that same player and I’m sure we would have accepted his commitment several weeks ago while waiting on Arch’s decision. At least Arch isn’t going to be a Gator 🤮. Go Dawgs!!!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It will be interesting to watch the QB battle at Texas. If you think our QB room is slammed, how will the Longhorns juggle the #1 player in the nation in 2021 (Quinn Ewers) and Arch? Both had perfect scores in their recruiting ratings and Ewers has 4 years of eligibility remaining. Should be fun to watch. Go Dawgs!!!

• ChiefChief Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • ChiefChief Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every one of our quarterbacks have the potential to win the Heisman and to lead the Dawgs to the top 5 (one won us the Nat. already). Every year is covered wth depth. Save that scholarship for a loyal grunt who will appreciate the chance to be in such a great program!

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No manning has ever won a national championship. Georgia overall has 3 more than the manning family. Go Dawgs!!

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What planet are you on? Georgia has been rated by many experts to have one of the top 3 offensive lines in the country.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arch was never going to come to UGA as I said at the beginning of all of his recruiting circus. THe fact that it came down to us and Texas is a tribute to where UGA is right now, but I think we all know that the perception at UGA is we're a run first , throw when necessary, take a few shots, team while not exclusively, then mostly.

One only has to look at passing attempts. per game in the past few years to see that we lag behind other teams. It's not a criticsm at all , it's just been in the past we have lacked the best WR's compared to other team positions where we have gotten the creme of the crop.

Read the latest article above describing the genius of Sarkesian and you see how it all fits together. Sark they felt like along with their QB coach could develop Arch better than Monken, but also the elephant in the room is CKS's philosophy(at least in perception or past experience, not that he couldn't change with the times, perhaps as as quick as this year, has been one of run the ball to set up play action.

Yeh, yeh, I know he should come to UGA to play for NC's, but what QB worth his salt doesn't think he could go to a major program like Texas and lead them back to prominence under a coach who has one a NC?

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I said it months ago that Texas was the school for 3 reasons:

1. Texas oil money
    2. National Sports Media loves Texas
    3. Dallas, Texas and the Cowboys

Arch will also be playing in a weaker league for 2 years. Does the management of JT Daniels enter into the discussion.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I would personally argue that I think this is best for us.

First off, lets be thankful he didn't wind up at an SEC school (especially Bama) or even a Top 5 school. Let the kid go to Texas, get record breaking numbers with them never coming close to the Top 10.

Frankly, we don't need more QBs as we've seen what happens when you just grab all of the best QBs you can find and don't REALLY have a plan for them. We need a year of "breathing room" in the QB room and need to let Bennett finish his college career and have Beck (who has turned from looking pretty bad to pretty good), Vandagriff and Stockton all have chances to shine.

Target to get a solid QB or two next year and we should be in excellent shape in that position.