Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett top Heisman Trophy candidate for Georgia, needs strong run game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett top Heisman Trophy candidate for Georgia, needs strong run game

ATHENS —Kirby Smart doubled down on his quarterback room when Arch Manning jilted his championship program, choosing a shaky 5-7 Texas over the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once again Bennet will have to make the naysayers look foolish. What's new? Right? This year will be the Coup de Grace. Mark my words if everyone stays relatively healthy, he will throw for 4 TD's a game average. Don't think Monken doesn't take Arch choosing Texas didn't ruffle his feathers. He has something to prove and SB is the man to prove it with.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

Interesting Vegas shows JTD as having better odds than SB4

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What Stetson Bennett shows is that UGA was so good in 2021 that it won a National Championship with an average quarterback.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty cool how SB4's photo above is the perfect Heisman pose, but in real action. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

You are correct. Bennett compared to other starting quarterbacks is average at best. If Georgia gets behind and has to pass, they will be in trouble. It would have been very unlikely that Bennett would have won the starting job at any other SEC school had he decided to transfer.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t believe a Heisman Trophy is in the cards for any of our Dawgs. We are so “team” oriented and it’s not in Kirby’s DNA to showcase individual players. He spreads the wealth with our receivers and running backs. Most of our great backs would consider a 1000 yard season a monumental accomplishment…..and a great season for receivers would be 700-800 yards. As far as QBs…..Kirby will call off the Dawgs in every game where we are leading by 24 in the 4th quarter so forget our QBs running-up the stats like some other teams we know. Also, I think we will see light years more action this year from our back-ups since they used their redshirts last season and Bennett now has ample experience with the 1st string offense. Don’t forget the statistical odds on winning the Heisman are based on more factors than just talent. The Vegas oddsmakers know that Kirby won’t let any player have gaudy stats so they all will have poor odds even if they are amazing athletes. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Which is a better testament to an OC? Having a 5star put up Heisman numbers or a guy who basically wasn't even recruited by D-1 school put up similar numbers to the 5 star guy? Just watch, it's coming. Young will be hard pressed to throw for 49 TD's again without Metchie and Williams and another dude they lost. SB will throw for 40 this year.

It's whats going to bring in some of the top tier guys in receiving. Wait for it.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That list should tell you everything you need to know about the Heisman. DJ Uiagalelei Is #7 on the "list". LOL. Tell me another one. That's right, he had a Dr Pepper commercial last year...definitely worthy.

In the tune of Meghan Trainor's "All About That Base"

...."It's all about that hype..bout that hype...bout that hype...no performance"...

Let's just wait and see what happens on the actual Football Field this year. To hell with media hype.

• Options

You mean, like they did in the CFP? Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe it was Bennett that led his team to victory in the 4th qtr...not Young. That's what's real. Not all the anti-hype. LOL

• Options

"The Heisman" doesn't hold as much value as it once did. There have been too many Heisman NFL busts and people see it for what it is....a Popularity contest based solely on media hype. Every now and then they get it right.

Herschel Walker should have actually won the award 2 or 3 times, but the Yankee Sportswriters wouldn't have none of it. His Freshman Year was one of the single best and most dominant seasons I've ever seen from a player that DIDN'T win the Heisman. Why???? Because he was a Freshman. BS

• Options
    BG522BG522 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

I hope Bennett don't make to many sudden stops, it be awful the wreck that would cause with so many hypers out there running into him.

• Options

Hype??? LOL. Nah, just reality, that gets brushed aside. So...people that know better, have to get behind the kid and push...while fans and media like you, are constantly getting in his way. He'll never get up enough steam for your metaphor to take place. If he does, I'll be more than happy to stand to the side and watch.

I'm watching the Orange Bowl Game against Michigan, again....and get this. I missed it before, I guess....or forgot.

In the 1st half alone....

Bennett avoided a sack by Hutchinson that would have amounted to -5 yds. Instead he scrambled for a 20 yd gain, breaking 2 tackles, to keep an eventual FG drive alive. FYI, not the 1st or last time he pulled that off.

Bennett and the Dawgs scored 2 TDs in the 1st qtr. Michigan's defense only allowed 22 points in the 1st qtr, all year. Moreover, Michigan only allowed 1 TD in the 1st qtr all year, in the very 1st game of the season against Western Michigan. FG's accounted for the remaining 15 points.

Bennett threw a 53 yd pass to James Cook, down the right side line to the 15 yd line. Dropped it in perfectly over his shoulder. That was the longest pass play Michigan's defense has allowed all year.

1st time since 2010 that the Michigan defense allowed points in an opponent's first 4 possessions. I don't know how long it's been since they allowed points on an opponent's first 5 possessions....which Bennett did, by topping his earlier "longest pass play against Michigan in 2021" to Cook. He threw a 57 yd TD pass to Burton to put UGA on top of the #4 ranked Scoring Defense in the Nation to the tune of 27-3 @ the half.

Reality and execution...it's what's for dinner. Enjoy. LOL

BTW, your poor Grammer indicates, you are probably a BAMA or Tech fan. Say it ain't so. Should have used "doesn't" and "too"..."would" between "it" and "be"..."an" after "be"...eliminate "the" after awful...You know what? Just rewrite it. It's unintelligible as written. Had to read it a couple of times, to make sure I understood what you were saying. LMAO

• Options

@MikeGriffith

BTW Mike, here's a reality check for that Hypesman Trophy List....

CJ Stroud is the top guy, right? Let's compare apples to apples. Michigan was a common opponent for Bennett and Stroud in 2021. Michigan had the #13 Total Defense and #4 Scoring Defense (regular season). Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Well, Stroud only managed to to gain 81 more yards than Bennett through the air against the very same defense on 19 more attempts, for an 8.0 yd/att avg. He scored the same number of points in 4 qtrs that Bennett scored in 2 qtrs (27 pts). Bennett finished the game with 34 points and 3 TD's, while Stroud only had 2 TD's.

Stroud's stats for the game are as follows: 34/49, 394 yds, 8.0yds/att, -30 yds rushing, -5 yds/att, longest pass=39 yds, longest rush=1 yd

Bennett's stats for the game are as follows: 20/30, 313 yds, 10.4 yds/att, 32 yds rushing, 10.7 yds/att, longest pass=53 & 57 yds, longest rush=20 yds

Which QB was most impressive against the same level of competition. Bennett, arguably played against a tougher more healthy and wiser Michigan team than Stroud.

I guess my question is, given the fact, Bennett flat outplayed Stroud against equal competition, why is he ranked so far below Stroud and all the other guys, including Young...whom he also outplayed in the CFP.

Yeah, Young was playing against the #2 Defense in the Nation...however, Bennett was playing against the #6 Defense in the Nation...and led his team back from a 4th qtr deficit to win the game. That's typically the stuff a Heisman Winner does (AKA, Bryce Young). Bennett's getting the short end of the stick. And, that needs to get fixed, if these so-called superlative lists are going to carry any credibility. Otherwise you can wipe your butt with em. LOL...just sayin.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only thing that counts is wins.

Go, Dawgs!