Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How every Georgia sport has performed over the last three seasons

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageHow every Georgia sport has performed over the last three seasons

Here’s a look at how well (or poorly) all of Georgia’s NCAA-sponsored sports have fared on both an SEC and national scale over the last three years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great idea. Good to know.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Elite sprinter Matthew Boling had much to do with UGA track and field 5th place in SEC and NCAA's this season. This young athlete is keeping UGA in the game. Also the 400 meter man....name escapes me.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure would like to at least see a "return" with UGA sports programs that in years past were dominant for years on end... teams that were perennially in the conversation of SEC if not national championships in their heyday. They did it then, so do it again. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Out of football, men's golf, men/woman swimming, baseball and somewhat track (one or two top athletes)...UGA athletics' has been abysmal the last three years... actually pathetic and embarrassing for the amount of high school talent in this state... UGA athletics has failed the flagship University in the 8th largest state in the union.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not unsolicitous of Stanford-like all sports prowess, but I can't be forlorn with the Alabamaesque returns on our 2021 Dawgs!

• Options
    TheRealDTTheRealDT Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Underwhelming across the board.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Programs like ladies gymnastics, men's tennis, swimming, even ladies basketball, used to be dominant every year. Now other than football, we consider it a moral victory if we're "competitive". Sure glad I like football. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

The 90's and into the 2000's were the heyday of the non-revenue sports. I used to follow up on them consistently as they perennially competed for conference and national titles in a lot of the sports. But I admit I haven't followed them much the past several years, and this article reminds me why. As others have said, these results are embarrassing.

• Options
    BenPBenP Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I am an avid, appreciative reader of DawgNation and a loyal Bulldog. I must say however, there are two errors that need to be officially corrected, one a misleading statement and one a glaring error. Those concern Women’s Tennis. You stated that in 2021-22 the Women’s Tennis Team had a third round exit from the SEC Tournament. Even though that is true, that is a glass half empty view. The half full view is they lost in the finals and almost won it all. 

You also stated, “Poor performances in the SEC tournament should not overshadow the women’s team’s success during the regular season and the NCAA postseason. In nine years coaching the women’s team, head coach Josh Brewer has led 29 tournament victories, including two NCAA Regional sweeps.” Are you possibly getting this confused with women’s golf? Josh Brewer is not the coach of Women’s Tennis. Jeff Wallace is head coach of Women’s Tennis. And an SEC Tournament championship in 2020-21 and runner-up in 2021-22 is far from a poor SEC Tournament performance. I would venture to say there are 13 other SEC women’s tennis programs that would love to have that record.

Coach Wallace has been HC of UGA Women’s tennis for 37 years and has won over 780 matches. That is more wins than any other active coach in college tennis. His teams have won six National Championships, (two outdoor and four indoor). They have multiple SEC titles and he is the winningest SEC coach of all time. He has also been selected as National Coach of the Year four times, a feat not achieved by any other tennis coach in NCAA history. 

I think he and his team deserve proper recognition for what they have achieved for our great university. In my opinion, a job well done. And Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BenPBenP Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

And if I may add concerning UGA Women’s Tennis, the following is the results for the last three (four) years which this article was written about:

2022 - SEC Tournament Finalist

2021 - SEC Champions and SEC Tournament Champions 

2020 - No Competition due to COVID

2019 - SEC Champions and SEC Tournament Finalist

Nationally, they finished 9th, 5th, and 2nd in those years. 

If Dawg fans love winners (and I know they do), the tennis stadium should be full for every match. Let’s give credit where credit is due.