Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

JT Daniels may be ‘smartest QB we’ve ever had,’ says West Virginia coach

2»

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT deserves a break, after doing the right thing over and over through a lot of bad luck. DGD. At his best, he's like a surgeon with a rocket instead of a scalpel.

I'm looking forward to JT lighting up a decent Pitt defense on Sept. 1. Daniel vs Slovis should be a great subplot.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I hope we can all agree he is a DGD. He stayed with us a long as he could and worked hard and was dedicated to the program and the state of Georgia.

I honestly hope he absolutely lights up the board at West Virginia and gets a great draft. He honestly deserves it.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I could easily see him being a later round pick, someone will take a chance on him. Another Tom Brady possibly?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Didn't mean to suggest that Daniels was a Joe Cox statue, in the pocket with my "wheels are flat" remark. Obviously he has some mobility, but, it's not his game. Below is an excerpt of the Smoking Musket article, I cited earlier. It's a logical realistic break down of Daniels abilities using actual PFF analytics and film breakdown. I won't go into the obvious pluses...his cannon arm and accuracy. My focus was on his downside as it relates to WV.

SMOKING MUSKET EXCERPT:

****"The one spot of concern for Daniels in the passing game, and apologies if this triggers anybody, is his performance against pressure. The dropoff isn't quite as significant as you know who, but even in his best season against pressure Daniels still only graded out in the middle of the pack in P5. I'm not saying that it's going be the same debilitating issue that it's been over the past two seasons, but if there's one red flag to keep an eye on this year this is it. Speaking of which...

JT the Runner

This is where things get interesting. There’s been a bunch of talk this spring about the three quarterbacks on campus all being athletic enough to start integrating that position a bit more into the running game, and that held true in the spring game with both Will Crowder and especially Nicco Marchiol showing off some impressive mobility. All of that goes away with Daniels, whose legs weren't much of a threat even before he tore his ACL in 2019. PFF reports just one forced missed tackle in 4 years, and overall Daniels has just 10 designed runs and 11 scrambles to his name, with all but 5 of those attempts coming in 2018 before his injury. The concern here again is basically what we've been subjected to for the last two seasons - play calls involving QB run options rendered ineffective, and increased pressure on the offensive line to keep defenders away from a QB who may not be able to consistently buy his own time."****

All that being said, he is probably the best QB they've ever had...but, they are not the best fit for Daniels. Even this reporter for The Smoking Musket acknowledged that. It's nothing personal. LOL

And, for the record, I never said you compared him to Bennett. I was using Bennett to illustrate what defines a "mobile QB". Baker Mayfield would have been another obvious comparison. Young is not, nor has he ever been considered that type of QB. Doesn't mean he can't move around in the pocket or even use escape routes or designed bootlegs to the outside. Most successful pocket passers can...it's where the live.

Since he is being invoked in the conversation...Bennett at times appeared to have eyes in the back of his head. He seemed to sense where pressure was coming from and avoid it by either rolling or running.

Smart made the remark either last year or in 2020, that Daniels needed to get better with his pocket presence, which has nothing to do with his mobility or athleticism.

Besides the article previously cited...last year's NFL Scouting report, also identified pocket presence as an area that needs improvement. Quote from the Report, "he takes too many sacks, needs to make quicker decisions and get rid of the ball faster". That's what WV is worried about, because they were dealing with QB Pressures and Sacks over the last few years, with the QB's they already have.

• Options

And BTW, you are probably right about Young. Time will tell. He needs to bulk up a little bit, though. At 5'11"/190lbs, he's a bit small, which is one of the hits against Bennett. While not a duel threat, he CAN run and throws well on the run, which is exactly what you want in a QB. Not to mention his ability to sling the ball all over the field. He's probably gonna be one of the greats if he can stay healthy.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If JT Daniels cannot elevate himself to the league, would be great if he became at grad assistant to Buster Faulkner. He'll come back to Athens someday, sooner the better. Best of luck to a DGD!

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, dang, too bad Brady can't run a 4.4. forty, he might make something of himself. JT's prominent "assets" are his brain (notably his FB IQ), his arm, and his confidence (some things Brady has a bit of himself). "Smartest QB they're ever had at WV?" Not surprised.

JT was calling plays at Mater Dei as a Sophomore, which no one has done, before or since (including Bryce, Carson Palmer and the others), graduated in three years with a 4.0+ average in AP courses, was the Gatorade National Player of the Year as a Junior and was starting in what should have been his H.S. Senior season (but now a college Freshman) at USC. Yeah, he's smart as a whip, and he can play the game.

Hey, like they say, this is why they play the game so we'll see, but I'm a fan and I wish him all the best. Class guy and deserving every good thing that comes to him.

• Options

LOL...Let me be as clear as possible about what I'm saying. You don't use a Phillips Head screwdriver, when you need a Flat Head. QB's are similar in that respect. Some fit into a spread offense with air-raid principles, some fit into a prostyle offense with air-raid principles, some fit into a wishbone or triple option or power-I. A very select few can operate all of the above.

Daniels doesn't "fit" the style of offense that UGA and WV ran out of "last year". That doesn't mean that WV can't or won't try to redesign their offense around Daniels....but, do they have the talent to do that Effectively? I don't think so. That's all I'm saying.

And, for the record, Brady would not be as successful running ot of any other style of offense than he's operated at NE or Tampa. He's a Mathew Stafford, Kurt Warner style passer. Needs receivers and protection, just like all the rest. He's been fortunate to be surrounded by great talent throughout his career.

Seems that the QB position gets far too much credit for a team's success and far too much blame for their failure. Can you imagine what Matt Ryan would have accomplished if he was surrounded by consistently grea talent? 2016-17 was just a sample. That'why it's amazing, what Belichick has accomplished at NE.