Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 burning questions 2022 SEC Media Days: Is Georgia football losing momentum?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
image3 burning questions 2022 SEC Media Days: Is Georgia football losing momentum?

ATHENS — Has Georgia football lost its championship momentum?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s a lot of football to be played and official visits to be had between now and the early signing period. UGA is in outstanding shape at this point compared to where we have stood in recruiting in previous Julys under Kirby.

“Commitment” means very little if anything in this new era of college football. Momentum means nothing in the middle of a marathon. It means everything when the finish line is in sight and that is when Kirby is at his best!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We were never going to get Arch(read some of the other articles out there on the internet), so that's no real loss. How can you lose what you never had? As far as Haynes, I wish him well, but to be the number 4 runner in the nation? I'm no expert but his tape did nothing for me, if anything, it was uninspiring. Lots of long runs where he gets through the line untouched(nobody there) and takes it to the house. How often is that going to happen in College in the SEC? Give me a burner with some stinky leg, fast twitch, reverse field, brake your ankle type guy.

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would not trade any of the current QB's or RB's for Manning or Haynes. I prefer Dawgs that want to be Dawgs...

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not just losing Arch or J Haynes recently, it's the growing trend of UGA losing ground in elite O recruiting. I naively thought winning the Natty would improve our O recruiting but it's just not playing out that way unless you're a TE. Elite O recruits want immediate playing time, stats and NIL. We don't offer any of that comparatively to our chief completion. Bama loses the Natty yet elite O recruiting continues to improve. UGA wins the Natty yet elite O recruiting continues to decline. I don't care how great our D recruiting is, if we don't start getting blue chip O recruits, our program will start a slow decline in the coming years. What to do? I don't know, but we'd better have an aggressive response to this or we may be in trouble.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched his tapes and did a little dig on his qualifications, as well. I totally agree. If you look at the level of competition they were playing against, it would be a disappointment if he couldn't break off a few untouched runs.

Only 1 pass play on the whole tape. And,, that was nothing special...just your average,, run-of-the-mill route across the middle, about 7 yds downfield. Why even put it on the tape...unless it's the only time he was targeted out of the backfield. LOL.

What I found most interesting, was that he went unranked in 2020 (his Sophmore year). He went straight to the top "before" last year (his Junior year). How does that happen? What was the meteoric rise in ranking based on? Unless, maybe, he has somebody working PR for him and calling in a few favors. If he is the #1 to #4 RB...I don't think the talent pool at that position is very deep this year.

Just sayin'...not a prize target...not a big loss. I liked Branson Robinson better.

We are on our 3rd OL coach in the past what? 3years? As far as playing time for Freshmen? That's not the norm. THe OL is one position where you need seasoning, growth and college strength and conditioning to go up against the best DL in the SEC.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

I agree, without the Manning name, he'd be a 4* at best..GoDAWGS!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has Georgia football lost its championship momentum?

Georgia hasn't even gotten used to its championship momentum much less had time to misplace one iota of it.

Sorry, Mike, but it's not a burning question in anyone's mind other than yours.

Trust in Kirby. Recall that history is the best predictor of the future. Notice what Kirby & Company have already accomplished and evaluate the fundamentals of the UGA football program before asking such a silly question.

Try this instead: Has Nick Saban forgotten how to win football games? It makes about as much sense.

Go, Dawgs!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace Actually, Jim, I filed the story this morning and was listening to Peter Burns and Chris Doering on the SEC Network, and I chuckled because one of their big questions for SEC Media Days was if Georgia could sustain its success.

So, yeah, people do wonder if the Bulldogs are on the brink of their own dynasty, or a one year flash like Auburn with Cam and LSU with Burrow.

Time will tell, but the Dawgs have a lot of talent!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith thank you. It is a question that many people are asking, or at least thinking at this point. Thank God that CKS and his staff don't wear rose-colored glasses like many UGA fans. I guarantee they're asking themselves what's going on, and what can they do better. Smart people (no pun intended) do that to keep getting better. Asking this question does NOT mean that it is a fact, only that the recent events have caused some speculation along those lines. And I am just amazed at so-called Georgia fans who have suddenly decided that since Justice Haynes committed to Alabama, he must be overrated. They say they've watched his film and he's not that great. One person even "criticized" him for breaking through the line and running untouched into the endzone. Excuse me, but isn't that the goal, from Pee-Wee League to the NFL? They say he just runs in a straight line. Oh, you mean like Nick Chubb or Zamir White, or that Walker fellow from back in the day. The sky is not falling for UGA football. Or even for the UGA offense. Few, if anyone, would say that it is. But should the powers-that-be take some time to reflect and try to see if there is a potential problem looming somewhere? Perhaps so. Go Dawgs!

The LSU collapse after the 2019 season, makes this a valid question....however, Kirby Smart is not Ed Ogeron. So, I think that makes it a little easier to answer the question head-on. "Hell no...just getting started."

Are the media guys looking at the SEC with BAMA blinders on? It's like Bob Dylan once sang, "The times, they are a changin" and UGA is leading the way. They aren't the only team on the rise either. But, it's super-hard to predict with the other teams. Nobody is in the same league with UGA & BAMA, when it comes to talent, size and speed. BAMA seems to be losing ground, while UGA is pushing ahead.

NIL & the TP are the only things that can turn the tide on UGA. Depends on how well Smart and Saban negotiate that turn. Right now, they are the best 2 drivers on the track and they're neck and neck going into turn 4. LOL. Who's gonna put who into the wall? Or will they both come out of the other side clean, while everybody behind em piles up? Stay tuned. LOL.

Man, this is getting interesting...and fun.

@ Dallas Dog

I've watched a lot of HS players film, and no that doesn't make me an expert which I stated(remember?) It doesn't take and expert to see that if a guy gets to the line of scrimmage and runs untouched for a TD it doesn't make him Herchel Walker, it does mean his OL blew open a big hole for him. It's not the kids fault he didn't have to pick his way through, but it's also no judge of his running skills either. THe kid is a straight line or seems to be 1 cut runner which you seem to agree with, of course if you get into a hole and no defender is there why cut right? I hope he has a great career, just not against us. I just didn't see his choosing BAma as something to cry about. Do you?

I just gave my honest opinion like I assume you are giving yours. Why are you so butt hurt? If I had seen something eye-popping like say Troy Bowle's video, I would honestly say, "Dang we let a great one get away." Which I have done on here at times. I just didn't see it in the film. And I've watched Chubb's HS film too, and there is no comparison between Chubb ane Haynes, just sayin.

Having Arch Manning would be fine too, I just didn't see enough in his HS film and the competition he played against to make me cry about him. Are you?

You assume (too much) that because a player chooses another school that I made up not fully appreciating his film. Like I'm the one butt hurt. And I think you know what it make you, when you assume too much, right?

LOL...exactly right.. Any of 2 or 3 dozen RB's in this year's crop could've made those runs. He didn't "break thru the line", either. Don't know who said that. There were holes big enough to drive a truck through. Untouched, means untouched. Hard to gage his running abilities, when the o-line seems to have been blowing everybody off the ball. Some of the best downfield blocking I've seen at the HS level.....or worst defense. LOL

He's only 5'10"/185-195lbs. Small, not particularly fast, not particularly powerful, exceptional vision. Can't judge blocking or pass catching ability due to lack of evidence. Didn't see much evidence of breaking tackles, either....for that matter. I see him as a top 30 percentile RB...not a game changer. That's just my opinion.

I, too wish him well, but, I wasn't all that excited to be getting him in the first place. When I first heard about him, I liked Verron Haynes, so I took a quick look and thought...meh, okay, good for him and his Dad. I sure as hell didn't think...darn, another Herschell, Chubb, Michel, Hearst, Moreno, etal...on the way to RBU. LOL...not even in the same ballpark.

He might be a helluva RB, but, I just didn't see it. I didn't see blocks or catches out of the backfield like you see on some of the other guys' film. I just don't know what earned him such a high rating in such a short period of time.

The guy responding to you and me through a third party can't tell me anything that would change my mind. All he can do, is stomp his feet and whine about our opinions,, like a child.. LOL

Seems this guy, @DallasDawg and @UGADad20 are working together. I think they might be related or something...might even be the same guy, posting under 2 different ID's. Desperately using different writing styles, but the same ideas and terminology. One drops a **** and the other one swoops in and stands guard to make sure the pooper-scooper doesn't get it. LMAO

You know what the man said..."better to be thought to be a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt.

They attack your opinion from some personal dark place, without offering their own. I.e., state your opinion and explain why. Simple. Then you can discuss any differences in opinion. It's called give and take. Don't say, "yes he is"..."no he aint"..."yes he is"..."no he aint". LOL...That's how children debate on the playground.

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1 Love me some "stinky leg" lol!

Observation on the SEC Media Days...SECN and other correspondents, when asked about ranking the West seemed scared or extremely reluctant and intimidated, to suggest that anyone other than BAMA could challenge for the SEC East crown, this year. To the point, one correspondent suggested, if you picked anybody other than BAMA, i.e., ARK, LSU or A&M...you were "dumb". This after he practically picked A&M to challenge.

After......... losing to A&M and UGA last year...lucking out against FLA and AUB (both teams significantly challenged internally) for a last minute or overtime win....being seriously challenged by ARK, TENN and a depleted LSU team...all in 2021. Losing their 3 most productive receivers and their best OT, their lead RB and a few of their best defenders.......why is it such a stretch to suggest that LSU, ARK, A&M or Ole Miss could challenge for the SEC West. I understand the reload concept, but when they have to go to the portal to find an OT that can block, a DB that can cover, a RB that can run and a WR previously considered in the same league as Bolden (not Williams or Metchie, mind you) and all 4 guys are being touted as the best at their position, where does that put BAMA depth-wise? Seriously, we knew what Burton was at UGA. He was no better than Jackson, Mitchell, Smith or McConkey.

How, in God's name, is BAMA considered better this year than last year? Are they expecting Young and Anderson to wave their press clippings at the opposition to elicit a surrender during games? LOL.

BAMA will lose 2 or 3 games next year and lose the SEC West. That's my prediction. Remember you heard it here first....mainly because the media is afraid to call it, for fear of being minimalized and laughed at. No balls...no blue chips, guys. Call it like you see it. Be bold...don't just go along, to get along. You will not be remembered for a conservative, safe prediction. Texas might even have a little surprise for em. Everybody goes all out to beat the best and BAMA has a target the size of Texas on their back.

I get that BAMA wil take a step forward defensively, but their DB's were awful last year. THey had to grab(mug) BUrton in the NC game. THey got the RB from Tech who is really good, but they lost a 1st round and a high 2nd round receiver. Williams, like Smith before him, was basically uncoverable. If they can replace those 2(Williams and Metchie) then watch out, but I don't believe they can. They also lost their 1st round Left Tackle.

If any team is plug and play they are, but we're right there with them. We lost a couple of linemen on offense, but we have good depth there. We have just as high quality receivers(even with Burton's transfer)as them, if not better this year. THey can't match our TE's. Our RB's don't have to take a backseat to anyone.

Our defense will have to sort itself out a little as the season goes along, but by end of the year I believe they will be a formidable group.

BAMA's offense wil have to sort itself out as it goes along. I'm not sure of their schedule but if they play a tough opponent early on , they could be vulnerable offensively.

By the end of the year both UGA and BAMA will be the best versions of themselves and it should be interesting.