Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart’s strong stance on Georgia-Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart’s strong stance on Georgia-Florida

Just in case anyone was still wondering, UGA coach Kirby Smart made it clear yet again where he stands on the future of the Georgia-Florida game on Wednesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

It all comes down to money. Money and appeasing boosters in south Georgia (money again). I get it, but I am not a fan. Kirby is right, this is a big game and a home and home situation would allow him to bring the best recruits to a game they want to see every other year. Ridiculous to not give this coach what he wants. He will take every tactical advantage if the powers that be would give it to him.

• ConcernedConcerned Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

He is wrong.

Top 3 in recruiting last 5 years...so game is not hurting recruiting.

Georgia v. Florida has been televised by CBS more than any other SEC game...which helps our recruiting nationally and in Florida.

If having a home game is so important, why are we playing Clemson and Oregon at a neutral site?

It is the best game in college football...and it throws a bone to South Georgia.

• ConcernedConcerned Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Also, if we want another home game, get rid of playing Tech every year.

Rotate Tech, GA. State, and GA. Southern every year in Athens.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

Love the idea of keeping the game in Jacksonville every other year and let it be Florida’s home game. That way we keep the tradition alive and keep the Gator Nation happy 🤮 Do you think they will still let us have 50% of the tickets? Go Dawgs!!!

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Simple. Play the UGA/Tech game in Jacksonville every year instead of the Florida game. Not as much of a recruiting weekend and it gives Tech the closest thing they will get to a bowl trip each year.

• Tailgater1951Tailgater1951 Posts: 33 ✭ Freshman

With the SEC divisions disappearing plus adding teams to the conference, I believe Jacksonville will be history after next year. Who knows how often the Gators will be on our schedule.

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2022

"...… I just can’t get a Florida coach to agree with me about (moving the game).” I wonder why??* It's to FL's benefit to always be the home team.

I agree with Smart on this. We are at a disadvantage with this "neutral" arrangement. More is the credit to UGA for beating them so many times, even with this wet blanket of a schedule.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

Many CFB fans would say it was a "tradition" for UGA to be an also ran until CKS got there. This is a "tradition" who's time has passed. Give CKS what he wants. He seems to know what it takes to make the program elite. Making the program elite and keeping it elite are not the same thing in this new age of CFB.

I would be surprised if the UGA "home" game remains in Jax past '23. I would be shocked if the game remained in Jax beyond '25.

This game will be must see CFB no matter where it is played. Huge to see a raucous crowd at Sanford as UGA takes FU to the woodshed between the hedges.

UGA does not make that much from the arrangement. The money pumped into Athens and the state, every other year, far exceeds what UGA is paid. Surprised the state isn't pressuring UGA behind the scenes to bring this game to the state of GA. Might be worth dropping an email to the Governor.

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

USC and UCLA are now in the BIG 10. The WLOCP will come to an end as well.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Too bad Savannah doesn't have the capacity to hold the game. That would be as much a neutral site as Jacksonville (translation =neither is neutral). Go home and home or alternate Jacksonville/Atlanta. Giving the Gators a home game every year sucks.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd rather petition for a rule change to host recruits at traditional neutral site games like this. That seems like a pretty easy fix to me. Sadly, the world doesn't seem to do easy anymore.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's time to start a new tradition. Nearly 90 years in Jacksonville is long enough. Living here in Bham, everyone used to believe moving the Iron Bowl to the campuses would ruin the rivalry. Since they started playing the game in Auburn & Tuscaloosa, the excitement around the game has exploded. Last call should have happened for the WLOCP 25+ years ago. Bringing revenue, jobs, people & the rest of the country to Athens on a Halloween weekend when the weather is cool, leaves are changing, & the aroma of grills fill the air all over campus would be Heaven on earth.