Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett shrugs off critics, Kirby Smart ‘fine’ with people doubting Georgia quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett shrugs off critics, Kirby Smart ‘fine’ with people doubting Georgia quarterback

ATLANTA — Kirby Smart embraces any lack of respect for Stetson Bennett, to the point he waved it around like a red flag in front of a bull at SEC Media Days.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, great quote from Bennett at the end of your article MG. Thanks for all the reporting you are doing in Atlanta this week! GO DAWGS!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stets is right...NIL is not what college football should be about. It wasn't before NIL was introduced and it should not be now. Without the game itself, there is no NIL. Stets has his priorities in order. I believe he will have a great final season.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Mike, it's worth noting that Greg McElroy has the unique perspective of being a former BAMA NC QB and the SECN Correspondent that covered the UGA G-Day game....while observing in the offensive backfield. He saw first hand, what Bennett can do.

For McElroy to place Bennett as the #2 QB in the SEC, is saying something...and other media members will follow. The hype spin is slowly rotating in the other direction. By the GAvFL game, he could very well be one of the premier QB's in the Country and on everybody's Heisman list.

The ball's in Bennett's court, now. He has to perform and show improvement in the decision making area of his passing game, which I fully expect to be the case. He should approach this year with much more confidence than the previous two and won't feel the need to press a play that isn't there. You can call it "decision making" or "patience"...either way, that was his only real weakness in 2020-21.

IMO...Confidence and patience are not mutually exclusive. They go hand-in-hand. That's why I think the 2022 version of Stetson Bennett is going to blow the "negative Bennett narrative" out of the water.

I'd like to see Smart and Monkin, pick either Beck or Vandergriff, to platoon with Bennett this year. Kind of like...no, exactly like Mark Richt did, with David Green and DJ Shockley, in Green's Senior season. It didn't take away from Green's 2004 contribution and was instrumental in Shockley's follow-on success. In his one and only year as "the starter" (2005), Shockley won the SECC and was drafted in the 7th round of the 2006 NFL Draft by....that's right...the Atlanta Falcons! LOL

For the record, I think I would go with Vandergriff due to his exception mobility. He has a cannon for an arm too...but, maybe not as accurate as Bennett or Beck. It depends on the type offense UGA plans to run in 2023-24.

Okay....time to play ball! LOL

@MikeGriffith

BTW, I liked the question you asked Napier today. I didn't realize he was recruiting Bennett at the same time UGA offered him in 2018. Ya learn something everyday. LOL

@MikeGriffith

Also, in retrospect, FLA's hiring of Napier, and UGA's non-committal of Bennett as "starter" the previous two seasons, may have had something to do with Bennett's initial hesitancy to assert he would return to UGA "unless he could trust the decisions of UGA Staff". Napier may have been in his ear and on his mind. Just sayin...it lines up.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yup. I don't know who said it, but at some point during the post-game after the Natty, somebody said something like, "He loves the Dawg nation more than the Dawg nation loves him". (Not THE Dawgnation...)

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson Bennett could cure cancer and it still wouldn't be enough. Why? Because people have their minds made up and (in their minds) there is no way he can consistently do what he did last year...as if he was lucky or the defense bailed him out, whatever. Folks fall in love with prototypes--see DJ Ukulele (shout out to Uncle Lou). He hits all the measurables but he can't win on the big stage, at least not yet. I hate it for Stetson, because he HAS proven himself, but as I've said about any of these guys who put themselves out their for a sport, you do have a choice.

Most people, today, allow the news media to make their mind up for them. LOL. They turn on the news to find out what they think and how they feel, today.

I don't know what happened to our education system. Where kids are discouraged from questioning the substance and source of their information.

That's how a guy like Bennett is relegated to obscurity. While a guy like Michael Avenatti, an attorney lionozed by MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC...and hyped to be the next POTUS, while he was attacking the POTUS they vilified...is now sitting in prison for blackmail, bribery and fraud. I think it's safe to say, Aventis won't be President. LOL

The news media vouched for Avenatti....they also vouched for Biden...they vilified Trump...they also vilified Bennett. Based on their track record, I think I'll choose my own winners...thank you very much. LOL. They bare no responsibility or accountability for what they present to the people. That's corruption in a nutshell. And, I'll probably be canceled or censored for even mentioning it. By whom? Accountability...responsibility...that's my point.

Bennett could be on the cusp of a Heisman year, but, he doesn't carry the royal bloodline of the hyped 5 star athlete. He's just a peon...one of the lowly unanointed. He wasn't blessed by the press. LOL. It's like the movie, "A knight's Tale", all over again. He must present his Royal Patents in order to compete for the top prize...The Heisman. An award of stats, not performance. And, yes, there is a difference.

Go Dawgs...Bennett for Heisman!

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I will say this about Stetson. He will be a success no matter what he does in life. Not because he won a Natty and people will carry him, but because his attitude is that of a winner. He works for it, he earns it, and he should be darn proud. I love watching this guy and an overlooked fact is he and Heisman winner Bryce Young aren't too terribly diiferent in size. Stet migh actually be quicker. And he's been able to stay healthy even when he's taken some big shots. Season can't get here fast enough! Those that doubt him...well I don't get that. How could you not root for this guy to take your team to the top?

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith I noticed you asked Kirby about his familiarity with Objective Constancy. Where were you headed? Just curious. Lol

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

The Heisman. An award of stats, not performance. And, yes, there is a difference.

Excellent Point!