Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Standout freshmen, Arik Gilbert updates and other key Georgia football takeaways from SEC media days

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageStandout freshmen, Arik Gilbert updates and other key Georgia football takeaways from SEC media days

Georgia football wrapped up SEC Media days on Wednesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In many ways, Georgia has a better team. But, without Jordan Davis, I don't know that they can win it all. Also, you need two or three levels of players, and the dawgs are very young at the second level. So many players want to start, but what they really should want is time to grow into a position.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We just need our own version of a Wll Anderson to step up. He stepped up and was the best player on BAMA's team as a sophmore of Freshman (whatever) he was last year. It's not all about age or experience.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it's none of my business, but I am curious as to what happened to Arik? Depression/Anxiety? Some sort of other issue? Did the team help him through it? I hope to hear a hopefully heartwarming story in the future about how the Georgia team bonded with him and helped him through it. He certainly has amazing potential.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we will see more than one version of Will Anderson emerge out of fall camp. One freshman and one veteran. This team is OMG! Loaded! Can't wait to see the season unfold!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Williams and Jones Jr are 2 players that will need to grow up fast if UGA is to reach their goals this season. The good news is that they can definitely be contributors in the limited roles they'll need to fill. Williams as 3 down relief and in a situational pass rush role spelling Beal. Jones Jr as a pass rusher spelling NSmith. These guys are big enough and skilled enough to do those roles effectively from day 1 against most teams. And they'll get better as the year progresses.

It would also be huge if at least 1 freshman CB can play above his experience level.

"Still getting everything down because it's like he just got here". You would think that AG would have a good understanding of the O after watching film for a year. AG does seem to be handling the transition to UGA by working hard with maturity. The UGA way.

The best thing SBIV can do is shut out all the noise and focus on becoming the best version of SBIV he can be. Let your play talk for you. Improve your accuracy, reads, progressions, knowledge of the O and reduce mistakes. With all the experienced he's gained an improved version is expected this season.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the fact that Kirby is discerning about who he brings in. He mentions that the player needs to be a "fit" with his team, he said the same thing about who he hires for his staff. Chemistry is too important to worry about volume and numbers. Just get the best for this team and you will be successful. GO DAWGS!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO, Reddawg1, UGA had a few Will Andersons last year and 2 or 3 this year.

Will Anderson was used as a hunter in BAMA's defense, which gave him significantly more "sack" opportunities. They moved him around all over the place, depending on offensive alignment.

If you'll remember, Anderson had very little impact in the SECC or NC games. He had 6 total solo tackles and 1 sack (at the end of the SECC game, after the game was all, but over). That's in 8 qtrs of play. Last year, Anderson reaped the benefit of playing for Alabama and the BAMA hype machine.

Beal didn't even start for UGA last year and didn't aquire significant playing time till after Adam Anderson left the team (after the FLA game)...yet he led the team with 6.5 sacks. You hardly hear his name mentioned outside of DawgNation circles.

UGA doesn't have a Will Anderson, cause they don't need "one". They have several guys that play at Anderson's level. Which means, they don't have to pick one guy to move around, in order to put him in position for a sack. Last year, their whole defense was a sack machine...not just one or two guys. I'd rather have that.

An offense can't focus on slowing down one player or position when you have a whole team of players doing what one player does for other teams.

On the flip side, the media doesn't know how to hype that. That couldn't have been made more apparent than the NFL Draft, this year. That's why Mel Kiper was left scratching his head when Travon Walker went 1st overall and Jermaine Johnson, "the best DE in the draft" dropped all the way down to 26th overall. LOL

There's hype and then there's reality.