Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Kirby Smart takes epic stand against Tim Tebow, Cocktail Party in Jacksonville

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Kirby Smart takes epic stand against Tim Tebow, Cocktail Party in Jacksonville

ATHENS — Kirby Smart bowed up like the fearless safety he once was at Georgia when Tim Tebow figuratively lowered his shoulder into the Bulldogs’ head coach on the SEC Network last week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior

I totally agree with Coach on this. One further point on the game itself, I've read that playing in a familiar venue is real asset for your team, yet UGA is deprived of having that advantage, at least every other year, when they would normally have it in a more equitable arrangement. It's time to 'belly up to the bar" so to speak, and set the schedule right. Coach Smart is doing great and recruiting is a big reason. Why wouldn't we want to assist his effort every legal way possible???

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t think I would classify that as epic! Lol. A good argument maybe, but not epic 🙄

• cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m in Kirby’s camp. But I do have an idea, if there is a way to do it like once every three years, home, home, Jacksonville, with both UF and UGA still having 4 home games that year in J’ville. Lord knows UGA has bent over backwards to accommodate the SEC, let the SEC do it for UGA for a change (and Florida).

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike our fans our selfish. They don't want to give up the party for the program. Richt was right but he didn't have the capability to change things, Kirby has the chance and if not now, when?

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart also corrected teabow by calling the game by its correct name, the Georgia-fla game. Not the other way around. Goodbye college football traditions and Go Dawgs!!

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, listen to this emotion over reason in these Gators last segment. Would love to see you on the show:

• rusavedornotrusavedornot Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I believe that Georgia’s “home” game should be played in Atlanta and Florida’s “home” game should be played in Jacksonville. It’s about the same distance and still maintains the 50/50 ticket split. Perhaps one of the other Florida schools can pick up the venue in Georgia’s “home” game year.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I think CKS's comments puts this issue to bed once and for all. UGA has given CKS everything he's asked for, up to this point, as coach of UGA. CKS should get what he wants here as well. Hopefully '23 is the last time UGA plays a "home" game in JAX.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of you got this...Kirby is a Georgia home boy...UGA, Athens, and recruiting....his priorities. I am sure Moorhead and Brooks will agree after 2023.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I certainly have my beliefs,” Smart said, “that the lifeblood of our program is recruiting.”

Couldn't agree more...bring the game to Athens and Gainesville...the Cocktail Party is old and worn.

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Two things.

1. I wish people would quit saying "Tebow won 2 titles at Florida." Unless that 2nd title is the 2008 SEC title, it didn't happen. Chris Leak won the 2006 title. Tebow's role on that team was basically as their fullback. His only meaningful passes that year were the 2 against LSU.
    2. Keep it "the world's largest cocktail party" and it is still broadcast on national TV even if both teams go 2-10 (or one team goes 12-0 and the other goes 0-12) because of the unique opportunity that it offers the TV networks (neutral site game in an NFL stadium with the world's largest tailgate and a crowd that goes crazy all game long regardless of what happens during it). But turn move it from Jacksonville and it is just another game between a pair of southern state land grant schools that basically nobody in the national media attended or knows anything about. The game will have to compete against a bunch of similar ones between schools in other areas of the country that represent larger markets and members of the media actually did attend i.e. bigger Big 10 games in general (especially now that USC and UCLA are joining). Even in the SEC, Florida-Georgia is going to fall in the pecking order behind the Texas/Oklahoma/A&M/LSU stuff on the western half of the conference as well as generally behind Alabama-Auburn, Alabama-Florida and Alabama-Tennessee on the eastern side.

Kirby's claim that it is better for recruiting makes no sense. UGA already has the best recruiting situation in the country. Georgia is the only school with a top 4 talent market that it has to itself. Texas (UT, A&M, Baylor, TCU), Florida (FSU, UF, UM) and California (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal) all have to split theirs. Yes, Tech is technically in this state, but since Tech foolishly fired Chan Gailey because their idiot fanbase wanted the "exciting" George O'Leary days back again, Tech only signs maybe 1 guy that UGA kinda sorta wants every 2 years. If Smart needs to end the WLOCP in order to make the recruiting advantage that they already have over Alabama - who actually does lose several guys that they really want to Auburn every year - even bigger then it is only because Smart wants to recruit Georgia (and Carolina and Florida) kids less in favor of recruiting Texas, California, Pennsylvania, D.C. and New Jersey kids more. As you absolutely do not need those kids to win national titles, it isn't worth killing off a guaranteed annual national TV date that the networks prioritize for it in favor of making Georgia-Florida just another game.

Let's say 5 years from now Arthur Blank backs a Brinks truck up to Smart, who by then will have added a couple more rings to his collection, to take over the Falcons. Smart will have to take the money: it is in the best interests for his family. In that case the guy who claimed that he personally needed to end the WLOCP for recruiting will have flown the coop. Saban will almost certainly have retired by then in this scenario also, meaning the whole college football landscape will be totally different, possibly nationalized. Smart's successors will be the ones with the "boy it sure would have been nice if we still had that guaranteed national TV date in a sport that is now totally built around television!" stance. What will you folks say then?

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Terrible leaps in logic. So filled with hate for CKS that they can’t think straight.

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby is right on the obvious advantages of playing Florida in Athens every other year. While I’m clearly “old school” and grew up a huge fan of the Jacksonville it’s time to understand it’s a new day and time. Hoping the Jacksonville agreement is not renewed.