Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Kirby Smart takes epic stand against Tim Tebow, Cocktail Party in Jacksonville

2»

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

I agree, Kirby doesn't need a penny of Blank's dollars. Why leave a proven winner in UGA anyway, and go to the always hapless falcons, no matter the monetary amount? Complete nonsense..

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might even be even bigger rivalry if it was a Athens/Gainesville matchup. Also agree with Atlanta/Jacksonville, as stated by several posts. It's within a few miles of being equal distances for both, Atlanta for UGA, and J-Ville for the gatourist..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Can someone please enlighten me on why jax can’t be a “home” game every other year and have the ability to host recruits? And why can’t the rules be changed to allow it?

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

For those arguments for an Atlanta - Jacksonville rotation, it would still be a neutral site and recruits could not be hosted.

Someone else posted that the universities get paid a lot of money to have the game there. The money has always outweighed the recruiting issue that Kirby raises. I love tradition, but for the ongoing success of the program, it makes sense to go home and home. Of course, the gators will benefit as well.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%. The only people advocating for this to remain in Jacksonville are Florida fans. Location has nothing to do with the national televising of this game. If both teams ****, they won’t be the national game on CBS anyway whether this is in Jacksonville or Las Vegas. Home and home and let Florida decide what their home is.

• Options
    ConcernedConcerned Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Disagree with Coach.

Stated these things before...

Top 3 in recruitung for 4 straight years...played for 2 National Championships and twice were a game away from playoff...obviously, the game does not hurt recruiting...Being the SEC game that has been televised the most by CBS, it can be argued that national exposure helps us recruit better Nationally and in Florida...far more concerned about NIL than location of game.

If coach wants to move game, then Georgia should NEVER play another neutral site game. It is extremely hipocritcal to think recruiting is that important and continue to play Clemson and Oregon in Charlotte and Atlanta? Much rather continue Florida in Jacksonville than these 2 games.

We need to quit playing Tech every year home and home. If you attending last year's game, it was at least 90% Georgia. Rotate Tech, GA. State, and GA. Southern every year in Athens and in September. Georgia's loyalty should be to the SEC and not a school that chose to leave it.

• Options
    ConcernedConcerned Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Also, since that are basically few recruiting rules anymore, just change the rule about bringing recruits to neutral games.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with Coach Smart. What is Georgia and the program is getting out of this deal. I understand Georgia fans want to go party in Jacksonville and keep up and old tradition, but Coach Smart is looking out for the program long term. If it is about a neutral site and 50/50 splint for tickets allotment, then it shouldn't be a problem playing the game in Atlanta. If Auburn and Alabama can change the Iron Bowl to a home to home game and it still get the hype. Georgia and Florida can do the same. Georgia fans needs to get on board and see there is no real benefits for Georgia besides fans having a venue to get drunk.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I definitely agree with that! That's one of the next rules to fall.

Just for the record...SE Georgia reaps huge financial benefit from the GAvFL game being played at the Gator Bowl. From Savannah to St Simon's Island/Brunswick to St Marys/Kingsland and all points in between....hotels are full, restaurants bustling and shopping/entertainment galore.

To move the game to home-and-home, is to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, just to get a couple of unlaid eggs out. UGA will wind up picking their teeth with bones from the after-dinner goose carcass, wondering what happened to all the revenue.

This conversation has been going on since I was a kid in the '60's. Fortunately, wiser minds have prevailed. If the game is moved to home-and-home...it becomes just another rivalry game that many outside of the Conference or State could give not one, but, two craps less about.

I say this, because when I was in the military, I was stationed on the West Coast, in the Northeast and the Southeast, with guys from all over the Country and various College allegiances. There was always an argument about which games to watch and the GAvFL only won out when it had National implications. Lately, that hasn't been very often, though an argument can be made that it was a key game in deciding which team won the SEC East, which in turn could have National implications. Try making that argument to a bunch of B10, B12, ACC and PAC10 fans that would rather see games that influence their respective Conferences

The fact is, most recruits only want to go to this game, because of the mystique built up around the tradition and Neutral cite debate, and above all.... By God, it's The World's Largest Cocktail Party. LOL. When you're 17-18 yrs old...the name alone, gets your attention. Students and Fans alike are clamoring to get tickets and Hotel rooms, just to be in the vicinity of that game...in JAX, not Athens...not JUST for the football.

That's my opinion, anyway.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

The bottom line is you shouldn't have to give up one of the Greatest Traditions in college football "The WLOCP" for the sake of a recruiting weekend. There's ways to modify and please the majority, including Kirby. I can see it change to a point where it would be a recruiting advantage. Recruits these days look for something that sets your program apart, whether it's all white unis, unique traditions, etc. Lets hope they can preserve some of these special college traditions, because when they're gone, they're gone.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@10DAWG How would giving up the biggest recruiting weekend of the season be a recruiting advantage?

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby just wants to score 70 in the swizzamp! Then he'll be ok with moving it back to Jacksonville. Lol

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds to me like the WLOCP is the recruitment tool for AA, not UGA!

• Options

What makes it the "biggest recruiting weekend of the season"?

Is it because it's a neutral cite game with tradition galore...including the hottly debated term "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"? LOL

Or, is it because it's Florida?

What if it stopped being what it is now? Do you think it would still be the "biggest recruiting weekend of the season"? Do you think that would still be the most requested game, by recruits? In 10 years, do you think anybody would remember what it once was.?

Personally, of all "the rivalries" UGA plays...I like AUB, FLA, CLEMSON, BAMA, USC and TENN....in no particular order of importance. While I realize they don't play Clemson or BAMA every year...there was a time in the late '70's...early '80's, that the Clemson game meant something. And, BAMA has meant something to everybody in the past 15 years. Although, if I had my preferences, I'd like to see AUB, FLA, TENN, CLEMSON and BAMA every year. I can take or leave the GA TECH and USC game.

Maybe the Clemson game was just a personal favorite, cause my best friend's brother and former teammate was their QB, but, Clemson was a formidable foe in the late '70's...early '80's. That was a game we all sweated at the time, cause, like FLA, they were capable of knocking UGA out of the Natty Hunt. That could very well be the case today. There's just something about that matchup, that's different.

Obviously FLA and UGA have had an impact on each Other's seasons over the last century, but, the greater part of the rivalry came in the form of "The Gator Bowl". That's what influenced me and my peers in the '60's and '70's....it's what has the greatest influence on kids today, IMO. Take that away, and nobody's talking about that game "every year", regardless of records. They'll only talk about it, when it matters.

Mark my words on this one. Changing venues is a bad move. A better move, would be to get more creative with recruits and visitations.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Yes, Florida is the NO. 1 rival and will surely be an annual opponent regardless of whether the schedule model is 7-1 or 6-3

It's a border state, but. more importantly, the state of Florida produces several prospects, and so it's important to win that game and show those Florida kids you are trying to recruit what your campus looks like.

• Options

Yes...Florida is UGA's #1 Rival...right NOW. The question is, if that game is moved to a home-and-home, will it continue to be the #1 Rival? Once the GAvFL Game loses it's Gator Bowl glitz and competitiveness, will it continue to carry the weight it carries today, or will it drift into GA TECH territory...a ho-hum affair. Just another SEC game.

In the 90's, I was all for moving the game and they did for 2 years while the Gator Bowl was renovated for the Jaguars. It seemed to lose a little something, when fans stopped flocking to Southeast Georgia. And, Spurrier hung 50 pts on us between the hedges. LOL

Kids in SE GA have contributed significantly to the Bulldog roster over the years...Wayne Co., Glynn Co., Camden Co., Liberty Co., Charlton Co., Chatham Co., etc.. Players in this area look forward to that game, because it's close to home and everybody is kin to somebody or knows somebody that played at UGA.

Businesses along Coastal GA. count on the GAvFL traffic and plan for it every year. Millions of dollars in revenue are raked in by places like St Simon's Island/Brunswick and St Marys/Kingsland, which contribute to their economies and growth. In turn supplying fresh athletes to local High Schools, for UGA to cull over.

I guess the real question is this....Will the State of Georgia and UGA "gain more than it loses", by moving the game to a home-and-home event? I'm not so sure anymore.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

**** Mike , I thought you for one could get a little creative. Why not for one make it a recruiting weekend, Jax to foot the bill on 25 recruits and their families put up at the finest facilities in town for the week. Be sure UGA has all expenses paid and their payout is at least 5 mil more than FU's. I know you are a MI ST. fan and a UTK apologist, but this game is pretty important to most UGA fans. Jacksonville rakes in upward of 100 mil on this game , SE Georgia relies on the $$$'s even more . This game is predestined every year to be played at 330 no matter the record, that won't be the case in post 14 team SEC and NIL craziness. Save the traditions as best you can. Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ve never met a fan who knew what was better for the program more than CKS. I’m impressed 🙄