Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

SEC dominates preseason Top 10, but Ohio State the No. 1 pick on this ballot

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageSEC dominates preseason Top 10, but Ohio State the No. 1 pick on this ballot

00Football is a game of attrition, even more so for college football as it has evolved trending toward longer postseasons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WCHWCH Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder how Ohio State will look at the end of the season.

• bobebobe Posts: 205 ✭✭✭ Junior

00football is new and better then regular football

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah…the only reason they were even in the NC conversation 2 years ago is because of the B1G’s easy schedule.

Do they have a chance this year? Sure.

I wonder if BuckeyeNation has articles about UGA…

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

You and all the media pre-season opinion polls hurt the sport. If your top 5 teams go undefeated then the 4 championship winners would go to your CFP. You guys never take into account that a team like Utah could go undefeated and win their championship game but not get in because you kept your top five in place all year because they never lost, even though the teams Utah beat all had much better records than the teams your top faced and beat during the season. Ranking a team in pre-season is fine but after week 1 you should have all the winning teams ranked 1st and all the losing teams ranked 2nd. After week 2 same thing only now all the teams with 2 wins over FBS teams would be tied for 1st and all the teams with 2 loses would get dropped from further consideration. All the 1-1 teams would be sorted based on FBS wins and head-to-head. Keep that going and you will get a set of teams separating themselves from the group and you can start to really look at who they beat, how they controlled their games and start highlighting upcoming big games. At the end of the day it mighth be the same teams but at least pre-season expectations didn't factor into your year-end ranking.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, ohio state has certainly proven themselves the past 2 years. And all the nonsense about "alabama will be number one until someone beats them" was baloney (bologna?) because they got beat and still rate higher that the reigning National Champion.

When alabama or ohio state are supposed to be rebuilding, they still get ranked higher. I know none of it matters till the last game of the season (or playoff selection time) but it does get old seeing the same old teams just because of their names. And "dynamic quarterback"? Doesn't alabama have the reigning Heisman Trophy winner? I still don't believe they should rank higher than Georgia but good grief, put them higher than the buckwheats.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess the voting doesn't matter as long as #1 OSU wins on the Super 16 ballot...no matter who else wins. Say OSU squeaks by Notre Dame....say by a FG or late TD. Now say UGA wins big over Oregon.....is OSU still #1? What about Bama? Say they won also...by a moderate score. See what I mean?

• vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

So you don't have Notre Dame anywhere in your ranking, but have Oregon at number 8. Using your own excuse for not ranking Notre Dame as you expect them to lose easily to OSU, I would expect Oregon to have that same 0-1 record and not be in the top 10 after week 1.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did you see the one idiot put Georgia 9th?

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can remember back around 2010 or so that OSU was 0 for 9 against SEC teams in bowl games.

I just call them the Ohio State 0 for 9’ers.

Iron certainly doesn’t sharper iron in that conference. Thinks I will take my chances with an SEC team.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohio State’s MO is losing a game they have no business losing. I will play along with the “experts” and hope against hope that they do make the playoffs and the Dawgs draw them in the semis. There’s no easier path to the NCG than through the B1G!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...I agree. If you use that logic with Notre Dame, how does it shake out, that Michigan also loses to OSU, but, remains in the Sweet 16 @ #11? And, MICH would have to lose to OSU, for OSU to remain in the Top 5.

Notre Dame's loss to OSU would come on the 1st game of the season and they could still wind up 11-1, with an early loss to a Top 5 Team...which historically, is forgivable.

While Michigan's loss to OSU would come late in the season and should knock them out of the Sweet 16.

If you use the Mike Griffith logic wheel, Michigan would have no business being in the Sweet 16. Now, I realize Mike said it can change...blah, blah, blah. However, I thought the objective was to predict the season outcome. So, the OSU, MICH, ND projection doesn't surf on a wave of logic...unless you have ND losing more than 1 game and MICH's only loss coming to OSU, in your predictions.

It should be the other way around. Notre Dame #11...Michigan OUT. Maybe. LOL

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 267 ✭✭✭ Junior

You may be right Mike. They may be #1. Ohio St. Easy schedule against overrated teams like Michigan and Penn St. It's much easier to have a great record and look impressive when you don't have but about two decent opponents...and one of them will probably be a home "prime-time" game. Look at what UGA did to the best team Michigan has had in years. Total annihilation! When people look back at our national championship year they forget about the Michigan game because it was a total beat down of the best the little 10 had to offer. Michigan beat Ohio St. last year. It's a lot easier to get up for one or two games than to go through the grind that is the SEC.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike G: “While the Buckeyes are subbing freely and building depth in the second half of their Big Ten blowout wins -- six in the league by two touchdowns or more…..”

Gee, isn’t that kind of what the Dawgs did last season!? Maybe that’s why we are reloading and not rebuilding!

And people say our offense didn’t put up the stats.

Maybe because we were doing what tOSU did! Just sayin’!!

Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I'm for one glad we aren't picked to be #1. There's a certain overconfidence you get from being #1. Instead, I would argue that being #3 is an ideal spot as you start off well in the playoff area (helps if there aren't a lot of big upsets in the year).

I'm perfectly fine with Ohio State being ranked highly as they have games against #5, #8 #15, #18 this year... heck, we only have #11 and #20, so if you go by preseason rankings (which are often WAY off from the end of the season) then we should be able to cruise to the playoffs.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I second that. I'm just fine with #3...or lower, even. LOL

I'll guarantee you one thing...BAMA won't keep that #1 ranking long. They will get beat, or severely exposed early. Their journey through the SEC-West minefield will push the locker room chemistry to the limit and beyond. LSU is the "Sleeper" in the West. And MISS ST is itching for some Tide.

The biggest BAMA question mark will be answered when they play Texas. Now, the talking heads are so enamored with Saban & BAMA, they can't see how Texas can possibly beat the mighty BAMA. But, IMO, it not only CAN happen....it very well MIGHT.