Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Anyone find Linkedin useful?

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just curious if anyone who has a Linkedin account has found it useful. I've had an account for about 10-12 years and not once have I found it helpful in job searching or career enhancement. I find most of the articles stale and mechanical, and I'm not convinced hiring managers actually use it look for candidates or even screen applicants. Been thinking of cancelling my account as it's just another thing to manage and update.

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've had it for a long time and never look at it unless a co-worker asks to connect with me or whatever it's called or congratulate a connection on a work anniversary.

• wpony714wpony714 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes! It is the best tool for maintaining a business network and finding jobs these days.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get contacted often by recruiters via LinkedIn. Problem is it’s always entry level jobs and I’ve been in my industry for 15 years. And my profile reflects it.

Alternatively my wife’s coworkers all get poached as soon as they make a profile (she’s in insurance underwriting.). Want a new job? Update your profile. Her company notoriously underpays so competitors know they can hire trained underwriters and offer incentive to move.

Anyways, I find it mostly useless unless you need more Spam in your Gmail Social folder.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

@mattmd2 : “Anyways, I find it mostly useless unless you need more Spam in your Gmail Social folder.”

Hilarious! That is exactly the way I feel about LinkedIn!

Got enough spam as it is…….

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a Life Insurance license and I get email all the time with "job" offers. They really aren't jobs, just an opportunity to work on 100% commission for another company. It doesn't cost them a penny to "hire" agents. I have never done anything with my license (kind of a long story as to why i got a license in the first place). But for my real job (management, logistics, maintenance....) I have never received a direct contact from any recruiter via Linkedin.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I worked 45 years in operations for several truck lines in Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida. Most of my job offers are for an assistant professor for various California colleges.

Seems like a perfect fit, right?

• ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was retiring from the Army, I got a lot of interviews and offers from recruiting people that first reached out to me from LinkedIn. Even now, I get one every month or so.