Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN analyst Desmond Howard: More riding on Stetson Bennett, Georgia to take ‘step back’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageESPN analyst Desmond Howard: More riding on Stetson Bennett, Georgia to take ‘step back’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and his football team moved on from its national title long ago, and now Georgia fans are being brought into the present.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA has that ubiquitous bullseye on its jerseys this season, according to the professional analysts, especially Desmond Howard. Former Georgia standout D. Pollack is always trying to remain neutral, at times to his own detriment. Then there are the DawgNation commenters/fans....who I feel, in many ways, dissect the games with far more scrutiny than any pro analyst. At the end of the day...the games outcomes dictate the reality. Meanwhile, UGA will continue to prove itself an outstanding football ethos, as I predict a perfect season and another national title. As Kirby Smart stated so bluntly: the Dawgs will never be hunted , we are the hunters.

Let the games begin....

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"...but they also lost the play caller, Dan Lanning …. I don’t think they really understand how special he was as a play caller, that shows up in the big games.”

Desmond clearly doesn't understand how things operate on Defense in Athens. Lanning brought creativity and new ideas, but all defensive strategies and game-by-game tactics were developed as a coaching unit. Moreover, all DC's at Georgia are running Kirby's defensive philosophy, just like all DC's at Bama are running Saban's. Does Howard or Pollack realize the type of experience Georgia is getting with Boom & Schu???!!!

Clearly Desmond Howard is still bum hurt by the drubbing Georgia put on his beloved Wolverines in the Orange Bowl!

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m glad everyone is sleeping on us. I’m glad we start the season ranked #3. Hopefully this pisses us off and we work even harder to prove all the naysayers wrong. Make ‘em eat their words, Dawgs! Let’s go!

GO DAWGS!

• SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just good entertainment and opinions . I’m sure Vegas odds didn’t move because of anything that was said . Hold the line at Caesars we can’t set it until we hear what Game Day has to say or the last second influx of betting while waiting on Corso’s head pick. Of course I suppose we should be very concerned about the departure of Lanning . Not sure we have any good defensive minds left on the staff . Lol

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK here we go: 1) It’s actually Good that our Dawgs are not rated #1 or #2 at This juncture. Because this Should motivate our Coaches & Players all the more !! I’d much rather they play with a chip on their shoulder and I desire to Prove themselves, than a entitlement mentality of being preseason #1. Like We’re #1 we’re Supposed to win. No that’s rat poison !! 2) Yes and Yes Dan Lanning was and is a Great Coach. BUT the experts need to Remember all the Coaches Still at UGA particularly on the Defensive side. I mean Wow look at the Collective Coaching Experience on that side of the ball !! 3) The experts keep saying that the UGA Offense must “ Step Up” to offset the player losses on the Defense. And in particular Stetson needs to be better. OK I think it’s a Very logical assumption to Believe he and this Offense WILL Indeed be better !! And significantly so, for to many reasons to list here. And lastly Yes, there Will Be some significant drop on the Defense, BUT I don’t think that drop off is gonna be as great as the “experts” think it will. I think instead of hearing Individual players names, we’re gonna see a Pretty Good Defense based on By Committee play. So I think UGA will have an Awesome Offense verses last years Pretty Good Offense, and now a Pretty Good Defense verses last years Awesome Defense. Actually at this juncture my biggest concerns are the Kicker and the Punter. Per the last things I’ve read there needs to be significant improvement at those positions, and I think they’ll get it. Go Dawgs !!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad Stetson Bennett is our QB, and not Desmond Howard. Go Dawgs!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Desmond is still licking his wounds from the Dawg inflicted annihilation of his beloved Wolverines. C’mon Desmond, if you had to choose a pet would you pick an adorable and tough Bulldog or a $tupid and obnoxious Wolverine? Duh 🙄

• Raw54Raw54 Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Desmond Howard stick to the weak Midwest football.Let the hungry Dawgs down South Eat....

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's just someone's opinion. Reality will be when cleats meet the game time turf.

• MidwaydawgMidwaydawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Toe meets leather Saturday and all speculation will mean squat! Youth can mean ignorance or innovation. Age can mean wisdom or complacency. We’ll find out soon enough. Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lanning was the DC but Kirby was the architect. How many times in a crucial moment in a game could you see Kiby calling the defense for that situation? Virtually every time the cameras panned to the sideline. Lanning looking to Kirby? Like I said virtually in every big time moment. Every play call had to be filtered though him.

• WhiznotWhiznot Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I wonder why Desmond Howard has a bug up his ass about UGA. I can't think of any reason. No matter. Desmond is a total idiot. Just look at his picks.