Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Improved Stetson Bennett in championship form, shoulders heavy load in 49-3 win over Oregon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,081 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageImproved Stetson Bennett in championship form, shoulders heavy load in 49-3 win over Oregon

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett served notice on Saturday that forcing Georgia to pass this season might not be such a great idea.

Read the full story here

Comments

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

Thinks your credibility on the QB situation went out the window over a year ago. Unless you are just trying to get a rise out of your readers, I would probably write about something else. It’s not a good look.

0n second thought, maybe you should just keep writing about him…just be consistent with your negativity, nobody likes a “flip flopper”.

I’m sure Stetson thanks you….his family thanks you and so does his teammates and staff.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This persecution complex on Bennett's behalf got old over a year ago. Griffith just wrote an absolutely glowing article about him (for good reason) and you still found a way to complain about it.

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

"seeing early offensive line issues" ...

I agree. Would have liked to see some digging into that.

• DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great factual article and for the first time in my memory a Bennett article by MG that did not use negative adjatives, mention walkon or JT. Good job!

• rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

prediction; Bennett makes the doubters fools and wins the Heismann

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

Wow. A really good article, including some facts and analysis I didn't see on the other media sites.

Like many of you, I've been disappointed about the previous negativity (esp. when unearned by SBIV or other Dawgs), but I try to be balanced and acknowledge a good article when I read one. IMHO, this was indeed a good one, history or not.

As this is a "fan site" (as opposed to a broader site like ESPN, SI, etc.), I hope this is a sign of a changed approach going forward. Not suggesting ignoring the negatives, at all, but hoping for increased emphasis of the positive around our Dawgs (e.g., CBS putting Stetson in their Top 10 QBs, several reporters now ranking him as their #2 Heisman candidate, UGA being argued as ahead of 'Bama by some, etc.), not to mention increased reliance on facts.

All that said, I had a GREAT Saturday fueled mostly by this great opener for the Dawgs... and the positivity continues right into the next day.

Have a great Sunday, all!!! 😁

Oh, and a PS: the fact that this happened with apparently no lasting injuries to any Dawgs was just (mega-great) icing on the cake! 🤟

• brucelhunterbrucelhunter Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2022

The Dawgs looked like repeat national champs for sure! But let's remember the Ducks are weaklings compared to what's to come against Florida, Tennessee and certainly Bama. Stetson had all day to throw to wide open receivers. It is exciting to see so much explosive talent at running back, receiver and tight end. It doesn't matter who's at quarterback with this kind of talent on offense. And the Dawgs' defense may be as good as last year. They should go 12-0, but then there's Bama with a big-time quarterback waiting to really test the Dawgs. It's going to be fun to watch it all unfold and hopefully we'll end up with another title.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What a great game! The dawgs proved last night that last year was not a "one and done". Georgia will be heard from again this year and Saban and crew will not have a cake walk into the CFB playoffs. I suspect that the SEC Championship game will be a bit different this year than last. Commentators will be saying that BAMA has to go through Georgia instead of the other way around. BAMA is an excellent team and well coached but they know now that they are not the only ones...Georgia will be making statements all season long that we belong and we will bring the hunt to them. Proud of our players - the moment was not too big being on the national stage and Stetson ran the offense effectively. What a great coaching staff to overcome all of the loss of players that the bulldogs faced with the NFL draft and the transfer portal. The dawgs just reload ya'll! Next! GO DAWGS!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Stet was awesome! 10 different receivers caught passes. Great game management, good decision making, mostly accurate passing. Hope we continue to see this kind of production and aggressive, Monken-style air attack from the offense.

McIntosh was the "receiver" with the most catches and yards....9 catches for 117 yards. How frickin' crazy is that?!?!?!

McConkey was 2nd with 5 catches and 73 yards...

Where was Dom in all the offensive production? I saw him on the field rarely and still haven't figured out why he wasn't a factor in the passing game after his stellar Fall camp. Like Monken said, we gotta keep the receivers happy or we may lose them to the portal.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kudzu "fan-friendly" site -- journalism rules in effect.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not worried about the O-line. It was the first game, and some mistakes should be expected. All in all, it was a good showing.

Very pleased with the secondary as well as the passing game. The DC's and OC Monken all called a masterful game.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MontanaDawg I mentioned this in my response to the Connor Riley post on Kenny McIntosh: blue chip RBs aren't going to come to UGA to get 8 carries in a national TV game against #11, which is what Justice Haynes saw the starting RB get yesterday. Blue chip WRs also aren't going to come to UGA to see the backup RB get way more catches and yards than any WR. Indeed, the RBs and TEs as a group had more catches than the WRs as a group, and this was with Bowers and Washington limited to 4 combined catches. Finally, a lot of short passes with the WRs and RBs doing RAC to get YAC. Very little downfield passing or more difficult intermediate throws.

WRs only caught 13 of the 30 completed passes. As Monken himself stated, that IS NOT enough to keep guys out of the portal (unless they weren't top 250 guys in the first place but instead are guys glad for whatever scheme, playing time and role they can get). So if this is a scheme built around Stetson Bennett to use all year long as opposed to merely something done in the first game against a coaching staff with a talented team that knows UGA's personnel then be prepared to see the effects of running this scheme on the skill players in next 2 recruiting classes.

Long story short: if this is their plan for this year, then it had better result in a national title. Otherwise, the beeline of WRs and RBs to the portal will continue from last year and there won't be any blue chips signed to replace them ... just more fights with Clemson over unheralded 3 star guys.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some folks need to chill. We took what they gave us. We had almost 400 passing yards. Let that sink in. On a day when they basically took away our rushing, especially early on, we went down field, what 7 times in a row and scored? LOL! Against Utah St, I mean the number 11th ranked team in the nation.

If I'm a receiver considering UGA, my eyes just got BIG!! As far as a RB looking at UGA, they used 4 by my count. A good chance to come in and play early! (If I'm all that). And if I can catch the ball out of the backfield, I'm salivating! KM went off!

A good day to be a DAWG! Next week will be the equivalent of BAMA's game yesterday. Let's see if SB connects on any deep balls. LOL! Deep ball in 3,2,1

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m with Red Dawg. We had over 500yds of offense in a game that wasn’t really competitive after halftime. Don’t really see how that runs recruits off. If we score 49 a week I believe plenty of offensive players will want to come here. Go Dawgs