Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football now ranked No. 2 in AP Poll Top 25 Week 2 rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football now ranked No. 2 in AP Poll Top 25 Week 2 rankings

The Georgia football team delivered one of the most dominating wins of the first week of the college football season with a 49-3 drubbing of Oregon. And the victory was recognized in this week’s AP Poll Top 25 rankings

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your right. But media gonna show love for Bama and Saban until it would be ridiculous to do so. Actually I’m sort of surprised that they were able to calm their Ohio St. love enough to move the Dawgs up. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GoodtimeDawg The people who actually vote in these things know that Utah State is a MWC (meaning better than Sun Belt, MAC and AAC) team who went 11-3 last year and was ranked #24 before Alabama beat them 55-0. Had UGA been ranked #2 maybe it would have been different but beating a ranked team by 55 while shutting them out is enough to keep from getting leapfrogged by the #3 team. Especially since the #11 team that you beat was blown out by 4 TDs twice last year by Utah, so it isn't as if beating them is the same as beating Oklahoma, Notre Dame or Clemson.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You all know the affection the polls seem to have for Bama. Very difficult to topple them. Wish UGA were playing a ranked team again....instead of Stamford, an FCS scrimmage...effectively. I would lead with my 2nd and 3rd's if I were Smart. Avoid those pesky injuries starters are prone to suffer. Let Beck start at QB. UGA really needs to get Beck some more on-field reps. He has looked better this season than last. Stamford is the perfect opponent for this sort of thing. No need for first team to rack up 70 pts against an FCS opponent IMO!.

• Options

Well we certainly wouldn’t expect a Troll like You to give the Dawgs pure & unfiltered credit. That might harm your credentials among your fellow Trolls. You know what ?? I bet Very Few people, Especially Dawgs Fans care about what Oregon did Last Year. I bet most people look at what the ranking was for Oregon starting This year, Especially Dawgs Fans. Now Trolls like You, will bring up Last Year to try to embellish their position. Gonna be So Sad for You to have to watch the Dawgs Win and Win, through the regular season and into post season. But I’m sure you’ll dig through all the data and stats that you possibly can and hunt for something, anything to try to diminish the Dawgs accomplishments cause that’s what Trolls like You do. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

UGA should have been ranked #1 from the start. The justification all these experts used for starting them at #3 was the loss of so many good players to the NFL. While it’s True they did lose allot of great players as the defending Champs they should have remained #1 until a rival Proved to be the better team. Had it been Bama half their team could have migrated to Mars and these folks would Still have made them #1 !! The Saban/Bama love will ever shine Unless Saban/Bama lose enough that these experts are worried they might get embarrassed. Is what it is I suppose. Dawgs just need to Keep Winning. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know the polls are to get clicks and keep folks talking and reading, but as long as the DAWGs keep winning, this will work itself out. They played an outstanding game and I don’t believe that any of this can be serious if a team can go from 11 to out of the top-25 and from unranked to #12 after just 1 game. DAWGs need to stay humble and hungry and all will be good.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough loss for ORegon. lost to the number 2 team and your out of the top 25.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nevada should be ranked #1 as the only team with 2 wins against FBS opponents, while UGA should be tied with 12 other teams who won against P5 competition. A 1 pt overtime loss on the road against a top P5 teams should earn the same respect as a blowout win against an FCS team. ZERO. Win your games and win them against good teams.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg If you were to turn off your emotions and think with your head - use facts, reason, evidence and all that - all this means is that the next time your beloved Georgia Bulldogs beats a ranked team 55-0 they won't drop in the polls either no matter what anyone else does.

So ... let's say Florida runs a ranked Kentucky off the field Saturday. Or Tennessee absolutely brutalizes defending ACC champions Pitt. It means that so long as Georgia hammers Samford on Saturday, then Florida (or Tennessee or whoever) isn't going to jump them in the polls. That is a good thing, right?

Yes, I know that your real issue is that Georgia wasn't preseason #1 to begin with. Fine but that is a totally different issue. The issue NOW is that TEAMS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DROP IN THE POLLS AFTER THEY HAMMER THEIR OPPONENTS NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS ELSEWHERE. ESPECIALLY IF THAT OPPONENT WAS RANKED. And as I mentioned above, UGA fans will benefit from this as much as Alabama and everybody else. Because you all know that if the tables were turned - you had beaten East Carolina or Appalachian State or whatever by 50 and another team jumped you because they hammered #9 or whatever - you would absolutely freak out and be ready to burn sofas in the town square just like Tennessee fans did when Lane Kiffin ditched them.

Folks, the upshot of it is that you want everyone else to be a UGA fan just like you and you think that something is wrong with them if they aren't. Sorry, but that isn't reality. You can be a fan and face reality. It is an achievement that other fanbases achieve all the time.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have come to believe Smart when he sez this poll business is irrelevant to his process. His Dawgs' only concern is with their standards. M'rite?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

First, rankings on 9/6 mean absolutely nothing. Look at FU. Before week 1 unranked after week 1 12th? These guys are throwing darts at a wall. Second, CKS would definitely prefer to be ranked #3 for quite a while considering the youth on the team needing significant development. The less rat poison early in the season the better. Let the young players on AL and OSU eat their fill of rat poison.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

You keep emphasizing that Utah State was ranked when Bama beat them. They were not.

Anyway, back to facts and logic. I don't disagree with your general point. The thing is, though, that standard could just as easily apply to Georgia. We finished last season as the best team in the country. We started this season with a week 1 result that was at least comparable to Bama's. Taking all the facts into consideration, there's a reasonable argument to be made that putting Alabama ahead of Georgia was a hasty decision in the first place, and until there's some evidence that Alabama is better than Georgia, the former shouldn't be ranked ahead of the latter.

Now personally, I don't really care either way. It neither surprises nor offends me that a team wouldn't drop in the polls after winning 55-0. We're still well within playoff territory, and it will all work itself out over the season anyway. And staying at #2 behind Bama probably makes Smart's job a tad easier.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

To me, it all just shows the lack of respect that UGA has gotten over the years.

Is Saban the reason Alabama was #1? I guess a case could be made for that, but until proven otherwise, I think UGA should be ranked #1...so we lost a lot of players. Other teams have a lot of unknowns as well.

I'd be interested to know what other teams won the NC and weren't ranked #1 to start the next season.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Glad to see the Dawgs at LEAST moved up a notch...figured it would take a small miracle to de-throne the Tide. Once we show some staying power and consistency the media will give us a break. But it doesn't matter. Win the games in front of us and things will take care of themselves. I'm really looking forward to seeing how good - or bad - Florida and TN are when they play in the Swamp this Saturday. Looking like Halloween weekend onward is going to be our toughest stretch...though I expect we'll take care of business.