Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia opens as large road favorite at South Carolina

SystemSystem Posts: 10,669 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia opens as large road favorite at South Carolina

ATHENS — Georgia football has opened as a significant road favorite over South Carolina this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

If Texas A&M loses to Miami, it may be time to start speculating on who their next coach will be. I remember when Texas A&M tried to hire Kirby Smart. Nick Saban intervened, telling Kirby that he could do better. The rest is history to the benefit of UGA and the detriment of A&M (and also Saban).

The sad part is that there are no obvious candidates. The last two mid-major coaches they gave a shot to didn't work out (Franchione, Sumlin) and neither did giving a national title winner who has worn out his welcome an escape valve (Fisher), nor did hiring an NFL guy (Sherman). Any idea that Baylor's coach (former LSU DC) Dave Aranda was an up-and-comer took a huge hit with that loss to BYU on Saturday. Former UGA DC and longtime Saban assistant Mel Tucker would be a candidate had Michigan State not locked him up with a big contract with an expensive buyout. Jerry Jones will do the same to keep Sam Pittman away from his old SWC rival.

As for assistants, no one thinks much of Saban's current group. At UGA, Monken is considered a better OC than HC. The DC is twice-failed Muschamp sharing the job with a 32 year old (Smart did a good job making sure that his coordinators won't be poached anytime soon). The last Ohio State OC failed badly at Texas. The OC and DC at Clemson got jobs last year.

Who does that leave? Urban Meyer. I am sorry, but if I am at A&M, I am working on the terms with his agent right now before Notre Dame has a chance to. Just tell him that he can't hire that strength and conditioning coach with a history of domestic violence. Oh yeah even better: Meyer's old OC Dan Mullen is available and his old DC Charlie Strong can be. There is a real chance that the game has passed them by (the Tebow offense wouldn't work anymore and it is debatable whether Strong's 4-3/4-6 defense works against modern offenses) but there aren't any better options right now.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

interesting speculation. thanks!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Meyer? The head twerker, himself? Not at Texas A&M, a school with a time honored military foundation, where integrity means something. Mayere belongs back in the NFL. No, A&M will make "first ______ head coach, (fill in the blank with whatever race, religion, sexual orientation, identification, you want), in the history of A&M", who will also fail, miserably.

Perhaps A&M can pluck someone out of the NFL?

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm great with Jimbo staying at Texas A&M. He's doing a bang up job there. That little hiccup last Saturday doesn't mean anything in the long run. Jimbo is on track to elevating aTm to the second level of the SEC-W. That's where they belong, just below Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama.

Have I mentioned what a Jimbo fan I am? /s

Have I mentioned how much I like Texas A&M? /s

Getting back to reality, Kirby's boys will be an altogether better team come Saturday at noon. They know full well South Carolina can and will beat them if they don't show up and give themselves to winning their individual matchups. Nobody's forgotten what the Gamecocks are capable of pulling off when we play a half arsed game of football.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dunno, I'm not really good with the "mercy rule" being allowed in that game. Yes, we were 30 points up at the half, but it wasn't like we were 50+. The weather was perfect for playing football, there were no major COVID issues, there were no major injuries on the field. It really sets a bad precedent.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been done many times before, by others as well as UGA. It does speak directly to the critics these "cup cake" games, although App State might disagree.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

Hard to imagine aTm giving up on Jimbo this season. I believe he gets a pass this year to continue to recruit at a high level and develop his #1 class from '22. '23 class is a huge class for Texas High School 4* and 5* recruits. aTm is lined up for many and to have another Top 5 class. Jimbo was intent on raiding CKS's staff of great recruiters (Coley, the guy from Bainbridge that flipped Bouie, Groves-Killebrew and ALMOST Bear Alexander) . But assistant's have to be able to coach as well. Especially on Fisher's staff.

Too much money (and recruiting risk) involved to cut Jimbo loose unless the bottom falls out completely. I expect Jimbo to change QB's soon and the players to realize they can't live off their HS press clippings. Jimbo will definitely be on a very warm seat next season.

The trend in the NFL is for teams to hire very young, up and coming offensive coaches as HC's (and for those guys to hire very experienced coordinators). Colleges also tend to prefer young, energetic up and comer's. That isn't Monken. Monken's next step seems almost assuredly back to the NFL as OC. The good news for UGA? Bobo has been Monken's shadow now for going on 2 seasons. Bobo is learning the O inside and out and is the OC in waiting at UGA when Monken lands back in the NFL.