Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

5 takeaways from 33-0 Georgia win over Samford

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
image5 takeaways from 33-0 Georgia win over Samford

ATHENS — Kirby Smart wasn’t happy with his team on Saturday, but those who follow Georgia football know he rarely is.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

It seemed to me that Georgia wasn’t the only team that underperformed this week. Several teams upset or had games less then 1 point looking at you Bama! Regardless I know we will be seeing each other Atlanta!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stets seemed to be accurate as far as getting completions, but in most cases he was off in putting the ball where the receivers could maximize their yards after catch.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't count on it. LOL. I predicted BAMA would lose a couple of games during the season...and that wasn't counting the Texas game. I knew Texas would play em close, but, BAMA looked downright pedestrian.

When a coach, that brings in so many Transfer-players that take over starting positions, refers to the previous year as a "rebuilding year"...well...something isn't going to-plan in Tuscaloosa. LOL. Their O-line looked anemic in their Spring Practice...and it showed, yesterday. Bringing in that Vandy O-Line transfer, after Spring, helped, but, didn't cure all of their problems.

One more takeaway: While young pups at WR are preparing to soon be counted on as playmakers, Jermaine Burton was practically invisible for Bama vs. Texas.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yup. We had a trollish commenter last week singing Burton's praises, comparing him to McConkey, complete with some inaccurate stats. Not that I wish Burton ill, but he did choose to leave.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, still think Texas A&M bullied their opponent from last week after watching them this week? I told you they didn’t look very good at all last week and it showed this week! Lol…have to watch the game, just not the final score

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not a trollish commenter. And my stats were 100% accurate from College Sports Reference.

I agree about Bama having a couple of losses during the regular season. Up until the past couple of years, Saban coached teams were the best prepared most disciplined teams in the country. That most definitely is no longer the case. I don't know if Saban has gotten soft in his old age or perhaps the constant turnover on his staff has finally caught up with the program, but something is bad wrong in Tuscaloosa. Bama will still win games based on sheer talent, but that talent is no longer the best prepared and developed. The coach that best prepares and develops his players now resides in Athens, Georgia!

I don't need stats to know the difference between McConkey and Burton. All I have to do is watch the games. McConkey NEVER takes a play off when he is on the field whether he is running precise routes, making DBs look silly when they try to tackle him one-on-one, or blocking for his teammates. None of those actions show up in the stats and that is why Burton can so easily become invisible for Bama the same way he did much of the time for the Dawgs.

It's about to get worse in Tuscaloosa. They aren't feeding the beasts....meaning, Young isn't getting protection and doesn't have Heisman quality receivers....and Will Anderson doesn't have as much NFL quality linemen, willing or able, to clear rushing lanes for him. They're both good (Young & Anderson)...but, not as good as they could be, on a great "team". And, the 2022 version of BAMA, is not "great". The question is...are they good enough? This year, I don't think so.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith you're just being far too kind and gentle to the Dawgs. They didn't play well, period. Kirby said as much trying to find these sort of "highlights" is skimming over potential problem areas if they don't get them fixed. For example, while Bennett completed several passes, he was not accurate. In many cases, the receivers had to work to catch the ball and couldn't get yardage after the catch. And on most of his incompletions (I'm thinking those in the end zone), he was passing as if his receivers are 20-feet tall. The stats may say we had a nice running game, but our backs were not hitting the holes with any kind of alacrity -- and I don't think any of our backs have breakaway speed. Hopefully, we'll get to test that theory but the way we're running now, it's going to be a lot of plodding. Everyone seems hyped up about Tykee Smith, but I'm still in wait-and-see mode. That Kirby says that he's still building confidence "in the system" after having been here now for two years. Yes, I know he's been injured, but he was a full-go before he got hurt, by now he should know the system pretty well.

And finally, while I have few concerns about Bowers or Washington or the TE room in general, this idea that Arik Gilbert is going to somehow "emerge" to help UGA this year is, I believe, wishful thinking. It's obvious that this kid has a LONG way to go to be ready to seriously contribute and I don't think it's all just because he didn't play last season. Remember, Brock Bowers didn't play his senior year of HIGH SCHOOL and, from Day 1 at Georgia, he was an elite college player, and I think all observers would put Gilbert on par with Bowers when both were coming out of high school. I wish some enterprising journalist (not necessarily a football or sports writer) would tell us the REAL story of what's going on with Gilbert, because I cannot figure out how he has regressed so much from even his freshman year, which was outstanding and, as you know, was actually played in the SEC, too. Notice how Kirby handled him Saturday after he made that crucial false start penalty in the game. Normally Kirby would be all over somebody for making that kind of pre-snap mistake, but Kirby was all sweet and bubbly with Gilbert on the sideline, and if you notice, NO ONE ELSE even came around them. It's like, the entire UGA organization knows Gilbert has issues and honestly, at this point, I seriously am not sure whether Kirby and the rest of the coaches are trying to save his football career, or his life.

Except for the Gilbert situation, I think everything else can (and hopefully, will) be quickly fixed. But please don't sugarcoat things, Mike. When the Georgia Bulldogs only manage to score 3 points in a half against the Samford Bulldogs (even with the starters getting extended playing time), that's beyond being simply "interesting." Brother that means there's trouble, trouble in River City. Go Dawgs!

• robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Steady Stet? Wonder if they'd say the offense looked sloppy if some of Stet's passes were on target. Of his 11 incompletions (i can only come up with these 6 off top of my head): Hail Mary at half, skip screen pass to Ladd, long ball on early drive to open receiver who had corner beat (7 pts), high pass to Ladd in end zone (pic on another story, 14 pts), high pass to Bowers in end zone (pic on another story, 21 pts), high pass to Washington in end zone (28 pts).

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Game was a snoozer. Not sure if we played well enough to unseat Bama and Bama played awful. Bennett didn't hurt his Heisman standing but he didn't help it. People tend to remember the latter. My concern is that they are going to underestimate a lesser opponent and get upset. The schedule is not a walk in the park: UK, UT and FL are all going to be tough. They better get their act together, now.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said before the year started that BAMA couldn't lose their starting RB, and 2 starting receivers( 1st and 2nd round draft picks) .a 1st round OL, and a third receiver got drafted too I believe, and be as good of an offense. Just not possible. Well possible, just not probable. "So, you're saying there's a chance."

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think throwing a critical eye to such a meaningless game should be taken with a grain of salt. This was a glorified scrimmage. The disappointment should be from season ticket holders that still pay for shortened cupcake games.

edited September 2022

At this level, I don't think any game is meaningless. If you don't beat up on your buttercup opponent, it's held against you. We are still #2 in the coaches poll.

You're supposed to throw the ball high to your TE's. It's the whole point of having a 6'7" 270lb receiver. No DB is gonna out-muscle or out-jump em. It's one of the safest passes you can throw. I'm just surprised that Washington didn't fight to catch the "Hail Mary". LOL

How many did he throw away? Do you pan every QB's passes, one-by-one? Or do you know how to get the aggregate and evaluate overall effectiveness? Was Bennett perfect Saturday??? NO! He had a couple of errant throws. He was off a little bit,, especially early and he got the hook before he straightened it out completely.

Which QB in College Football, would you say, IS perfect? Just curious.