Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart updates Arik Gilbert status, explains his absence from 48-7 win at South Carolina

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart updates Arik Gilbert status, explains his absence from 48-7 win at South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Georgia coach Kirby Smart said tight end Arik Gilbert didn’t make the trip for “personal reasons” on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personal reasons. Right.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

He just needs to leave football behind and concentrate on himself, but still stay with the program where he can get the support and help needs, but be around his teammates, brothers, and family of the team! Get better Arik and hope you find some peace!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, you can only hope he finds happiness. Clearly, the NFL isn't in his future based on this.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Though I posted it in an earlier comment section, it bears repeating - in case he sees it. Arik, you've been blessed with natural gifts beyond what most can dream of, and there is only one person standing in the way of you accomplishing everything your enormous talent enables you to be capable of. You could rewrite the record books at UGA, if you wish. No one expected Bowers to accomplish what he did, but he worked his rear end off and made the most of the opportunity given. Should you do the same, you will never worry about lack of opportunities, for they will be there. Coach Smart only wants to win, and there is but one reason he wouldn't put the most capable, you, on the field when needed. Look in the mirror, and decided to give yourself the chance to fulfill your dreams, for only you can do such. Best of wishes, man. Now go and grab the world by its proverbial footBalls.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen !! Agree Totally with that Prayer to the Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus name !! NO ONE but God and Arik know the Depth of whatever issues he’s enduring. Those who point a finger at him have three pointed back at themselves. You have to walk in the other man’s shoes to know Exactly how He feels. Get better soon Arik there are bunches and bunches of Dawgs fans that Love and Believe in You, on and Off the football field.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

He should go find happiness elsewhere. Obviously it is not in Athens, where he has been only a distraction. Good luck to an immensely talented young man.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg I'm not going to bash Gilbert (though I'm not at all surprised that this situation with him has arisen), and while I agree with you that none of us (fans) likely know what's going on with him, I know for a personal fact that several other people around the Georgia program, starting with Coach Kirby Smart, along with several members of the media that cover the team -- including a couple of DawgNation writers and Seth Emerson at The Athletic -- know EXACTLY what's going on with him. They won't tell you unless and until Gilbert leaves the UGA program because they think it will harm him too much. Yes, he needs our prayers, yes he needs our compassion. But he also needs to do some growing up on his own and it's not exclusively about his mental health. I said on this forum after last week's game that I didn't believe Gilbert would be a significant player on the 2022 team, but I did think that he would remain WITH the team. Now, I'm not even sure of that.

• Options

OK no sarcasm at you. And I’m not gonna get into a protracted debate about it as like I said we simply Don’t Know. Again no sarcasm at you, but you contradict yourself here. You admit that probably people In the program and maybe Some that are exclusively Very close to the program probably know. OK I’ll buy that. Then you go on to say that WE don’t know ( as fans). But then you state “it’s not exclusively about his mental health”. No disrespect or sarcasm but how can you state with total confidence that it’s Not Exclusively About His Mental Health. Some here ( not talking about you) might see clear to bash on ME and if they do Hey that’s fine. I just consider the caliber of a person that would do that. But IVE had mental health issues ( Still do to some degree) that almost destroyed my life !! Very, Very debilitating !! And it’s FAR More than just a simple grab your boot strings and tighten up. Anyone if their suffering enough would do that IF it were that simple. But some mental health issues when the person doesn’t Know what’s wrong and there for doesn’t Know to seek professional help, if not brought under control can actually cause a chemical imbalance in the brain. When a person reaches that point it’s FAR, FAR more than just simple will power. Just simply Getting A Grip. When you reach that point you NEED Help. It happened to ME !! And like I said it almost Ruined my life !! NO I wasn’t on any drugs ( street drugs). I’m a wore out tired old man now but in my younger years I was just as much a jock as all the other young bucks. It’s a long story and a private story, but I HAD to have help !! And though I’m light years better Now than I was back then, Thank You Lord !! I Still have meds that I take to help me to Hopefully never get back to That Bad of shape again. Look I could be BAD Wrong, sure wouldn’t be the first time. But I just Don’t think it’s a case of laziness or being irresponsible or afraid of competition on this young man’s part. If I’m wrong, OK I’m wrong. But many have pointed out Arik’s potential, even NFL potential. Don’t we all see that HE Knows that ?? Why would he Deliberately sabotage his own career ?? Something is Badly Wrong. I have No Clue what it is and in Reality all fans can do is Speculate and offer opinions. Kirby said Arik was working hard in an earlier article on this site. Kirby doesn’t seem Angry about Arik. Frustrated ?? Yeah maybe so but Even With mental health issues Kirby would be frustrated FOR the young man as like we’ve all said Arik has such huge potential. It IS Frustrating not to see him be able to capitalize on that potential. So to close my lengthy article I’m just asking Dawgs fans to show some Compassion and Patience JUST LIKE they would if this were a Known Physical injury. Unfortunately even though we’re in the year 2022 there’s Still a stigma attached to Mental health. People that have never suffered with those kind of issues can be pretty cruel to those who have. I had some people Very close to me say “ I was faking it” !! People I loved and respected !! Talk about Utterly Crushing your heart !! To be going through one of the greatest trials of your life and Wanting, Needing, all the support you can get, Only to have someone you Love, Respect, and Trust tell you “ your just faking it” !! I’m telling you from experience it Hurts down to the very marrow of your bones !! IF it’s revealed later that it’s just a matter of he’s lazy or doesn’t embrace competition. Then Hey I was wrong and shame on him. But I think it’s something Far beyond thst. I’m done and I meant no sarcasm or disrespect to You or anyone else here. I just Hope there will come a day that people will come to understand that mental health doesn’t necessarily equal Bad Person. It’s just a part of humanity just like physical health. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I pray for that young man's strength and the love and understanding the Dawg Nation is giving him can bring him to a better place so that he can fulfill his potential as a man. There is a great future out there for him if he can find a level place. God bless him with recovery.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great comments, @navydawg. Some of the best comments I've ever seen anywhere! You've shown that one's own battles make them stronger and more empathetic. Best of luck to Arik. May he live up to his potential. More importantly, may he grow from his experiences as you have!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm currently dealing with a situation with an employee who is demonstrating extreme narcissistic behavior, potentially spreading a cancerous environment among the entire workforce. What I have found throughout life, employees, friends and family is that you can try and help someone but if they're not first willing to help themselves it's fruitless. Yes , pray for the young man, it seems like Kirby is doing everything he can to allow healing to occur while protecting the overall investment of the team.

• Options
    CMacDAWGCMacDAWG Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

It’s time to give up on this guy. Wasted scholarship space 2 years now.

• Options

Thank You SO MUCH to the posters who commented and show They Understand !! Can’t Thank You Enough !! MY issues began from my military service though I didn’t realize it For Years. There for I didn’t Know to seek help. I came Extremely Close to losing my Dedicated & Wonderful wife. She just couldn’t take anymore. And my two kids. And my home. I Did have to leave a High Paying job for much less $$. The professionals got me a long way from where I was. And I’m very thankful for that. But my Real Help and Lasting Help didnt come until quite a few years later in 1992 when a Total Stranger ( Not in Church) led me to the Saving Knowledge of Jesus Christ. THAT was when MY healing really took off. All the Be A Tough Guy, tighten them boot strings up tighter, etc.etc. Didn’t and Wouldn’t help me a bit when my problems started. Now this ain’t arrogance on my part More Like utter Stupidity, but at that time in my Young life, I feared No Man that was not armed with a weapon. Mano E Mano my attitude then was Bring It !! Having been in the military I Had plenty of Self Discipline. So it was Far more than just Toughen Up. It was my mind was very warped and I needed some Help, Support, Compassion, Empathy, Patience, and above all kind hearted Love from people who didn’t necessarily Know me. Lastly I STILL have issues though Very Mild compared to back in those days. With all the strange things happening in the Country I Love I have to be vigilant not to let those issues over take me again. GOD does work through medical pros and medications. His hand is usually on those things as He doesn’t want anyone to suffer. So yeah I still take very mild comparatively to back then scripts to help me. I don’t Know the stats and don’t claim to, but I can easily imagine that if the truth was known probably at least 2 out of every 5 Americans are taking some type of prescribed medication to help them. The very Sad thing is there’s no telling how many people that use Illegal street drugs to help them cope or heavy alcohol use, which makes matters only worse. If You have Your life totally together that’s Great !!! Be very thankful. And Please have a little heart for those who Don’t. Because unless you’ve actually been in a Very Similar situation Yourself there’s really no way you can Know how that person feels. Don’t wish bad things to happen to someone that You wouldn’t want happening to YOU.