Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Kirby Smart: Brock Bowers flashes Heisman-worthy talents

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
image3 takeaways from Kirby Smart: Brock Bowers flashes Heisman-worthy talents

A win is a win in Kirby Smart’s book, and the best variety are those where his Georgia football team improves.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WRs have to catch the ball and execute their routes as expected. WR play was inconsistent across the entire room on Saturday.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lot of talk about the impact of their weird formations etc but I focused on the lack of containment, dropped passes, and missed tackles by our guys. That is essential whomever the opponent might be

• Options
    troublemakertroublemaker Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

**** at times, but still a "W" against a feisty and pretty well coached opponent. I'm glad we got this game "out of our system" now and can bear down and focus on what should be a riled up Mizzou team, especially after the way the "Show Me State Tigers" gift-wrapped an early Christmas present for Auburn on Saturday.

I expect our defense will be back to their stingy ways next weekend. Prediction : "Dawgs" 48 - "Pussycats" 10

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

McConkey's punt return fumble was not due to a foot injury - clearly a lack of concentration - on a ball he needed to call fair-catch on.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SmartsTheMan Injuries are a distraction that can effect focus, the point of the story.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just an observations and a couple of question about our performance Saturday against the Golden Flashes......I'll never again doubt KS's "glorification" of an opposing team.....Kent State was a **** good team! I'm wondering: what is the correct pronunciation of Smael Mondon's name, why did Chris Smith run out at the 30 after the INT rather than advancing the ball further, and will we ever see Brock throw a pass???? Ladd, everybody has a bad day every once in a while.....you are a DGD for no other reason than you cleaned it up much quicker than most, never gave up and never stopped fighting!!! GO DAWG'S!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

I was stunned that the Missouri kicker missed a 26yd chip shot FG to win the game in regulation. Even the announcers were joking about him not taking warm up kicks on the sideline. Looking back, I'll bet he wishes he had attempted a couple of warm ups before taking the field. And a Missouri kicker at 257lbs, nicknamed "thicker kicker"😆. May be the largest place kicker I've ever seen.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I checked the stat line for SBIV per Yahoo! Sports and it showed the following:

. Completion rate: 75%

. Passing yards: 272 yards

. QBR: 132.9

I could not find median QBR (thinking maybe one of the other posters here has better data than I can find), but per teamrankings.com, the median YTD numbers in D1 are 61.54% passing rate and ~238 yards passing per game. Note that this is for entire teams, so individual QB PYPG average will be significantly lower than 238.

Finally, in this game SBIV tied Tebow as the only SEC QB to pass for 250+ YPG while having a rushing touchdown in each of four games.

Not being an apologist for Stetson (he could have looked better, esp. in Q1), but the numbers themselves show anything but a statistically average performance for a D1 QB in 2022... and that's without the "what if" of several dropped balls. Perhaps it was average for SBIV over the years (don't have the info), but not for CFB in general.

Happy rest of your Sunday, all!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall a very uninspired game (save for BB - he always plays at 100% intensity/concentration - even when injured). Fielding punts is not for everybody. It is a tough job with very little margin for error. Rule #1 catch every punt unless it is coming down inside the 5. Rule #2 see Rule #1 and know when to fair catch. McConkey broke Rule #2 and UGA paid for it. Rest assured after the chewing out CKS gave him on the sideline he learned Rule #2 yesterday. He will be fine. I like KJackson as a PR but 1) he was injured last year and they don't want him injured this year and 2) McConkey seems to have the most reliable hands for punt fielding. KJackson be a KR (or a PR) this year but not both. Too risky.

SBIV has shown improved decision making and command of the O this year......until yesterday. Not sure how anyone can be critical of a guy completing 75% of his passes (27/36 yesterday) but he just wasn't sharp. Like last year, yesterday, SBIV benefited from some circus style catches made possible by the big catch radii of the UGA receivers. SBIV still not, consistently, hitting guys on the body and allowing max RAC. It seems he still struggles with accuracy. SBIV's INT was straight out of the '21 "bonehead" (CKS) playbook. Forced into coverage.

The young D got a lesson in standards, game day intensity and rat poison consumption. Missing JCarter didn't help but still glad he sat out most of the game. Dude needs to be 100% later in the year when needed for FU, TN and AL.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was wondering the same thing about Smith's int return. Maybe he's still not quite 100% and didn't want to take a hit he didn't need to take? Just speculating, based on what otherwise seems to be an unexplainable decision.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

@DJG76

Considering that Kent State went 7-7 last year and lost their first 2 games by 45-20 and 33-0, if they are a "good team" then what does a bad team look like? If you want to see a good team then that is Oregon who the last 2 weeks against quality competition has looked nothing like the team that UGA humiliated 49-3. As Florida is just as likely to go 4-8 as 8-4, Oregon is going to remain UGA's toughest foe this season until their 3 game stretch of actual good teams on November 5, 12 and 19.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20

The coaching staff made the decision yesterday to use the "very easy but still FBS" opponent to take SB IV out of his comfort zone by having him make the plays that are going to be necessary to beat Tennessee, Mississippi State, Kentucky (and possibly Florida) plus be successful in the SECCG and 2 playoff games down the line. It wasn't pretty but it was the right decision that had to be done. As the next 3 foes - Auburn, Vanderbilt and Missouri - are going to finish .500 at best this (regular) season, expect that to continue. It won't be as fun to watch as Oregon and South Carolina were, but the team will reap the results against the better competition in the last 1/4 of the season and in the postseason.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely not their greatest showing but every team in each season has a down game so no big worries from this alone. Turnovers make all games closer than they should be and the one long TD on the quick pass was the result of terrible angle on that play; still don’t understand the reasoning behind not covering the outside running lane for the receiver. Only thing that concerns me is the O line and the running game and I’m not sure if the bigger fault is with the RBs or O line. I do know that Edwards, Bowers, and Washington need more touches in this offense.

• Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    edited September 2022

This is a really good assessment that I hadn't considered... makes total sense! That makes the 75% look pretty good, just the first quarter passing still causing Dawgs fans some PTSD 🤣. Wish some of those long balls (esp. to Ladd) would have been caught to build some confidence...

I hope the running game, on the other hand, starts to show up better. I really thought Edwards earned a promo to RB1-2 based on what I saw.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looked like the same plays UGA often runs. The long pass (short pass long RAC) to BB's was very similar to the Bower's circus TD vs SC last week. Bower's again made a very difficult catch that most guys can't. We've seen the deep sideline to DWash before. SBIV didn't put it on him. The down and in (a play we see every week) to DBell was behind him.

I forgot to mention that SBIV has seemed to lose the long ball magic he had last year. The long passes this year have not connected. Underthrew McConkey yesterday and over threw Meeks(?) in 1 of the 1st games. Same passes he hit McConkey in stride vs AU and AD vs AL. Most have been underthrown. Could be timing. Could be different receivers. He is getting all the 1st team reps again this season.

SBIV Just wasn't that sharp. When he has been "on" he has definitely looked better than last year. But he continues to struggle with accuracy. And yesterday's INT was shades of '21 SBIV. I will give you that we didn't see the WR and TE screens we usually see 5-10 times per game.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, an actual good team is not a 45-point underdog to anyone, but a "relatively" good team, i.e., good in its own division or at its own level, might be. It's polite and gentlemanly to speak highly of the team you've paid to come take a beating in front of your families and fans, but it's not a sin to be honest that Kent State is not a good football team when assessed by the standards of the top FBS teams. The Dawgs and the coaching staff stumbled this week and there is no shame at all in that. The season is long, the players and staff are human, not machines and the variables in winning week after week are deep and wide.

This will be a good week for all, even us Alumni and fans, to reflection on just how tenuous and precarious a championship run really is and appreciate every game as it comes and avoid projecting too far into the future. Bama stepped forward this week, doing exactly what is expected to be done to an over matched conference opponent, and we stepped backwards by playing fast and loose with the "house money" earned in the first three games. That has to end and 4 games into the season is a good time to shut that down.

Go Dawgs!