Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart updates Arik Gilbert status with Georgia football team

SystemSystem Posts: 10,466 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart updates Arik Gilbert status with Georgia football team

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart said Arik Gilbert has been practicing with the team this week, but he stopped short of saying he’ll be traveling with the team this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good to hear about Carter and Ladd. I do hope that AG is able to start getting some more snaps, for his sake.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand that Gilbert has been "going through some things" but I think that he needs to decide whether he really wants to be in football or not. This isn't rec football, this is a top rated program with a lot of kids giving it every ounce of energy they have to be on the team and to get a scholarship spot. No one is making him play football and he can drop out of college if he wants but he can't just hang around and get on the field for a few plays, commit a couple of penalties and coast by talent alone. His NFL draft stock is tanking every week that he doesn't play as I'm sure no NFL team would risk drafting him if he's going to have issues. It's been 15 months now, get it together or move on and find happiness.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby has been more than patient, with AG. Time for him to move on to another team, or away from football. Can't hold his hand for another year.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@kirkhilles and @Popeyethesailor

I am curious. What does UGA gain by Arik Gilbert leaving the program right now, or at any point before the end of the season?

What does UGA lose by letting him stay?

If the issue were insubordination during practice, being a distraction in the locker room, committing infractions off the field or breaking team rules then yes. But were that the case, Kirby Smart would have suspended him by now (at minimum). Since he hasn't - and hasn't said anything negative at all about Gilbert's behavior or character - we have no reason to presume any of those negative scenarios.

There is nothing wrong - absolutely nothing harmed or lost - with or by allowing Gilbert to remain with the program until the end of the season and then evaluate next steps. Indeed, if Gilbert isn't breaking rules or causing trouble, what justification would Smart and UGA have for not cutting him loose? Suppose if it were a skill or ability issue: his simply not being good enough to ever contribute due to a missed recruiting evaluation. Would anyone want him off the team now? Of course not. Everyone would say "wait until the end of the season, let him know that his scholarship won't be renewed, and help him transfer to Georgia State or someplace where he can continue his education and get on the field." No reason to give Gilbert harsher treatment merely because he is a 5 star recruit.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2022

I'm not running for political office, but I see merits to the points made by virtually all posters on this article (at least re: AG) 😁

The compassion for a young man who appears to be struggling (yet has high potential) is an obvious consideration... and a good one. Another is the fact that, as with any group working on a common goal, a seemingly low-impact team member receiving incremental leadership time and team focus might be unfair to others... also a valid consideration.

This is a tough, tough situation in any team/organization, even when you know all the facts. We clearly don't, and the slew of articles across multiple sites with very little additional info just fuels speculation... and speculation is rarely positive.

For me, I just hope that AG getting the additional support he seems to need doesn't negatively affect some other Dawgs trying to make a difference and/or build themselves further.

Ultimately, "in Kirby we trust" has turned out to be a pretty good prescription over the past few years, so I'll do my best to reserve judgment until this all winds itself up 🤐🙏

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one outside the UGA football operation knows what Gilbert has or has not done. No one. So speculating that he hasn't caused any problems internally is just as useless (and uninformed) as speculating that he has. And just because Kirby hasn't told us that he's causing problems, doesn't mean that he hasn't. WE JUST DON'T KNOW. I personally THINK the team is better off without him, but what I think matters not. If Kirby is OK with him remaining a part of the team, for whatever reason, I support that. I would have supported William Poole (who I believe is a far more valuable player right now than Gilbert) staying with the team, too. I support all Dawgs, until they are Dawgs no longer. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes...we DO know he's not causing problems. Otherwise, Smart would have never allowed him to come back for the 2022 season.

You can look at this from a bubble of ignorance or note Smart's past behavior regarding "problem children", regardless of talent level. How many talented players has he sent packing or allowed to walk out the door over disagreements or poor attitude? Gilbert is no exception. As long ashe does what is asked of him and maintains a good attitude, he'll be a Bulldog.

Just be patient. Kirby wouldn't commit time and effort in his direction, if he thought it was a lost cause. Gilbert may be "The Man" next year, along with Bowers, Delp and Sprewell. They don't really NEED him this year and he has at least 1 or 2 more years of eligibility. He's still got a Red Shirt and COVID year.

He can still contribute in a meaningful way...similar to what Pickens did at the end of the 2021 season.

I think a lot of Fans are underestimating the resources at the disposal of UGA's Athletic Department. LOL

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It actually is better to keep AG on the team and help him reach his goals. 1) because that's what CKS's program professes to do for all of its players and 2) because it shows all the players in the program that UGA is not providing lip service to players and parents about helping every player reach their goals. UGA puts the student athlete first.

AG may never play another down for UGA. Personally I am beginning to think he does not. He just doesn't seem to be fully engaged in the program and in maximizing his contribution in the program and value in himself. Like I have said in other posts, it is not that hard. The structure is in place. Just follow the protocol. He may somehow find his way to the field this season, he may not. It very much seems like a replay of last year that kept him out all year.

Whether he plays or not this season, this season is it for AG in college football. IF he keeps his weight in check he will provide satisfactory test numbers and be drafted. There is enough on tape from LSU for him to be drafted. Being a college student just does not seem to be in the cards. Getting paid to play football with no other requirements seems to be where he is headed.

But if CKS's practices and playing for UGA is too much to handle, wait until he lines up for drills at the combine and scouts from every team are watching him and his professional future is on the line. He really would benefit from maturing, practicing , training and playing for the rest of the season in preparation.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This whole AG thing is way overblown. Some things are much bigger than football. I trust Kirby to do right by him and his family. He has ability no doubt. But he's still a kid. Let him live his life, get things straight and he'll be a better person because of it. Don't know why that's so hard for folks to understand. Lot's of up votes by me on the understanding fellas who had fine posts below. I wish Mr. Gilbert well in everything he does. If I knew him personally, I'd go out of my way to help him. That's just the way things should be nowadays. We certainly need more of it. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fact is the Dawgs are fine without AG. Could he be an asset if fully engaged, yes. I think CKS is playing his cards right, he has nothing to lose by helping AG, it may pay dividends on the field, it may not. Hopefully UGA and it's staff and players will have a positive impact on his life.

It really shouldn't be front page news IMO, leave the kid/young man alone....