Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football-Missouri instant observations as Bulldogs flirt with danger in **** win

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So what if the Dawgs are #4 or 5 in the polls. The goal is to finish #1 and UGA still is on track for that. Win each Saturday, win the East, win the SEC. And then there is a chance for #1 when it really matters.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd love to hear more from the DN community (or maybe Connor) on what exactly is wrong with the O-line too. I watched carefully in replays, and there didn't seem to be a lack of effort or many overtly missed assignments, and these are certainly big guys with talent. They just got whipped for three quarters.

Like you, the whole game and after, all I could think was coaching, coaching, coaching. This rotational scheme seems to be putting them off, somehow. Or is it technique. I kept wondering what these guys would like if Pittman were still here.

As a guy who played defense, I'm not as well-versed as I'm sure many others are on here are about O-line technique training, coaching, and rotational schemes, so would love to hear from others, or maybe even a Connor deep dive article.

Thanks, all!

• Options
    Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Coach Luke and Sam are definitely missed. Not having the bigger bodies like Jordan Davis is also very noticeable

• Options
    NewbombTurkNewbombTurk Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I was reminded of a Jim Bouton quote from Ball Four:

"The underdog role is fun to play. And easy, because there's no pressure."

That was Missouri last night.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure I completely agree, but there’s much here that is on point. The comeback comment, particularly. I think, though, that the idea there is that we really shouldn’t have been in that position against a 2-2 Mizzou team. Still, your point stands, and GO DAWGS!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Team felt like a Richt team. Looking for leadership. The pregame stuff with jalen would have never happened the past 3 seasons. We need leadership. The kids look lost

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only think I notice substantially different is that we didn’t work the perimeter pass game as much. This expansion and contraction really helped get linebackers and dlineman out leveraged when we’d bring it back to the run game. Also, we lost the ability to use Stetsons legs when he roughed up his shoulder early in the game so that threat was limited. I mainly think those boys manhood just got tested tho. They got whipped by dudes who use z’s as s’s. 😬

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your point on the pregame BS is a really good one that shouldn’t go unnoticed. We didn’t just lose just talent with the draft and portal this past year, we lost some leadership and maturity. In particular, on the D side, the loss of a Jordan and Nakobe is noticeable from a culture/leadership perspective… bet the Eagles are happy, though! 😄

It’s now a question of who is going to step up in on-field leadership, beyond SBIV. Will Nolan kick it up a notch above his usually nice demeanor and get on those who need it? Who’s going to take a leadership role in the O-line? Coaches can only do so much (and they need to improve, too), as they’re not on the field. It’s those 2-3 beyond SBIV (I’d think one for each of D-line, D-backs, and O-line) where a strong voice, synched-up with the coaches and SBIV, needs to take charge in-practice and ON THE FIELD.

Those strong, coordinated on-field leaders, to me, are what made the difference in last year’s team, especially during the CFP. Who’s next?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

#2 is not a between the tackles runner and I wish our coaches could figure it out so those plays aren’t called when he’s in the game. Our O line coach hire was a head scratcher. I didn’t think he was that good when he was here the first time and he obviously hasn’t improved any. Hope he’s one and done in Athens.