Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media puzzeled by Georgia football performance against Missouri: ‘We did not play well’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,712 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageSocial media puzzeled by Georgia football performance against Missouri: ‘We did not play well’

Georgia football did not play its best football against Missouri.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tomdialwestervilletomdialwesterville Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

What do you mean, 'We didn't play well'?" The Georgia Bulldogs played awesome. Missouri came out filled with fire, determined to knock off the No. 1 team in the country. MISSOURI PLAYED SUPERB . . . FOR THREE QUARTERS. But the Bulldogs fought back so gallantly they wore Missouri down, then crushed 'em in the fourth quarter. That's what great football teams do. Sorry you missed it.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs shouldn't be ranked any higher than #4 or 5, and that's being more than generous. I think Ohio State moves up to #1.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, good teams find ways to win, while an average team would have folded and taken a L..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was impressed with MO's intensity and physicality. They looked like a pretty good team. Hopefully they play as hard/well vs FU next week.

JDJ's rant on the sideline was a bad look and not "leadership". Better to conference and find out who/why assignment was missed.

DWash came up big. He is open even when he is covered.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay, UGA escaped Mizzou...play like that against Auburn..first loss...IMO. UGA is not playing to expectations as most have been realizing. Kirby was so thrilled with the win you would have thought he just beat Bama again. That told me something. The Dawgs were favorites. to win that one by double digits....not 4 pts. They will lose number one status....likely # 4 or 5. Takes the pressure off at least. Ohio State played well, Bama too. UGA may need to claw back to be in the playoff picture. The OL is just not there yet. Very young team. Bennett blew many opps. Big 0 was superb! Keep at it Dawgs...you will get there. This is a totally different team from 2021. Need to step up the run game again. The schedule gets tougher not lighter.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone realize that the only wins this Missouri team had so far this season was against LA Tech and Abilene Christian? Kansas State demolished them.

Egads, and we almost lost to these guys...

On a positive note, great to see Blaylock and Washington getting more catches...and is the jinx finally off McConkey now? Edwards impressive and Milton and McIntosh both contributing in Q4.

A lot of things to fix and work on, but for me the #1 issue is the O-line. D-line not far behind...we got gashed for big running plays more than once.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

I saw that this was Georgia's first SEC win when trailing by double digits in the second half since 2007. If memory serves, that was the Vanderbilt game. Does anyone remember Coutu hitting as time expired for the win, how happy they were to beat Vandy, and how good that team would go on to become?

Obviously there is a lot of work to be done. The point is, hope is not lost. I'm still not sure that anyone else has a win as good as Georgia's best. I don't know how to explain this funk that they're in, but the potential is certainly there. Last night we saw an objectively poor performance; that much is not reasonably in dispute. What remains to be seen is whether a game like that is a harbinger of a disappointing season, or if it is the sort of moment that galvanizes the team and gets them back on track. Until a poor performance actually costs them a game, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

During the second quarter I posted a comment questioning the team's chemistry. It mostly stemmed from the moment when JDJ was letting Lassiter have it on the sideline. I think Missouri had just scored their one touchdown, and things seemed to be unraveling. The way they finished out the game has me second guessing my assessment. Smart's comment about the locker room vibe is also encouraging.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What about all the talk in prior years about Alabama being number one till someone beat them? No, our offensive game was not good and the play calling was highly questionable for 3 quarters but we still walked away with a win in a game that we could have easily lost. I am not happy at all about how we played and our O-Line played as bad as can be but we did win.

Our defense limited them to field goals, including stopping them on the field where any other team would have punted. They just happened to have a guy that was on fire when kicking. He could have easily hit a 60 yarder if he had to. I have no idea how so many balls hit our defenders in the hands and none were intercepted, which is inexcusable to me, but our defense, overall, was pretty darned good.

Why should we not be number one till someone takes us down? If not number one, why do some, including folks on here, feel we should drop to 5 or 6? That's crazy.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I posted on another article about who are going to be the 2-3 other Dawgs to become on-field leaders along with SBIV. I actually think two folks you mentioned have potential. Darnell has already been stated by Kirby as a guy who’s getting it done in the locker room in terms of pumping the team up. Maybe he gets on the field more often and has more impact with the line. While several were unhappy with JDJ’s sideline rant (I didn’t think it was the greatest look either, to be frank), I saw a glimmer of hope that this might be, with proper coaching, another on-field voice like Nakobe or JD had been.

I don’t know who it will be, but someone HAS to step-up. Other than the O-line (which may be as much coaching and scheme issues as anything else) and SBIV missing “soft throws” (clearly scrambling all night, to be fair), the obvious issue right now is what most of you have implied: chemistry… which is critical to execution.

So, who’s next to step up?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kudzu I, too, wasn't that upset by JDJ's rant. At first I thought it was directly at Lassiter, but the way Lassiter was looking. maybe the actual WORDS he was saying were about the defense in general, not specifically Lassiter. My biggest problem with his rant, though, is that later in the game when Dumas had his own opportunity to make plays, he whiffed a couple of times. I mean, if you're going to call out people, when your number is called, you MUST step up. He didn't always do that, even though the stat sheet will show he led the team in tackles. But it was good to see that the game really mattered to those guys. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As much as I hate to say it, I don’t think the Georgia team that I have watched play against 3 of the last 4 opponents are a top 5 team. For starters, Alabama, Ohio State and Tennessee will slaughter that defense. Tennessee and Alabama’s defensive front will wreck Georgia’s offensive line. Georgia has the talent but I’m not sure the energy is there right now. They need to refocus and stop buying the hype, the Heisman talk for Bowers and Stetson. Hopefully we can get some players back to reignite the fire and desire to be the best.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Darn!!! Where are people like you, when I'm ready to put down a couple thousand. Unfortunately...sucker's like you...with money to bet...don't exist.

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from States that allow "sports betting".

The Dawgs are every bit as good or better than the Team you saw destroy Oregon. I don't have to tell you, Oregon is undefeated since that game...with a large point differential.

Which is more likely???

UGA got lucky against Oregon, Samford & S. CAR? Approaching record breaking numbers? Then somehow managed to start showing their "true colors", as some suggest, and face some adversity, because they suddenly found themselves inferior.

OR

What you saw through the first few weeks, is the REAL UGA. They can still score at will and stop anybody they want to...when they want to. When I say "they"...I'm not talking about the players. I'm talking about the coaches.

I don't think the coaching staff anticipated the struggle Mizz would give em...but, like CKS said, "We could have done some things schematically to help em out. Changed some things up." That wasn't the game plan, though...Smart is fire-tempering his Dawgs. Getting them ready for the latter half of the season.

BTW...UGA will be ranked #1 in Jan and Feb. I think the Dawgs are right where Kirby wants em...@ #2 or [not #1] in the polls and in their own self-awareness. Champions...every **** one of em.

• Options
    SOARDAWGSOARDAWG Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

There's no denying the fact the Misery kitties had the Dawgs on a short leash for most of the game. Which brings up the question, "Why?", Heisman hype, rat poison overconfidence, reloading from losing a ton of talent to the NFL, road game against a SEC team or a combination of those things and more. IMHO, I think they way the Dawgs played was more about reloading with younger pups, maybe, just maybe being a little overconfident, but perhaps the biggest factor is expectations.

Still, as bad as that game was, the one thing that's pretty much been a standard in the SEC is the fact that no team can be taken lightly, well, except for maybe Tennessee's puddle pirates. The way the kitties played Saturday, against other conferences teams, I honestly believe they would have beaten at least 80% of them, yet the Dawgs found a way to win. Is this team better than last year's team, despite the past couple of games, I believe they are, at least talent wise that is, experience is a different matter altogether.

All this being said, I still believe the Dawgs will go 12-0, will win the SEC Championship game and ultimately another National Championship. The Dawgs are just as good if not better than those inbred pachyderms left of the glorious state of Georgia, the same goes for those Jokehio nuts. I believe Saturday's game accomplished 2 important things, a solid wake-up call reminding the Dawgs they can't take anyone for granted, and pushing past adversities to win.

As for slipping in the rankings, big friggin deal, the only one that matters comes after the CFP Championship game, personally, I prefer the Dawgs being at #2. Hopefully the drop from #1 accomplishes 2 things, it makes the Dawgs hungry to get back to the top, and the sports media chuckleheads focuses their rat poison hype on some other team. Look for next week to be a free kitty neutering clinic, compliments of the Dawgs.

GO DAWGS!!!