Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

You have to look hard to find positives as Dawgs avoid big upset

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageYou have to look hard to find positives as Dawgs avoid big upset

There’s a lot to unpack from Georgia’s **** comeback win over lightly regarded Missouri.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill, we should have been re-focusing after Kent State - a big enough wake up call in itself. Yesterday we barely beat a team whose only wins this season were against LA Tech and Abilene Christian!

O-line play and red zone offense... defense giving up big plays...biggest issues in my mind. Plenty of work to do. As others have pointed out, a leader on the defense needs to step up.

Positives - play by Pod, Blaylock, Washington, Edwards, McIntosh and Milton at times.

GO DAWGS!!

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior

Positives:

1) a win, they all count the same….still in it.

2) a young team, they just grew up a little more and are learning how to win in difficult situations…..despite several key injuries.

3) without the turnovers (and key drops), they play much better, a different game…..they’ve played without turnovers before.

4) the team stayed together and fought, there is a reason why there are 4 quarters.

5) “any given Saturday”……it can happen to anyone - and it does at some point.

6) 2nd most “blue chip” players on roster in the country behind Bama….and that is a very small number. The team gets better..

7) not as bad as some think, especially when you look at the stats.

8) the staff is basically the same one as last year, I believe.

OH!…..did I say it was a win??

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From the very beginning the offensive game plan seemed different than the previous games to me. Lots of runs that went no where. Well that didn’t work so let’s run it again. Just strange.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1 what you said, and like those back-to-back calls where Bennett rolled to his left and tried to throw (unsuccessfully) across his body. Those plays looked **** and even the TV announcers were basically like, "what's ups with that?" I don't know, maybe Monken is spending too much time "interviewing" for various head coaching jobs instead of focusing 100 percent on his current position. Just a thought. Go Dawgs!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe the issues we saw with the defense center around youth, missed assignments, and aggressiveness. Young players end in the wrong spot, with a blown assignment, trying to land a big hit. The one that seems immune to this is Starks who is playing like a veteran. The challenge with the offense seems to be the O line and lack of cohesion and power. Not sure if the issue is physical or finding the right 5, but it looks bad. If UGA is going to have to wait until the 4th quarter to wear down the other team, they better be hoping for a very low scoring game. It may be time to quit subbing so freely on the line trying to build depth when it may be hurting performance.

As was always said to me; never apologize for a victory. UGA just needs to learn, adapt, and move forward. Go DAWGS

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

I seem to remember

“Buck back, third down on the eight, in trouble, gotta block behind him, gonna throw on the run, complete to the 25 to the 30 Lindsay Scott 35,40 Lindsay Scott, 45, 50, 45,40 run Lindsay 35,30,25,20,15,10,5, Lindsay Scott, Lindsay Scott, Lindsay Scott

Oh ye of little faith

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honest question here. Does GA not have a red zone passing play to target Washington or are they just saving it for the right moment? Seems like all he does is block when we get close to the goal line. Mind you, he is a fantastic blocker and moves people out of the way. However, he also has great hands and can make tough, contested catches.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were a few positives. PK Pod was clutch. Thankfully. Dom looks like he can help. Not sure why fans think subbing on the OL is "bad". THAT may be what wore the MO DL down by the 4thQ. OL is beating the man in front of you by wanting to win more than he does. W/UGA's size and skill there is no excuse for not run blocking better. UGA should be able to go 2 deep across the line and be able to run the ball.

Surprising article by Bill as a Dawgnation writer. Discussed the teams shortcomings in the last two games very frankly. Do not see a lot of consumption of rat poison going forward. Should be a wake up call for the team. And the fans.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent article, Bill.

I love a good back and forth heavyweight slugfest as much as anybody, but not when one of the teams is Georgia. Then I want us to go up by 33 points before we then begin to pull away.

Kudos for boring death-machine Georgia!

Go, Dawgs!