Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following worrying win over Missouri

SystemSystem Posts: 10,474 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following worrying win over Missouri

Georgia football came away with a 26-22 win over Missouri on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our offense line is going to be on my “losers” list if they don’t start playing up to their potential. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

……..but they saved themselves Saturday by getting it together in the 4th quarter. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

Yeah for as big and bad as our offensive line claims to be, they looked pretty pathetic in the 1st half. Watching teams like Kent state, much more undersized guys, push us around, is a statement to that. Missouri recruits in the SEC, so they know what is needed. For all the stars and accolades of these guys before they came to UGA, they look more like 3 star or less. It's almost as if they think they can just beat the opposing defense on talent, but it isn't working out. Yes stetson can get away, for the most part, but he shouldn't have to 75% of the game. So we don't need anymore articles about "not playing to our standard" please.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great point! These guys have plenty of talent and experience and should be performing at a much higher level. I think if Coach Searels can figure out what the problem is and make the necessary adjustments, then we not only see a more explosive run game and a cleaner pocket to throw from, but we also see the much needed improvement in the red zone. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Joedawg1Joedawg1 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

With all of the talented OL coaches out there, I will never understand why we were willing to hire Stacey Searels to lead this charge.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Figured I would just take the explanation off of a site, that would explain it maybe a little better than I - see below:

Chop Block:

a. High-Low

The most common type of chop block is also referred to as a high-low block. 

It's named as such since one offensive player blocks a defender high while another player blocks the same defender low.

Here, one offensive player (usually a lineman) engages with a defender above the waist for a block. 

Then, a second offensive player (typically the lineman next to them) blocks that same defender below the waist. 

This type of chop block was very successful in that it upended the defender. 

But at the same time, it resulted in a lot of major injuries to defenders' ankles and knees. 

This type of block would often see defenders roll their ankles or bend their legs in awkward ways, causing significant injuries.

This type of chop block has been illegal for a while.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not going to hand a loser tag on any individual but there was certainly room for improvement in several aspects of our Defense and Offense. Looking forward to seeing a few less FG's and a lot more TD's

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Carter was **** for starting the fight. Mizzou then took him out.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Georgia had twice as many first downs, 50% more total yardage, 40% more time of possession, etc. Turnovers, dropped/bad passes, and untimely penalties wreck momentum and make games closer than they should be. Clean those things up, and you've got the blow-out that many people think is the only acceptable outcome. I'm reasonably happy with undefeated and chocked full of talent. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all know if we can make it through the East(something I thought was a forgone conclusion, but evidently it's not) we will be facing BAMA again. I watched (maybe some of you did too) them thoroughly dismantle a Razorback team that I THOUGHTwould give them a run for their money. It was a laugher that became a game when Young got injured but turned quickly to a laugher again when the BAMA RB posing as a QB pulled off a couple of big runs. Good runner.

Pittman's guys looked totally inept compared to BAMA's. BAMA's offensive line gave Young when he was in all day to pick out receivers and the only thing that saved Arkansas a few times were drops by the BAMA receivers. BAMA controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides the majority of the game.

So, my question is this: We were "whipped" KS said so, on the O-Line by their defense. I heard on one of the sports talk shows after the game that Mizzou had 2 really good DE's. I can't argue with that. My question is does MIzzou have better talent on the the defensive side of the ball than our O-Line goes up against inpractice every day, or was it a coaching thing where we got out schemed, or we're just not that good or coached up?

No disrespect to the MIZZOU QB but if they had of had a better QB, they win. He was never going to beat us,but we almost pixed it away.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" Georgia wasn’t winning on first down, forcing the offense to consistently play in second and long. Of the eight first down plays Georgia ran inside the red zone, just two gained positive yardage."

Pitiful. Our poor Red Zone productivity could end up being our Achilles Heel. We've got to fix this now.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I felt like from the get-go Saturday the offensive game-plan or play calling was way too timid. Run, Run, now it's 3rd and 7. That hasn't been us all year. One chance to throw it now for SB and the defense is pinning it's ears back. Good luck SB! I was trying to think of what it reminded me of, and it hit me this morning , it reminded me of Mike Bobo play calling at times, Monken didn't seem to have a good scheme as BA said on his show.

I know the field position for us was terrible for a long time, but if you are going to throw on 3rd down and 7 from your own 10 yard line , then you can certailny thow it on 1st or 2nd down too, when they might be expecting a run.

I felt like our offensive game plan fell right into what they do (or to our O-line anyway) best, get after the QB in for sure passing downs. Odd.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree. Would never have happened last year. We're not missing talent, we're missing leadership on the field beyond SBIV (and no QB can do it alone). I'm hopeful this game will cause leaders to step up, as I think I saw with JDJ, Darnell, etc.... but will our current group of coaches under CKS drive and/or capitalize on it? TBD...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, if there was one thing positive to say about Richt is that he NEVER would've allowed/put up with a Georgia player taunting an opposing player on their bench. He would've benched him and rightfully so.

Football is a mental and emotional sport as much as it's physical. That's why there are so many upsets - weaker teams can often prevail when they are "fired up" and have a reason to hate the opponent. It'd be interesting to see a stat of how teams responded when the other coach/team was saying **** and arrogant stuff about the other team. I'd bet the odds change quite dramatically when that happens.

Georgia doesn't do that. Smart never says **** stuff that often other coaches do and he should not allow that type of behavior. If it were me, I would've publicly apologized for the player and stated that it will not happen again.

• Options

The "bad word filter" is really quite amusing as ironically, it makes you look like you are cussing when you are not.

S T U P I D and U G L Y are not bad words. No broadcast is going to bleep it if you say, well that was an ug*y performance.

• Options

I think the biggest problem is that our NFL defense last year made up for the often lack of offense. People have forgotten how many points our defense scored and I think it's underestimated how much momentum they took away from the other team and gave to Georgia.

The offense needs to step up. We need aggressive play calling and put in Beck when it's not working out.