Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Viral outburst from Jamon Dumas-Johnson a positive sign for Georgia football: ‘He’s been great’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,462 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageViral outburst from Jamon Dumas-Johnson a positive sign for Georgia football: ‘He’s been great’

Georgia football linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnson is emerging into a big-time leader for Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is a GREAT and timely article, with fine analysis/perspective, on what's really troubling the Dawgs right now: a need for on-field leadership (and possibly some O line scheme/coaching adjustments). Interested to see who steps up next to SBIV, Nolan, and (likely?) JDJ.

Eager for Saturday!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Leadership is a good thing, but players publicly ripping another a new one, particularly when they might not be the prime culprit, isn't always the best option. Doesn't happen much with Georgia, but when I see it on other teams, I don't see it as , "Oh no, that'll unify them", but rather, "Heck yeah, they're in such disarray they're attacking each other." No matter, JDJ is huge for us this year, and thankfully at least next year, too! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kamari Lassiter blew the play and Jamon Dumas-Johnson let him have it. It's what team leaders do. It's great to see the passion our team has and the tough love they have for one another.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said. Nothing strengthens a team like seeing the other team meltdown and go after each other. That's when you know "they're cracking" and "we got'em now!"

But what is CKS going to say? CKS is pretty desperate to develop player leadership on this young team. JDJ is a prime candidate to be that guy. And is trying to be that guy. So we have to give JDJ some time and room to grow into that role. Even if he has some growing pains doing so.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Even Kirby measures his response. Leadership is important, but it must be measured.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lassiter wasn’t the only one that blew coverage on that play.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

"spirited conversation he was having on the sideline with cornerback Kamari Lassiter." No one knows what was actually said. We can see that Lassiter didn't defend himself. Maybe he was being praised or maybe he was receiving encouragement or maybe he was getting his butt chewed by a team leader. Thank you JDJ! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe JDJ's tirade was about Lassiter's play earlier in that series/drive... where he got beat for a sizable gain, and had a PI penalty. But the gain was on an extended play (tough for even the best), and the PI was tight coverage and totally ticky-tack. On the final/TD play, however, Lassiter kept coverage on the WR (as was his assignment), and Chris Smith or one of the LBs didn't pick up the TE who leaked out to the right. In any case, good that JDJ saved his opinion for the sidelines, whether it was over-the-top or not... never a good look or impact when that stuff happens on the field. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"HEY MAN, WE'RE GONNA GRILL SOME BURGERS AND PLAY CORN HOLL LATER. YOU NEEEEED TO COME OVER MMMKAAAY!!!"

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I've said previously, I saw nothing wrong with JDJ's outburst. The team needed some sort of spark and he tried to give it. Notice that no Georgia coaches or support personnel tried to step in. They were letting the players handled it. As Connor rightly points out, Nakobe Dean did the EXACT same thing to Channing Tindall in the National Championship game. The only reason it didn't go on longer is because it was on the field and they had to get ready for the next play. Fans overreacted to what they saw Saturday because the cameras caught it and focused on it (something I notice they DON'T do when Nick Saban is chewing out one of his players), but I highly doubt the Missouri sideline noticed or cared. Stuff like that is often hard to see at field level across from the other team. I say, as long as it done in a timely fashion and not after every play or series, keep it up, JDJ. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Matt Stinchcomb on Finebaum made similar comments about the O line. He said they were on point at times, seemed tehnically off and mentally clocked out at others.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey Conner, I don't think you have the right assessment. Dean didn't let Tindall have an earful because Tindall had gotten in his way, but because Tindall missed his assignment and if Dean hadn't fulfilled Tindall's responsibility for him on that particular play, Bama would have scored a touchdown.

• Options
    edited October 2022

What Dean did was not the exact same thing. The degree of hissy fit that DJD had FAR exceeded what Dean did. What Dean said was less demonstrative and lasted 3 seconds. And you know what? Tindall pushed him away and said get out of my face. What DJD said went on for 10-12 seconds. Way over the top. I like that Lassiter just walked away. THAT showed maturity. You NEED maturity before you can lead.

Absolutely smart players notice when the opposition is coming apart. If they didn't their coaches did and told them.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thing is the stats show that JDJ has backed his talk with his level of play. Dawgs NEED Leaders in ALL areas of the team from the Players. He chewed Lassiter on the sideline Not on the field. I disagree with some of you who see that as a bad thing, and that the rival team benefits from it. Well No the rival team did Not benefit from it, the Dawgs Defense DID step up their level of play. If JDJ is in the wrong to chew other players that are not playing up to the Elite standard, what’s he supposed to do call a time out and take him to the locker room ?? Or be a meek, mild mannered leader that No One pays attention to ?? Remember he’s Backing HIS mouth with his level of play. I LIKE that he has fire in his belly. Need Waaay more of it on Both sides of the ball !! I’d heap rather see that emotion than I had the zombie like play we’ve seen ( Especially on Offense) and the look of indifference on To Many of our guys faces !! Now the Auburn Center has issued our D Line a challenge with his insult “We’ll demolish them” !! I Want to see our Defense flying to the ball !! I Want to see our DL man handle their O Line in particular the loud mouthed Center !! To do these things sometimes you have to have some fire in the belly !! You have to play Angry sometimes !! The Ole play like your heads on fire and your azz is catching deal !! I think you can play with emotion and Still keep your head enough to execute plays in a good way. P.S. I Will say that as of Right Now it’s our Offense that needs to get fired up more in my opinion. If JDJ wasn’t doing HIS job and was just running his mouth my comments would be totally different. But he IS a leader in Stats in the games played this far, so he’s Earned the right to chew on guys that are not playing up to standards. Coaches say Allot that they NEED players to be Leaders both by Example & Vocally !! Be Glad that JDJ is embracing being a leader !! Kirby seems pleased and proud of him !! That right there is enough for me !!

• Options
    edited October 2022

"no the rival team did not benefit from it". Really? JDJ's blowup happened after the MO TD with 13:39 left in the 2nd Q. UGA didn't take the lead until 4:45 left in the 4th Q. And only because of some very clutch FG's and catches by DBlaylock and DWash. MO fed off it for almost half the game. UGA dodged a bullet and eked out a win. MO absolutely fed on UGA's lack of poise.

• Options

BTW "stats show that JDJ has backed his talk". It would be a news story if DJD DIDN'T lead UGA in tackles. The entire UGA defensive scheme is designed for the DL to occupy blockers and the LB's (especially the MLB) to flow to the ball and make tackles. UGA had 3 DL taken in the 1st rd in the last NFL draft. None of them led the team in tackles or sacks.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Each to their own. I disagree. And the Blow up was as you cited After the Mizzou TD. And After the Blowup the Dawgs Defense stiffened considerably as the article cited. So from a defensive stand point Mizzou Did Not benefit from the Blow up. But Rather it seems the Dawgs Defense Did stiffen up shortly after that as well. Poise is a good thing Yes, but some fiery play is a Good thing as well. Remember the Junk Yard Dawgs ?? I think there is plenty of room for Both fire and poise. And lastly and Again he didn’t do it out on the field of play. Countless CFB Coaches ask for their players to play with Leadership, yes Poise, but some Fire to. That fire has been missing on the Offense of late and I just hope it doesn’t creep into the Defensive ranks. Coaches can’t be out on the field so having a Leader like JDJ holding guys accountable is a Good thing in my view.