Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am going with the "dinged up" Stetson.....dinged up can be various degrees of injury with Smart. You just don't know. Stetson himself admitted his shoulder bothered him. He took some direct punishment from Missouri. I suspect he will be okay for Vandy. The only team to throttle Vandy was Bama...55 to 3. Vandy led slow-starting Ole Miss at half 20 to 17 before finally being blown away 52 to 28. Vandy has scored well in "most" games they have played thus far. However, they have no pass defense....so let's see Stetson improve his stats. I would like to see at least a 56 to 0 game for UGA.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

As I mentioned before when I expressed skepticism over the idea of Bennett being hurt - before UGA publicly acknowledged it the past couple of days - then it really makes no sense. If Bennett is hurt why has he been playing? Why not sit him against Kent State and South Carolina, two bad teams that had no chance? Why play him against Missouri, who has no offense, and Auburn who was playing their 4th string QB? And especially why play him until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter in a blowout?

If Carson Beck would be less effective than an injured Stetson Bennett then play Brock Vandagriff. If Carson Beck AND Brock Vandagriff are less effective than an injured Stetson Bennett then it means that Kirby Smart flat out wasn't telling the truth when he called UGA's current QB room "the best he has ever had" because the 2017 QB room included Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason (currently on the Carolina Panthers practice squad) and ... Stetson Bennett. Even the 2018 QB room had Fromm and the starting QB of the Chicago Bears. So if Beck and Vandagriff are not better options than letting Bennett's shoulder heal then it means that - unlike 2017 and 2018 - UGA has only one viable QB. That also makes UGA's current QB room worse than 2019 and 2020 because back then they had Stetson Bennett and JT Daniels.

So either Bennett's throwing shoulder injury is so minor that it isn't worth mentioning (so why are they mentioning it?)

OR

Bennett's throwing shoulder injury is substantial but he is playing through it because Beck and Vandagriff are bad (then how is this Smart's best ever QB room?)

OR

Bennett's throwing shoulder injury is substantial but UGA is choosing to let him play through it over putting Beck or Vandagriff in against a bunch of bad teams for reasons that make absolutely no sense. It only keeps Bennett's shoulder from healing and increases the chances that the injury will be even worse during the Florida/Mississippi State/Kentucky/Tennessee stretch when UGA will actually need him. Oh, it will heal up during the bye week? Which means that it would have healed up during ANY of the games against bad teams that UGA has had since Oregon.

Which is it? Oh, if only there were SOMEONE who was present during Kirby Smart's press conferences and could ask him these questions.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow if THAT picture isn't the definition of a "50/50" ball I don't know what is. AD made a great, great catch of a 50/50 ball.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Bennett isn’t setting the world on fire, but he is doing lightyears better than JT at West Virginia. I had hoped JT would do well because of his UGA loyalty last year, but it looks like he’s having a fairly mediocre 2-3 season. Doesn’t break my heart that Burton is the 4th or 5th best receiver at Bama because his loyalty was lacking in Athens and I feel like his departure was much different than JT’s. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    RationalDawgRationalDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

You present a logical conundrum - the answer to which might be interesting. But what is more interesting is the exact nature of your allegiance. Who is your team? I see your drivel and drone all too often in the comment section of UGA articles at Saturday Down South. Are you a team-specific troll or a general-purpose troll? I'm trying to get a handle on your taxonomy.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

50/50 is generous. AD had the defender beat for a beautiful over-the-shoulder TD pass, but instead had to come back to an underthrown ball and practically **** it off the defender's back.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Probably a Bama fan who still believes that they would have won if Metchie and Williams weren’t hurt…..

Or a Clempsun fan who still believes that DJU has potential…….and who could throw to his receivers with his eyes closed…

Or a Tennerssee fan who still has their annual, delusional belief that this is their year……

Or a Floriduh fan who believes that they are just one coach away from a national championship…

Or a techie that….oh, never mind!

Anyway , you get the idea…..!

Go Dawgs !

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Down vote away I could care less. Doesn’t put food on my family’s table or pay any of our bills. But here’s the Truth with Some (a small some I hope) Dawgs fans. Stetson Bennett CANT win. If he lights it up against Vandy those same Dawgs fans will say Well it was just Vandy. If his performance vs Vandy is not absolutely flawless those same Dawgs fans will say See there, See there he can’t even pass against Vandy !! I Remember Very Clearly ( probably the same folks) comments last year right here on this same site, and ironically Allot of them at this same time of year We’ll NEVER win a National Title with Stetson Bennett at QB !! Well guess he broke your hearts along with Allot of Bama fans and our other Rivals. NO he certainly didn’t win it by himself, but he certainly Did contribute. And I Really Love how Some of the arm chair Experts think they are So Much smarter than Kirby Smart or Coach Monken when more than apt they’ve never even coached Pee Wee league football . Well bash away at Stetson, Kirby, Coach Monken, and you can Really unload on me as I don’t care. But I’ll Trust Kirby, Stets, and Coach Monken light years more than some “fan” that’s disgruntled. I’m not tickled pink with the slow starts either. And Yeah it’s a valid concern that slow starts like that could be a big liability facing better competition later in the schedule. BUT there must be a Valid Reason that KS and Coach Monken are sticking with Stetson At Least For Now. Unless you are in the inner circle with KS and staff You Dont Know. No more than I do. And You can Trust that Kirby and Coach Monken and the rest of the staff will get these things repaired, Or you can start lobbying the UGA Admin. to fire Kirby and Coach Monken after having won a National Title last year with primarily Stetson Bennett for most of that year, and Currently sitting at 6-0 with Stetson Bennett. I think I read that he’s not thrown an INT in 5 of these 6 games is that correct ? And the Only game that the Dawgs came Realistically anywhere close to losing was Mizzou on the road. So to close I’ll say Again in as strong of terms possible NO I don’t enjoy the slow starts, Especially against inferior competition on paper at least. And though my eyes ain’t what they used to be I’m not blind I can See that this could very much be a liability down the road. BUT I TRUST Kirby Smart, Coach Monken and the rest of the Coaching Staff to make the Right decisions. And if they decide to play Stetson then I figure they have a valid reason and I sincerely doubt it’s to snub Carson Beck, BVG, or Gunner. P.S. Some of you right here on this same site were saying last year that Maybe it might be Best for Carson Beck to transfer Lol. I hope we Keep Carson, BVG, Gunner and Add Another great QB or two to the team in 2023 and beyond !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think Bennett's shoulder has been hurt the ENTIRE SEASON, just since Missouri. But I don't think it's anything major, just a little tight or sore. But, as this article points out (and something I noticed as well) Bennett has been inaccurate on his longer throws ALL SEASON. It didn't just start with Missouri. He ranks second in the SEC in passing because his short throws (which lately have been no gimme's either) have been turned into something by the receivers. But when he has to throw it longer than 20 yards, obviously something isn't there. He says he has to fix it. But my concern is that he either doesn't know how or that it can't be fixed, because Bennett himself said that HE believes he's throwing those deep balls well, only to have them miss. I'm not advocating for Beck to play because I don't think his decision making is there yet, but I do believe he's a much more accurate passer than Bennett. This will be proven next season when he takes over as the starter and then people will see what I mean. Also, Ladd McConkey is a decent receiver, but he is not super fast. This narrative that's out there that his toe injury has substantially slowed him is just not accurate. Even when fully healthy, he's not blazing fast. He's quick and shifty, but not fast. He's not going to "stretch the field." And even if that were true about his toe, Bennett still practices with him EVERY DAY, so by now, he should be able to account for the injury. But again, I don't believe McConkey's toe is the issue. It's in his head now. It's been downplayed by most, but remember he muffed ANOTHER punt Saturday which, if he had lost it, could have put us in another hole early in the game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As usual. you're wrong. And btw, UGA is still UNDEFEATED. Eating you up isn't it?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time to get focused and serious is now. Time to be focused and serious is around the corner. Just win baby!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Griff raises the QB controversy again. Knew it was just a matter of time. Trust Kirby? Or Griff? Enuf said.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

“The shoulder was bothering him, but there hadn’t been a lot of large limitation,” Smart said

EXCEPT that Steddy has not been able to hit the man down field accurately, as he has early in the season. IF he is a major cog in the system (as many have said below) why is he playing and why is he playing in a blow out at the end.

I will beat this drum till some hears it, Saban beat us with a "back-up" QB twice, once for the Natty and the other for the SEC.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2022

Many appear to be deep-ball overthrows, which may be the result of slower substitute receivers. Overthrows can be more easily corrected, as it is related to timing more so than arm strength.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see the Natty TD pass differently. I think the ball was perfectly thrown—especially where Bennett had an offsides defender in his face. AD caught that ball near the back of the end zone. Had the ball arrived as an over-the-shoulder catch, AD might not have been able to come down with it in bounds. It was 40+ yards through the air. Beautiful (free) play by both QB and receiver.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alright everyone, the TRUTH TELLER is on the scene so settle down while I tell you what's up. I know some of you get upset when someone says something negative about a player - but you know what? I don't care! The truth is the truth and sometimes, truth hurts! First of all, all of you truth deniers that get upset when MG points out the truth about Bennett and his lack of ability in the long game need to look at the facts MG supplied instead of getting all ruffled up and crying about his supposed "negativity" towards Bennett. I see it as truth telling. MG has been fair on this matter - when Bennett was being "talked up" for the heisman, MG supplied some facts as to why that could be a possiblity. MG is fair. But MG tells the truth. Some of you can't handle the truth. Fact. I know, some of you think this should be a "fan only" site. It is, after all called "Dawgnation". But understand this. MG has a long career as a sports JOURNALIST. He has covered many teams, with the Dawgs being the latest. When he was hired, his employers knew exactly HOW he would cover the team and they hired him anyway. Don't be upset because he is doing his job. You want him to roll over for the dawgs and not be objective, that's fine - but you are frustrating yourself because you don't understand WHY he was hired in the first place. You have BA on staff who is a dawg FAN. That's the guy that will look at how the dawgs play through rose covered glasses. MG looks at how the dawgs play through a different lens. One that can be positive or negative depending on what the facts dictate. So, if the truth hurts, perhaps find another site where all they throw at you is unicorns and flowers. I appreciate the fact that when things are going wrong for the dawgs, someone is there to point it out. And when things are going great, that same person is pointing that out as well. I have heard MG support the dawgs to Finebaum as well as on other sports talk shows. But, again, that is not why he was hired. He is commissioned to tell the truth wherever that might lead. Thank you MG!