Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football legend Charley Trippi passes away at age 100

SystemSystem Posts: 10,425 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football legend Charley Trippi passes away at age 100

One of the truly great Georgia icons has passed away, as Charley Trippi died peacefully in his Athens home on Wednesday at the age of 100.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RIP Mr. Trippi.. You were, and will always be, the epitome of a DGD!

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

FYI - there was no United States Air Force in 1943-45! There was a US Army Air Corps! RIP charley Trippi!

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also the #1 pick in the NFL draft as I recall - one of five now after Travon Walker's selection.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I could re-live my four years in Athens, I'd make a point of meeting Charley Trippi in person. At the time I didn't appreciate just how great he was. Same goes for Spec Towns.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Condolences to the family and friends. May he rest in peace!

And just for him...

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep you are correct. USAF did not begin on its own until 1947. That’s the same year that all the service branches began using a consolidated separation document for enlisted persons the DDForm214 where as before the service branches had their own individual separation documents. Just some military trivia !!

• Options

My sincere condolences to his family. May he Rest In Peace. He did indeed accomplish Much in his life time. And will go down in history as a great Dawg.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2022

What a great Bulldog and person. Amazing what he accomplished AND served his county!! Actually, I bet if you could ask him, serving his county would probably be the thing is he was most proud of. How many of the present day athletes could be as great as he was? RIP Charlie, we love you and your family.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DGD……RIP Charley.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

RIP Charley!

what a great, long life! 100 years as a DGD.

Thats amazing.

Be at peace and enjoy Heaven!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your time on this earth was not wasted Mr. Trippi. May we all aspire to such greatness.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somehow the word legend seems far too small for Charlie Trippi.

RIP, sir.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow 100! Still hunkering down til the end. Well done sir!

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Drove him and his lovely wife home a few years ago . He invited me in to see his rose bowl trophy . As I was admiring it I turned a saw a bust which was his NFL HOF bust . He was more proud of the rose bowl MVP than anything . He also told me after he signed with Georgia he had to go to a small school in NY and beef up . After that he said a lot of schools wanted him but he gave his word to Georgia and he was standing by it . He came back to Georgia and all he had was his Coca Cola uniforms when he got to Athens . We talked for quite some time . Not just a DGD but a great human being .

• Options

Wow !! That’s time spent with a Great Man and Great DGD that I’m sure you will cherish the rest of your life. I’d have loved to sit down with Mr. Trippi and just listened to him if only for a little while. He was/is a Great Man from a generation of Great Men !!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RIP DGD/DGMan. Thankfully he got to experience the '21 championship season before passing.