Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football instant observations as Bulldogs best Florida, even with sub-par third quarter

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football instant observations as Bulldogs best Florida, even with sub-par third quarter

Jacksonville, Fla., —. Weird things tend to happen when Georgia and Florida play in Jacksonville. That was the case once again on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I celebrate the win....but.....you won't do this against Tennessee..no 3rd qtr pitfalls. Had Bowers not caught that bouncing pass it would have been tied at one point! Georgia finally stopped shooting itself in the foot, and gave us their usual finale and the runaway win. Nolan Smith out...Mims...out...others.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Connor, I see you are being nice by calling it "sub-par"

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with your comments here by and large. And you Did mention the drops. Those might have made Stets performance look worse. Darnell W. dropped 3 that Stets put right on him and two others were catchable. So though Yes Stets could have done better to be fair in totality those drops made him look worse. Though it could be said Bowers catches made him look better !! Bowers, Wow what a player !!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

@navydawg....yes, those drops didn't help Stet, but in general we've seen this many times before. Stet is simply not very good or accurate beyond 10-15 yards. Like I said before in another post, it's a 50-50 ball. I cringe and cross my fingers when he throws any intermediate or long passes. It's not just inaccuracies but also poor decision making and passes that should have never been thrown. We've discussed this ad nauseum since last season. Nothing has changed honestly.

And the thing is these bad decisions and poor throws were not with him under pressure. For the most part, he had plenty of time to throw today...pressure free.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bowers is money. Simple as that. This is supposed to be a rebuilding year, right. This defense will be scary good next year. Carson Beck and the offense should hum along even better. Robinson is a beast. For this year, Kirby will ride with SB3. That may or may not excite anyone, but that's the way it is. Beat Tennessee next week and the wind is in our sails. But I'm going to say our secondary scares me. Ringo was beat today and arm tackles like a freshman. Maybe it's me, but he seems to be going at half speed. If Nolan Smith is out...well I don't want to think about that hole against the Vols.

Winner take all game next week. This one is more important than the SEC Championship IMO. That's my stream of consciousness for today. Time for a drink. (I'm in AZ, so it's just about 5.)

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Anyone else tired of watching SBIV throw behind (when he isn't overthrowing) his receivers? He is the exact same guy as last year.....only worse. Because he hasn't improved seemingly anything over last season. Inaccurate. Sometimes recklessly forcing the ball. Unaware of his progressions. Unable to throw over the middle. This D isn't good enough to carry SBIV to another championship. This team has not looked like an SEC championship caliber team. Most of that is on the QB.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

how is Brock Bowers not considered one of the best all around players in football?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First off, he is. I guess you mean "why isn't he a leading Heisman candidate." Simple: because he has 31 catches for 547 yards and 3 TDs. Prior to this game, he wasn't even in the top 10 in SEC in receiving yards, and even now he likely isn't in the top 7. More context: Ohio State has 2 guys with more (Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka) alone. Among TEs, Notre Dame's Michael Mayer has 47/580/6. Bowers and Washington may be the 2 best TEs in the country - though Washington will need to drop fewer passes to make a better case - but they just aren't putting up the numbers they need to get the sort of acclaim that Kyle Pitts got because the offense that they are playing in won't let them.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can understand your frustration @UGADad20. We’re constantly reminded (especially last season when JTB was still here) that his running ability is what sets him apart from those that are better passers. I don’t remember seeing one running play called for SB IV tonight. It would be a significant advantage for the Dawgs Offense if the opposing defense had to plan for him to possibly run with it, as he did a couple weeks ago for a 64 yard TD. I get it, he’s the starting QB and I believe we can win with him. The Dawgs have proven that they can win with him as the starting QB. But I also believe he’s a more effective QB when he’s a real threat to run it. I would rather see him try to run it than these poorly thrown balls that we saw tonight! GO DAWGS!

RIPCVD

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I cannot agree that the SEC title game is unimportant. Losing the SEC title game means at best a #3 seed. UGA is an outstanding team, but without the dominant front 7 that masks flaws. Where last year Alabama needed an offense loaded with future NFL starters (QB Young, RT Latham, LT Neal, WR Williams, WR Metchie, even RB Robinson is now starting for the Redskins) to compete with that front 7, it is now possible for a team with lesser talent to gameplan UGA.

Also, the playoff committee would avoid a rematch in the first round. Meaning that if Georgia loses the SEC title game, they play Ohio State. That is the worst possible matchup for UGA. Their OL is good enough to block UGA's front seven even if Jalen Carter plays. While CJ Stroud is a pass first and second QB, he is actually very mobile and can avoid blitzes and other pressure. Assuming Smith-Njiba is finally healthy Ohio State will be able to throw three WRs good enough to get drafted in the first 2 rounds at the UGA secondary. And Ryan Day will have a month to prepare.

Trust me. UGA wants to win in Atlanta and grab the #1 or #2 seed. That will allow them to thrash Clemson (or TCU) in the first round and then play the winner of the Ohio State-Tennessee/Alabama game with the opponent beaten up and having only a week to prepare.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Next week is absolutely more important than the SEC Championship because if we lose it, we aren't playing in Atlanta.

If we win out, regardless of what happens, we make the playoffs which gives you a chance.

• Options

No sarcasm and absolutely no disrespect to Any Dawgs fan. But I have what I believe are legitimate questions. After all I am a qualified recliner Coach 😀. SO on the question of Why does Kirby play Stets over his other QBs IF Stets is Not his best option. Is Kirby ignorant ?? Has Coach Monken advised Kirby that they should go with another QB over Stets ?? BOTH have Stated in the media Many times that they have Confidence in Stets. You could probably find that in old media here. So are Both Coaches deliberately blind ?? OR based on practices and in game experience they Honestly believe that Stets gives the Dawgs the best chance to win ?? Let me say Very Clearly and most Profoundly I find myself Very frustrated on Many occasions with Stets and Many of his plays. I Also find myself Very Frustrated with Coach Monken and his play calling Many times. I catch myself Asking Why is Kirby sticking with Stets ?? YET here we are 8-0. And in an Entire Season and 8 games into This one the Dawgs have only lost One game that being last seasons SECCG. And I think any Dawgs fan that’s Trying to be Fair and Reasonable would have to say that the Vaunted Defense of last year was Just As responsible for that loss as Stets, Coach Monken, or Kirby. SO where does that leave me as a Devout Dawgs fan and qualified recliner Coach ?? It leaves me in the Exact Same position as last year !! And that is Having To and Needing To Trust in Kirby Smart and Coach Monken that they know what their doing by keeping Stets as the starter. The Irony is that last year after Stets became the Starting QB with every new rival game our Dawgs were about to play numerous fans would come to This site and proclaim We WILL lose This game if Stetson Bennett is the QB. And usually followed by We’ll NEVER win a Ntl. Title with Stetson Bennett as QB. Well we all know what happened. Now these things said we Might lose to TN next weekend. I honestly don’t know. I Certainly Hope Not. Or we might beat them Only to lose the next Sat. Again I honestly don’t know. Or we just Might run the table, go to the SECCG Win, go to the playoffs Win, then go to the National Championship and bring home the Second Ntl. Title in the Kirby Smart era. So as Frustrated as I get being a qualified recliner Coach, I have to Believe and Trust that Kirby Smart and Coach Monken know something that I Don’t know. Stats ?? I could care less about em as long as our beloved Dawgs keep chalking the Most Important Stat of all and that’s the Beautiful W’s !! SO if Kirby and Coach Monken believe that Stets is the best way to get that done, as frustrated and nail biting as I get sometimes, I’m Cool with it !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry, but I've seen enough of #84. He needs to hit the juggs machine and ride the bench for a few weeks.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we all know that Smart will say that Bennett needs to get better... But come on. We are 8 games in and he's down to his last college games.

The mental errors are now concerning enough to where I'm not sure he should start. He should've had around 5 INTs and made poor decisions. Our run game saved our butts this time.

• Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

Watching our next opponent now (announcer just said, I swear, as I type, "Kirby Smart, are you watching?") We are going to need more offense next week..

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UT has intercepted UK’s QB 3 times already and he is a first round QB draft prospect by almost all major outlets and he’s 6 inches taller than Bennett…

SB and our Dawgs will be in deep trouble if his glaring inaccuracy throwing the football this season pops up again. UT defense with Flowers is not playing like a 103rd ranked pass defense. They clearly have gotten much better thru week 8 of the season while our QB SB has, well, you judge for yourself.

Has there been some drops? Sure. But there has been much more high, low, behind, and flat out terrible throws than there have been drops. Those are just the facts so please spare me the excuses.

No way on earth will Georgia be able to overcome 2 or more turnovers in our own territory against an offense ranked number one and a QB that has thrown 5 times as many TD passes as the UF QB. That will be a recipe for disaster. I pray that SB pulls a miracle off and makes better decisions with the football and can complete balls down the field next week, but I am definitely concerned after watching his sub-58% completions the last 5 weeks.

Bowers and Big 0 are going to be double teamed or bracketed the entire game if I had to bet, and that could lead to trouble if Bennet is sailing his throws or inaccurate again.

• Options

I won’t be able to attend the game next Sat. but I have a Bug favor to ask of my fellow Dawgs fans. Please show those Orange Folks this ain’t Neyland Stadium at night !! No it’s Sanford Stadium and DOOLEY Field and for you Orange Folks it’s gonna be a House Of Horrors !! Please rock Sanford Stadium like never before !! In Memory Of Coach Vince Dooley !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

I don’t mind the down vote on my question and comments, as they don’t add to or take away from my finances. But like it or not my questions there are legitimate. Anybody can click on a little down vote button that doesn’t take any thought or courage. But my primary questions remain, IF Stets is Not the best option at QB Why do Kirby and Coach Monken stick with him ?? Do those two High profile, Highly Experienced, Highly Paid Coaches not know what their doing ?? BOTH have stated several times in the past that they have every confidence in Stets. So are they Both willing to sacrifice the entire season because their both to Proud to remove Stets ?? I’d honestly like to know others opinions. And just like I stated in My comments I To get Very frustrated with Stets at times, and with Kirby, and with Coach Monken’s play calling. BUT when it’s all said and done I figure they know waaaaay more than I do. And with all due respect and no sarcasm I figure they know waaaay more than most of if not all of you to. SO in the end it’s a matter of having faith in them. Could the Dawgs lose to TN or some other team with Stets at QB ?? Well sure of course they could !! But I figure that To Kirby & Coach Monken, They must honestly think Stets gives them the best opportunity to win. No need in being angry with Me, I’m just a fan, just like You are. So as frustrated as I get sometimes I decided a Long time ago to Trust in Kirby & Coach Monken’s decisions. Guess you gotta do what ever brings You pleasure and less mental stress. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs came out after half time and appeared to be “satisfied” throughout the third quarter. No championship team can afford to feel satisfied at this point in the season, not to mention in the third quarter of a huge rivalry game. Playing hungry is the key to success, and the Dawgs have to find a way remain hungry for success and to resist the “satisfaction” of playing really well in the first half. GO DAWGS!

RIPCVD