Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee defense identifies Georgia ‘Agent Zero’ among Bulldogs’ biggest offensive threats

SystemSystem Posts: 10,481 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageTennessee defense identifies Georgia ‘Agent Zero’ among Bulldogs’ biggest offensive threats

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Georgia fans have become accustomed to seeing this season’s playmakers produce over and over.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

GREAT article MG, I agree, I think the TEs will play a BIG, BIG role in this Saturday's game. There are just NO LBs on Tenn's team that can match up well with Bowers or Washington. I expect both to have a busy day - catching the ball and running over the defense. Heck Darnell, may even get some more hurdling reps on some of his plays! If either of these guys are doubled teamed by the Tenn D, then our WRs will get some one on one shots which should help them immensely. Tenn has a great offense, but their D is suspect. Georgia has a great D and a very good offense. I think the balance with Georgia will win the day. DAWGS by at least 14! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"He's one of the better QB's we'e seen this year. " And how many have they seen? Ball St., Pitt, Akron., AR-15? LSU and BAMA? So, he's one of the better ones. PRetty low brow compliment. Bulletin board material.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Something tells me that Kirby will try and rely on the run game as much as possible and setup passes to the TEs and hopefully RBs (like we did multiple times successfully against OR) out of the backfield as receivers. Stet had little pressure in his face against Florida and still managed poor throws and made bad decisions. I'm hoping Kirby lets him run the ball more and as much as I don't like to say it - keeps him from throwing too much downfield. One thing we can't afford is turnovers against the Vols. We need to stay within 1-2 scores of them for the entire game. I expect the Vols to score, but I'm hoping we can control the pace of the game and control the clock. Let's face it, the more we keep the ball out of Hooker's hands the better our chances are at winning.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Um… they saw Heisman boy… so how is this a ‘low brow compliment’?

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

How many times over the last few years has Tennessee won a high stakes game? Until the Vols, win a few big top ten games, I don't believe they all of a sudden became a power in the College Football world. Sure they beat Alabama for the first time in 15 yrs. or so, but Great teams win games like this most of the time. They have been layman at the best for 20yrs. Georgia on the other hand has played in big game after big game since 2017. Tennessee may win, but I am not buying the Kool-Aid as of yet. Prove It Big Orange! I am just saying it the way I see it! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    WesttndawgWesttndawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited November 2022

They will take the pass interference calls on Washington instead of letting him catch and run.

I say we do the same to their deep threat receiver.

• Options

Um… they saw Heisman boy… so how is this a ‘low brow compliment’?

Seriously? SB has better passing stats, other than TD throws) than every QB Tennessee has played, other then maybe Bryce Young. Who has a slightly higher "rate" than SB. SB averages more yards per game and has a slightly better completion percentage and yards per attempt then even Young.

Saying he is "one of the better ones" they have faced is a veiled dis. Like Kirby saying that about Hooker. If he had of. But CKS was effusive in his praise of Hooker.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is so much side banter on this generational tilt it is hard to imagine what will happen. Back stories and wild point diversity; college footballdom has supercharged UGA vs Tenn. to the point of all or nothing at all. I disagree with UGA at #3 but that is the perplexing CFP ranking bias we find against UGA. Same last season. UGA needs to stack up ranked wins like cordwood to hold on to a #1 ranking. The upshot is....will UGA's defense be able to hold TN's rampaging offense for 4 quarters? And, while doing that...be able to score sufficiently enough to win the scrum? Talk to me Saturday night....the mayhem will be ear shattering one way or the other. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Basic coach-speak. Everyone on UGA's team is great and can do unbelievable things on the football field. Whatever. I highly doubt UT is afraid of us. Heupel doesn't operate that way, even when he was the OU QB. He hides it well, but he's a very confident (cocky, even) coach. I think UT respects Georgia, but I believe they don't think ANYONE can stop their offense, including teams in the NFL. And who knows, perhaps they're right. We'll find out starting at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This game is a must win game for UGA to make the playoff. Everyone, O and D, will need to step up and be at their best to win this game against the #1 team in the country.

If UGA/SBIV start slow or is off, what does CKS do? Quick hook, slow hook, no hook? It IS must win time. I find it interesting that many think CBeck "is not ready" to play yet. CBeck and CJ Stroud were both QB's in the '20 class. CJ is about to win the Heisman and Beck "is not ready yet". I won't go into SBIV's (or Fromm's) progression while starting at QB. Does UGA have a QB coach? Mystery solved on UGA QB recruiting.

BTW I believe 5* CA QB JSayin announces tonight. Rumor has it AL.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

The template was established and demonstrated last session. We know how to beat Tennessee. The question is how will we execute?

Tennessee's coach is speaking coach-speak. He is also correct in what he says. We have very good players. Tennessee also has very good players. Where we have an edge is in overall team talent and depth. One can say their tempo negates our depth all day long but one could say the same thing last season and look at last season's score.

It all comes down to how we execute and how much we're able to hunker down. We might need the ghost of Erk Russell and his Junkyard Dawgs. Whatever it takes, Kirby & Company, plan to bring it.

Believe me I'm not discounting Tennessee. If they manage to get past us they have a good chance of running the table.

Certainly they can say the same about the Dawgs!

Some teams lose because of discipline issues. Tennessee seems very well coached. They may be very confident but they are not running their mouths. We're going to have to talk with our helmets.

(No, I don't mean targeting.)

We are also a very young team which many are neglecting. Fortunately Kirby is great at developing young players, but will they hunker down and execute well enough and soon enough. We simply don't know, but I'm with Larry. We have a fighting chance, but it's going to be very tough. For both teams this game will make or break the season.

I'm not using capital letters, but I'm already hoarse form yelling. This is such an exciting game.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vols beat Bama - with17 Bama turnovers and 2 Bama turnovers? Home field advantage. Am not sure I'd take that as a solid win or indicative of what they may do Saturday with a team that is one of the LEAST penalized teams in the nation and the team that has the home field advantage. This will be a good game but I'm not sure TN is as good as hyped.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Donnan said that Tenn hasn't faced an OL as good as ours and that he doesn't think we'll have a lot of plays for losses.

And may I add that keeping their potent offense, as you put it, off the field, is key to getting their Defense worn out by having long, successful drives ourselves.

Pitt had the most success against Tennessee of any team all season, and if Slovis (Pitt starting QB) hadn't been injured (he missed the whole 2nd half), that Pitt would have won. Pitt was a hostile environment (not as loud as Sanford should be) AND PItt blitzed the whole game...that's what UGA did last year against Tenn. Alabama did not blitz.

Tennessee has a schedule to keep so throwing them off schedule in terms of preventing yards per play is crucial.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our Dawgs have at least two advantages going into this game. 1) This ain’t Neyland Stadium on a Sat. night !! It’s Sanford Stadium and on Dooley Field !! Kirby has challenged the Dawg Faithful to show up HUGE !! And I’m Extremely Confident that they Will !! Might end up being the Largest and Loudest Bunch of Dawgs Ever to this point in history !! We shall see !! 2) As a Coach ( notice I didn’t even specify as a Head Coach) Heupel has never been on a stage the size that Kirby has Many times. The biggest stage that Heupel has ever been on was on Friendly Ground in Knoxville with Yes the win over Bama. So Yes he does deserve some credit for that and a measure of respect. But Kirby was the DC and correct me if I’m wrong on this part but sort of the #2 man on Saban’s staff when they won a couple of Nattys. As HC of UGA Kirby has won an SEC Title, 4 SECE Titles if I’m correct on that and of course a National Title. So as a Coach in general Heupel has never faced the level of pressure that Kirby has. I’m gonna throw in a #3 for good measure. Although Yes we do have key guys injured all football teams do it’s part of the game, the guys Kirby has were primarily 4 and 5 stars coming out of HS, we all know that Kirby and staff are pretty selective about recruiting guys that meet Team Needs by position. Now I’ll give Coach Heupel a little more credit he has done a Very good job coaching up the players he has. BUT so has Kirby. I Believe that as a whole the Dawgs have better depth than the Vols do. And I Believe that as the game goes on that Could well become a deciding factor in the Dawgs favor. Some will say But, But what about Bama they lost to these same Vols ?? Well frankly I don’t care about Bama, and certainly don’t have any sympathy for them. But you can’t have 17 penalties And turn the ball over twice like they did and hope to beat a team like the Vols in Their loud and raucous stadium. I don’t know what happened with Bama that night but it Was Not characteristic of a Normal Nick Saban Bama team. Especially the lack of on field discipline. 17 penalties ??!!?? You just Know that Kirby has studied that film With his coaching staff until his eyes have bugged out to see Why those break downs occurred and take the necessary steps to insure our Dawgs don’t make the same. Conclusion: it’s gonna be a Very Hard fought game with a close score but our Dawgs will chalk their 9th win on the season. And the Vols will give a very nice boost to the Dawgs resume !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll tell you what I think, UGA66.

I think, this is exactly the Game Kirby Smart and the entire coaching staff have been planning for, since he hired Todd Monkin. They're ready to take their place.

Tennessee has a high powered, quick-strike offense that operates out of the no-huddle. Saban identified it as an extremely effective offense, over 10 yrs ago. I believe it was after a Johnny Menzel-led Texas A&M team beat em at the fast paced game of football. LOL

Other conferences have been applying this method for decades, as a neutralizer to the talent-laden defenses of various big-time programs, such as UGA, OSU, OKLA, Alabama, Notre Dame and ironically Tennessee.

News Flash....Kirby, Muschamp, Shumann, Monkin, McClendon and Bobo have been quietly planning the demise of UT since the CFPCG final buzzer. Actually, Kirby's been planning for it, since LSU made em look silly in the 2019 SECG. The team didn't have a name, then. Only, a form and Kirby knew what it was going to take, to win against a team like the VOLS.

I think he's got UGA right where he wants em. If it wasn't Tennessee running that style offense, it could be somebody else...and that's the team, the UGA coaching staff has been working so hard to beat, since the '19 LSU game.

I believe they have arrived with the emergence of the UGA Power running game and we'll get to see all the pieces working together again, for the 1st time since the Oregon Game. No more reason to play possum or train.

BTW...Like UT, Oregon is perfect other than the UGA game and has scored more than 41 points in every game,, since Sep 03. Take UGA out of the equation and Oregon would be a top 4 team averaging around 45 pts/game...much like UT.. LOL. We beat them by 46...how much damage do you think we'll do to TENN?

Let's play ball!!

Prediction: UGA 54---UT 27 (or less)

• Options

Try that line on your GF or wife and see if she thinks it's a compliment or not. She's one of the "better" ones you've seen" out of 8 possibles. Especially when she's heads and shoulders better looking than all but perhaps one. LOL! You'll be sleeping on the couch.

One of the best he could have said, one of the better ones is not a great compliment. Just admit it.