Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Relaxed Josh Heupel familiar with Kirby Smart defenses, sees flexibility in current Georgia defense

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageRelaxed Josh Heupel familiar with Kirby Smart defenses, sees flexibility in current Georgia defense

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Josh Heupel is staying loose, to the extent the Tennessee head coach is taking the daunting challenge his team faces in stride.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The D Line has to get to the qb. Hurries and sacks. Go look at Spurrier's loss to Nebraska.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia is an 8 point favorite? Must be the home field advantage. If Georgia plays mistake free, they can beat the spread.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, the bookies see us as numero uno, and the CFP committee sees us as the number 3 team. Guess we'll see who is right.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The CFP committee was all about optics more than legitimate consideration of the teams.

• 1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

Tennessee has been an irrelevant afterthought for so long I had forgotten what miserable pricks their fans are. Luckily they are now reminding me. They have made, what should should have been just a great game, a quest to shut them up and send them on their way. Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've heard that home field advantage usually translates to about 3 points in the spread. From what I've heard about this game, the general public is all in on Tennessee, which is understandable considering the hype they've been getting. But the line hasn't moved much because Vegas isn't getting those bets from people whose assessments they trust. The people who make their living doing this are taking Georgia to win relatively comfortably, which is also understandable as there is a strong case to be made that Georgia is simply the better team.

As for the coverage, it's not just Griffith who is presenting this from the perspective of Georgia being the underdog. It's pretty much everywhere, at least in everything that I've watched, read and heard. Sure, there's the occasional "key matchups" sort of segment where the whole point is to discuss both teams' strengths and weaknesses. But I don't think I've seen a single segment anywhere dedicated to what Tennessee has to do to beat Georgia. They're the darlings. They've been so bad for so long that everyone is ready to see them finally do something. It began with the win over Alabama. The field was stormed, the goal posts were dumped. And in the public eye, the poignancy of the moment - its emotional significance to the Tennessee program - was wrongly equated to objective quality, and people never looked back.

Don't mistake what I say next for hubris. I know Tennessee is a dangerous team that absolutely can win this game. But it's gotten to the point where I have a hard time believing that they're as good as they're being made out to be. And I can't help but think, if the Dawgs do pull off the win, how good it's going to feel watching that disguise get ripped off like a Scooby-Doo villain.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All rankings but one have UGA #1...including Vegas with an 8-pt spread. CFP been sniffing glue again...or at least got it in their eyes.

Heupel knows he has to stunt the UGA defense. His pass defense is one of the worst in the league. Vols do have a strong passing offense when Hooker is in top form. Their RBs are also pretty good. Smart know this team well. He and Monken will scheme accordingly. No worries. Player for player, UGA has the decided edge on talent. With Carter disrupting things, the Vols will have their hands full all afternoon. Add AD Mitchell to the receiving corps and UGA should be able to take the measure of this loud-mouth TN bunch.

I expect UGA fans to hit noise decibels heretofore unheard. GO DAWGS!!!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

NOT trying to bash on you Mike but I think that maybe the title should have had the word SOME preceding the word Success, as correct me if I’m wrong all 3 of the games cited in the article were a Loss for Heupel as a Coach, correct ?? Look Coach Heupel has done a great job coaching up the players he has at TN. There’s no denying that, and he in my humble opinion deserves a measure of credit and respect even from staunch rivals like us Dawg fans. BUT if a neutral party looks at resume vs. resume, then Kirby Smart most decidedly has the better College Football Coaching resume. Now this said Coach Heupel has done very well recruiting since he’s been at TN, and will probably do even better in years to come. So he deserves a measure of credit and respect from that aspect as well. BUT and Again Kirby has the better of the two over all with regard to recruiting as well. AND this won’t be the Vols playing in a highly energized, Loud, Raucous, light show & music blaring Neyland Stadium on a wild Saturday night either !! This will be in Athens, in Sanford Stadium, on Dooley Field, with thousands of rather ticked off Dawgs fans. The Vols will be playing a Dawgs team that is loaded with Bulletin Board Material and carrying a Huge Boulder on their shoulder to Prove themselves. Since the Vols got the W at home on a very uncharacteristically undisciplined Bama team under the lights with the music blaring and a Loud & Proud HOME Crowd, many of the “experts” and media folks have made it sound like the Dawgs should just go ahead and concede the game !! Ain’t gonna happen !! On the contrary the Dawgs are gonna come out gnashing the teeth like a Rabid Dawg anxious to Prove themselves. And Yes even though both Mr. Charlie Trippi and Coach Dooley were at UGA in an active capacity long before these kids were born, they Do Know who those great men were and the legacy and honor they Still bring to UGA. So I’m confident much more pride will be on the line for the Dawgs than the Vols. Lastly from a technical standpoint, everyone knows or should know that Kirby and his coaches have watched film of the Vols vs. Bama game until their eyes are about ready to pop out to avoid making the same mistakes Bama made. Could our Dawgs lose to the Vols this Sat. ?? Well Sure of course they could . The Vols are indeed a very good team. Coach Heupel is obviously a very good Coach. But for people ( even a few of our own fans) to just write off the Dawgs before the first snap of the game is I Believe a Huge Mistake !! I think this is gonna be a Very Exciting game !! Very !! I think college football fans that are not even of the UGA or TN fan bases will enjoy this game. Nobody knows beyond the shadow of a doubt who will win. But I’m very confident that our Dawgs are not gonna take to the field Scared or Intimidated by the Vols !! Ain’t gonna happen. Respect for them, yeah probably. Afraid of them ?? No Way !! After the toughest game the Dawgs have or will play in regular season play in a very close scoring game, perhaps only by a FG, I Believe our Dawgs prevail and get the W in a hard fought battle !! Go Dawgs !!