Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawgs talking investments

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: #1 Hillbillies vs. #3 Dawgs - 3 Bold Predictions and a Score.

Comments

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the smell of the paper. I used to get Barron's delivered until they took away some of their charts and tables.

Reading on an iPad just isn't the same...when I find a good stock or fund, I like to hear the sound of my red felt tip pen on the paper!

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

when I find a good stock or fund, I like to hear the sound of my red felt tip pen on the paper!

Feel free to share.

Just made a little on LPG.

I'm in mostly cash and UTWO...a 2 year treasury ETF I just found out about. It pays a monthly dividend.

I've done pretty well in oil and nat gas stocks. Devon Energy was down 13+% yesterday or day before...I had sold a bunch before that drop, and probly will buy more.

PXD - Pioneer Natural Resources pays close to a 10% yield, but it can be volatile with oil prices.

I think the market is headed lower as long as interest rates keep going up and the yield curve is inverted predicting a recession.

Of course, the market could rally is the GOP takes Congress - which I think has fueled the last week or so's rally.

Sorry for being off topic...

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Im a long term investor. Still young enough the money wont be needed for some time.

Wish I had put everything in an Energy ETF back in Jan. Could have made around 50% on that money.

If I was closer to retirement would be really nervous about things but Im looking at where are we in 2035-2040.

Best scenario for me personally is things get cheaper the next few years followed by another boom we saw from 2010 till just recently. Cant tell when the next leg up will come but I want to have as much skin in the game when it inevitably does.

Made a bunch with WMB as well. Anything energy has been solid gold this year.

Ha ha! Some are good, some not so much...you just hope the good ones outnumber the bad ones.

Thanks for the LPG tip. I've stayed out of transportation stocks because of a slowdown, but LPG has been an outperformer.

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off topic:

Is Barron's worth it? I have WSJ and have strongly been considering getting Barron's for the longer analysis. Just not sure if it's "good" or not

What I really liked were the stock charts that I could photocopy and markup...they took those away several years ago and I started trying to print out from various sites.

I liked Barron's because I don't have time to read the WSJ every day.

I've been meaning to give Investors Business Daily another try...first time subscribers can usually get a very good deal!

• PedroPedro Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The FT is my favorite. Plus if you get the paper version it is like this weird orangish pink. The color by itself let’s everyone around know how smart you are.