Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CBS analyst: Tennessee would win rematch with Georgia at neutral site

Comments

• Options
    UGADawg44UGADawg44 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Hey, Coach, did you watch the game? UT scored their only TD in garbage time against the second and third string. UT had their chance to prove it on the field and got absolutely dominated in all phases of the game. CKS could have made that score 50-6 but chose to play for the future instead of “pretty points.” Just like Bo Nix and Oregon could beat UGA now. Well, Bo, try taking care of Washington first. UGA has dispatched every regular season opponent for almost two years now. That’s not a fluke. What happens on the field is what matters and not the rambling rants of a many years removed Coach.

I absolutely agree with loranwhaddaygot - this is how a great team continues to be great. CKS seizes the opportunity to get the backups valuable game experience. How many backups, and I mean the guys that don’t normally rotate, can say they got snaps against the #1 team? Invaluable!

Go Dawgs! Bring on the kittens!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just more fuel for the fire. Keep it coming.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Those things he mentioned, I'm not that worried. But to beat the same team the 2nd time in a season is always much more difficult. I'm more worried about those 3 times the Tennessee players got behind our defense. We have to eliminate those the 2nd time.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree because when UGA lost to Alabama in the SECCG, I told my friends there’s no way they were losing to Alabama twice. And they won the NC. Let’s just play it week by week and hopefully UGA stays focus and get the job done. Be nice for back2back celebrations!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What he failed to say was that the Dawgs offense was dismembering the vols and w/o sloppy turnovers that could have been a 30+ game. Dawgs scored at will. Rewatching the game there was only 1 realistic complaint of an incomplete down field pass by Tenn. the other 2 I have heard people talk about would have had to be perfection and which doesn’t happen often let alone when you are getting hit on 50% of your drop backs. Rematch Dawgs would win by 20+

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nah. The crowd noise isn't why Tennessee crumbled to Georgia's physicality. And the crowd noise isn't why UGA's DBs were able to cover Tennessee's WRs man to man.

1. Georgia wins every matchup due to better talent.
    2. Tennessee's Big 12 style scheme doesn't work in the SEC.

Tennessee had their fun but they benefited from a down year in the SEC. The Saban thing at Alabama has just about run its course. Auburn and Texas A&M are messes. Arkansas, LSU, South Carolina and Florida all have recent coaching hires and are rebuilding. Next year would have been ideal for the Vols because UGA will lose Carter, Beal, both Smiths and Ringo from the defense as well as Bennett and Washington from the offense. Unfortunately, the Vols will lose Hooker, both WRs and their OL. They are going to take the same year 3 dip that UGA did with Smart. Year 4 will be no relief because even if Alabama is done, not only will Florida and LSU be ready for their runs but Georgia will have reloaded. Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC that year too, and Arch Manning will be playing.

This year was Tennessee's best shot and they didn't get it done. If they want to be a real contender for the long haul in the SEC, they need to ditch that offense. The spread didn't do anything for Texas A&M or Auburn in the SEC - just the flash in the pan Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton and Nick Marshall seasons - and Tennessee won't be able to maintain anything with it either.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It comes down to better players better coaches better football team

• Options
    Davedawg96Davedawg96 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

It would be great to face Tennessee again when we’re healthy and not battling the flu. It’d also be nice to face them indoors or in dry weather, because the rain really slowed down our offense in the second half. (They didn’t score much in the dry first half and we did, so isn’t it foolish to say that the second half rain shut down THEIR offense?) Lastly, the reason why the UGA-Bama series last year was so even is because we recruit at the same level and have similar depth. A rematch with Tennessee isn’t the same thing - we’ll still be much more talented and deeper, and the end result isn’t going to change too much. And if one of their few star players gets hurt, that’s it for them, no next man up like it is for UGA and Bama.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sooooooo..... can someone explain the last 3 in Knoxville, the largest stadium in the galaxy where they play the most obnoxious song ever written? Or the last 5 out of 6 in that massive orange laden environment? Are those folks sitting on their hands with their mouths taped shut?

Be serious.

• Options
    NJEricNJEric Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Uh huh. So Tennessee is going to make all kind of adjustments, but Georgia will just repeat itself? Tennessee will get healthy, but not Georgia? No weight to the fact that Georgia is dominant against everybody and adjusts their game plans weekly? No weight to the fact that Georgia stopped Tennessee in its tracks for a whole game, and that wasn't just a matter of penalties. It was defensive pressure and tight coverage and a roaring offense!! But this is all imaginary. I think it is doubtful, should Tennessee be 3rd, that Tennessee will beat Ohio State and even get to play again against Georgia!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. Ohio State is basically Tennessee except with 4 and 5 star recruits. When Jaxon Smith-Njiba is playing, Ohio State is the clear #2 team in the country who would beat Georgia on a neutral field 2 games out of 5 (hopefully when UGA gets them in the playoffs they will hit one of the other 3).

And I don't see it getting better. Even in year 3 during their best season since 2001 - when Nick Saban ended the Phil Fulmer era and started his own by knocking the Vols out of the title game in Atlanta - Tennessee has the #11 recruiting class. Ohio State is #2 by the way. The Vols should enjoy their 11-1 regular season because unless by some chance they draw TCU or USC in the first round, they are going to lose in the playoff.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DIdn't we just shut down our pasing game when the rains came? "JUst run it guys, we're up by 3 scores?" I mean if we needed to have made it a true blow out, couldn't we have? I think so.

Some people just like to hear themselves talk.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next year, I hope we are all laughing about how difficult it is for them now that all of Jeremy Pruitt's recruits are gone.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just get use to the fact that almost every game we play the "analysts/critics" question the Dawgs. Last year we were put on notice just about every game that our opponents were improved and we were overrated, yet every game we blew everyone out with the one exception of the SECCG and the NCG against Alabama. They were the only team that could play with us last year.

This year, just more of the same. I'm used to it, and the motivation it gives the Dawgs is priceless....

• Options
    adawgadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman
    edited November 2022

Why do people say that? Even if it was bc of the crowd, then do people not realize that a rematch could very well take place in Atl.? It likely would.

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Send him a cigar for providing bulletin board material if that match up ever materializes.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I'm going to urge all the Dawg fans to do what I did: take a deep breath and re-read the story. Although Mike's headline says that Neuheisel said the Vols would win a rematch, nowhere in the actual story does Mike quote Neuheisel as actually saying that.

Neuheisel says that UT will get its communication issues fixed because crowd noise probably won't be as much of a factor at a neutral site. He said he "saw opportunities for improvement." He even said he couldn't "wait to watch" a rematch.

But nowhere in this article does he say, outright, that Tennessee would win a rematch. In fact, he is quoted as saying that UGA "deserved the victory" in the first game. That Neuheisel would say, or honestly believe, that a second game would be more competitive, is not an unreasonable thought. The game might be closer. Or it might not. But he just never said what Griffin says he said, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Mike knows that and intentionally wrote that misleading headline just to get the response that he has from most Dawg fans!