Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs’ historic run not derailed by another slow start

SystemSystem Posts: 7,419 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageDawgs’ historic run not derailed by another slow start

Kirby Smart thought his Dawgs “answered the bell in the second half” Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These are indeed the glory days.

It's also true we need to improve. We all know it.

Kirby & Company seek constant improvement and never settle for anything less than perfection which doesn't exist. These Dawg seem to play better in big games and against better opponents. LSU will test that observation of course.

We're far from perfect, but, at 12-0, we'll all take it. Glory days!

When watching other teams play on television the nation notices how many of the better players transferred from Georgia. It's not just that we lost a ton of stars to the pros. Rather amazing what Kirby's accomplished. Our football program is very sound.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend. He sounds like someone we'd all have liked to have as a friend.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

It has to be tough for Monken to game plan week after week thinking about trying not to show everything for future games. I’m thinking we’ll see some new stuff after the LSU game.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

The Good:

second half defense physicality and play

Pod’s consistency and excellence in not taking any plays off

Punters average distance

McIntosh was truly amazing in all aspects

Offensive line pass-pro

#19 & #0 hands

The Bad:

Clearly sleep walking first half

Monken’s play selection for the 3rd game in a row and 5th this season

Since you mentioned a mop-up player that came in up 30 “didn’t have a great day”, then I feel it’s only fair to mention SB most certainly didn’t, either. He airmailed a wide-open DW0 with absolutely no pressure in QTR1, then horribly threw a back shoulder pass to a wide open WR RJ in the end zone on 1st and goal from the 4, and the throw to Superman #19 with no one in his face and all the time in the world when he was wide open was putrid. That was 99.999% Bowers for that TD and 0.0001 for SB. SB had all day to throw, took zero sacks, and his completion % was pretty poor at 56%. The weather was fantastic and I shudder to think if it was down-pouring rain like was forecasted for 5 days after the Kentucky game and miraculously changed by Friday morning.

The refs- holy bejesus that was ridiculous. Completely eliminate the Arian Smith call in the end zone, there were an additional 3 penalties and 2 reviews that were beyond atrocious and not even close to “borderline” judgment calls-they were plain wrong. I had flashback nightmares at least three times while watching the game from the 2nd half of the 2017 game in Atlanta against Alabama and the ineptitude of the referees and replay official.

#5 Ringo in the entire first half. Seriously, what was that!?!?! He had one DPI penalty(of course on a third down and 12) and he missed 3 tackles and completely gave up on a 4th tackle. I didn’t see him play as poorly in the second half and I know he’s an Arizona raised stud so he may not understand the rivalry, but that kind of stuff has to stop. That’s not all-America or all-SEC behavior and I know I am not the only die-hard Dawg fan and supporter that saw it like that in the first half. Coach Smart better nip that in the bud real quick or it could cost his team over the next 5 weeks.

The announcers got on my nerves a bit with them playing up Tech and the constant over-emphasis of every mistake Georgia made in the first half.

RIP to your friend Slick. I too am a born and bred product of Dekalb county and after reaching adulthood I did not settle in the Peach state since. My Dawg roots and fandom are 100% owed to growing up in that area and am sad to hear that we lost another DGD fan.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So sorry about your good friend Bill. Condolences to you and your family...

"Among the aspects of the game that need work: short-yardage scores in the Red Zone, with more creative play-calling; defending swing passes and screen passes; and eliminating missed tackles."

You hit the nail on the head! Hopefully, we can put together a much better and more focused game plan against the Bayou Bengals.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really appreciate the reminder to soak it all in. As I’ve said before, this team has gotten to the spot we all felt they would get to but in a different fashion. Not sure anyone would believe it was the defense that remained the anchor for this team and yet here we are. So much fun, and yes I’m guilty of taking it all too seriously, so taking a moment to soak it in, is so true.

One element that was so bad was the officiating. Again, I’m biased but this was comical at times. Aiding a runner?! Are you kidding me?! Late hit around the pile while jumping on is allowed?! Officiating was an official clown show and hopefully UGA gets better in Atlanta. Go DAWGS.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you don’t mind I’m gonna clone your comments Lol !! You are spot on on Everything !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill my sincere prayers and condolences for you on the passing of your good friend. I know how that feels. May the Lord give You, his Family, and other Friends, HIS special peace that surpasses all human understanding.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill, I would have really liked to make this private but do not know how to contact you. I knew John even before UGA, I was raised in DeKalb. But we got closer in Athens. I remember he called everyone "Slick" I even started to do so for awhile.

. I lost touch after school. The Army, a family, I have lost touch with so many. Thanks for the sad news, John will be remembered by me as one of the best to be with while watching UGA from the student section. God Bless him and his family.

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Bill,

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

On the topic of your article and the game, the pictures accompanying this are outstanding. They capture some of the major plays in the game and are of excellent quality. They are a great complement to your writing!