Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not see Bama making it. USC, yes. OSU..possibly. They looked weak against a much stronger, more physical Michigan team. I was stunned. Looking back at the game, OSU was out played and out coached. OSU Coach Ryan Day was devastated during post game presser. He had no answer for the loss. Second (consecutive) time Mich. has beaten them.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Of course Connor had to get a plug for playoff expansion in there. And it was a typically weak argument at that.

First of all, Georgia does still have something to play for. Their next game is for a conference championship. But even if we're pretending, for some reason, that those don't matter anymore, playoff seeding still does. Do you think Georgia would rather play their semi-final against the 4 seed in Atlanta, or against the 1, 2 or 3 seed in Glendale, Arizona?

Secondly, the argument completely ignores everything that Georgia has done throughout the regular season to get to this point - how much lower the stakes would have been every step of the way with an expanded playoff - and ignores everything that has happened around the country throughout the season to get to a point where the top 4 teams are still being sorted out in the final week.

Look, I know expansion is inevitable. But the flailing and ineffectual attempts to justify it just keep piling up, and I think that's worth noting.

*Just to clarify, I know the article more or less acknowledged my first points, though not in the context of playoff expansion. I was referring to the pro-expansion tweet he included in the article.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Regardless of what transpired this weekend in college football. Alabama nor Tennessee should be in the college football playoffs. Why should they benefit from the other team's misfortune? Georgia lost to Bama in the 2018 SEC championship game and by far was one of the best teams in the country but did not make the playoffs because of the loss. Alabama nor Tennessee is playing in the SEC Championship game this year and their opportunities to put themselves in the position to do so, but did not cash in. How can a team be rewarded for not playing in the league championship game? The teams that do is not.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nicely done.

Expanding to a 12 team playoff is a bad plan. This season we're having a hard time filling the #4 slot in a four team playoff. Imagine who'd be playing this season in a 12 team playoff.

Go, Dawgs!

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What if it was six teams, 1&2 get a bye, 4vs6 and 3vs5 after selection Sunday. Man, what a double header heading into Christmas!

• Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

One would imagine that an article with the title "Social media speculates about College Football Playoff picture as Georgia football caps unbeaten regular season

" would have included at least one social media post that did just that.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did anyone else see where SBIV has petitioned the NCAA for another year of eligibility?

But it is not 6. It is 12. Early round slaughters and teams going into the final 4 with star players hurt in the preliminaries. Money grab.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's why it should be six not 12. Number 3 and 5 would get a campus valuable home game right at Christmas break and the Semifinals on New Year's eve/day would remain unchanged. There are not 12 teams worthy but, the money grab you mentioned is the Golden Ticket. Kinda sad really.

edited November 2022

6 gives an unfair advantage to #'s 1 and 2 by giving them byes. It should be 8. But an extra round of games will make millions of dollars. Money grabbers don't care if it gives teams an advantage, is unfair or produces blowouts. That is too much money to leave on the table.

I don't like giving the best teams byes. They are talking about giving the top 4 conference champions byes and ranking them 1-4. . That may not even be ranking the top 4 teams correctly. Clusterflop money grab.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If this plays out as planned-We have a good shot at " Back to Back" Natty's

1. Georgia
    2. 2. Michigan
    3. 3. TCU
    4. 4. USC

Georgia beats USC by 10-14 and TCU beats an over-rated Michigan by 3-4. Georgia over TCU by 14-21 as TCU's luck has run out.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That is also why I don't like a 12 team playoff. The top 4 will all get a bye. It will almost always be the same 9 every year, earned it or not, and maybe 3 that get switched up from year to year. Most people are probably in agreement that bama DOES NOT deserve to be in it. But everyone will see exactly what the committee wants by where they put them. If they come out at 5, they are 1 loss by a championship game team from making it in.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree...BAMA should not be in as it stands, right now.

But, what if TCU & USC Lose? As I suspect, they will. Then, what? You can't "NOT CONSIDER" BAMA...or, even Tennesse at that point.

This is how I think it will play out...TCU & USC lose.

1....UGA

2....MICH

3....OSU

4....BAMA/TENN (pick em)

Nobody else would deserve more consideration, based SOS/SOR, head-to-heads and common opponents. In addition to overall and Conference records. Just my opinion.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BTW...I don't think a loss, by either UGA or Michigan, will result in the elimination of those 2 teams.