Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart comments on AD Mitchell’s health, side-steps questions about looming transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,420 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart comments on AD Mitchell’s health, side-steps questions about looming transfer portal

It looks to be more of the same regarding AD Mitchell’s status ahead of the 2022 SEC Championship Game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

My thoughts on the College Football Playoff expansion is that 12 teams are too many. It has always been about the top 7 or 8 teams. Like this last CFP ranking, the only discussions were about teams ranked in the 5th, 6th, and 7th spot possibly being in the playoff. Why not limit it to 7 with the number one team getting a bye? I am all for expansion because it keeps the teams playing extra games from being penalized for losing in the conference championships games. Those who don't, end up in the playoff without playing the extra game.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS downplaying AD's status to give the impression of status quo? Telling LSU he hasn't played because he really wasn't ready and not letting on that he may have a bigger role this week?? We will all learn something about CKS on saturday.

As for the TP. TP is open from 12/5/22 to 1/18/23. Well after the playoff concludes. No reason for any UGA players to enter the TP until after the season concludes UNLESS they are considering '22 as a redshirt season and don't want to play in 4 games.

• Options

12 is too many teams IMO. BUT 12 teams gives you and extra round of games ($$$) over 8 teams. 7 and a bye doesn't work. Must have an even number of teams.

You do bring up an interesting question. What happens to conference championship games? Teams playing in conference CG's have an extra game. And an extra opportunity for key players to get hurt that non-participants don't have to worry about. I guess that is why the committee thought the conference champions (well 4 anyway) should get a bye .

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. 12 IS to many. Based on what we’ve seen so far with the Committee trying to sort things out with only four, 8 teams would be a push for them to sort out !!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really feel for AD. This has been a very long season for the guy. Hopefully, we see him close to 100% by the playoffs.

• Options

Kudos to Kirby for staying focused on the task at hand which is playing LSU. The things of the TP will fall in place as they may. Even though he didn’t speak about it in public, I’m sure Kirby and staff are doing the best they can Without losing focus on this game with LSU to keep their fingers on the pulse of the TP. It sure would be nice, though Yes I know pretty deceptive, if AD could play and is as close as possible to 100% !! Those of you In The Know, does it normally take THIS long to get over that type of injury ?? I Knew it was a very slow healing type, but is this a little abnormal for This much time ??

• Options

Hey Montana is it normal for this type injury to take THIS long to heal ?? I Knew they were bad, and a lengthy healing process, but gosh he’s been pretty much out since Vandy !!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if AD is close to starting and just being held back so he can redshirt this year. That would be a logical reason to pull him just before a play last week. Does anyone know how many games he’s played this year? Do the playoffs count against your eligibility/redshirt? Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Good question. I’m not exactly sure. But it certainly sounds ready that that could be the reason.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Feel bad for AD. But are we forgetting Arian Smith? He was back v GaTech and made a circus catch in the end zone that was ultimately ruled OOB. He looked great. And has the speed to make any DB in the country back up a step.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

65 or whatever the number in the basketball tournament is too many as well. There are teams in that tournament who have a snowballs chance in Hades of winning even one game. Just earning the right to play one game is a “win” for the program. The university administrators who make up the CFP committee are well aware! Football will be no different.

To think the committee will pick the 12 “best”teams is a little naive. I expect there will be a formula with many variables to ensure that not only a three or four loss winner of a Power Five conference championship game will get in, but also multiple Group of Five conference champions.

I live in Mobile. Should South Alabama win the Sunbelt and earn a CFP spot, that would be a huge win for the program even after getting shellacked by a five seed. No different than Lipscomb getting beat by 50 in the first round of the BB tournament by Kentucky.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can’t AD take a medical redshirt at this point still if he wanted another year?

• Options

Excellent comment on your part !! And Very True !! Let’s hope Arian has the best games plural of his career going forward !! He IS blazing fast and if he gets behind the secondary he can give them fits !! Go Dawgs !! Go Arian !!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Or just a regular redshirt should suffice. I think he’s only played in 2 games so he could likely play in the championship series and still not lose a year of eligibility. I vote to hold him out this week and get him 100% for the playoffs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Wishful thinking to think AD will spend 3 more seasons in Athens. He is draft eligible next draft (April '23). I thought he would go pro after this season if he had the year everyone expected. I could see him coming back for 1 more season because of the time he has missed this season due to injury. .

I don't think CKS would put this playoff run at risk to save a redshirt for AD if he were healthy.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes 12 is too many but the issue is with the conferences...the SEC won't accept anything less than 4 at large entrants (because they believe, correctly, that they will benefit from that) and the other conferences insist on automatic entry for conference champions. The math just doesn't add up.