Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football-LSU instant observations as Bulldogs come out on top in 2022 SEC Championship

2»

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"turning what looked to be a close game into a route."

1. The game was never close.
    2. rout. Not route.
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

I am being honest. When I looked at UGA's schedule preseason, I didn't see anyone that could match UGA's talent level. I didn't see any team whose OL could stand up to UGA's defensive front 7. I didn't see anyone whose defense could do anything against UGA's OL. I was 100% absolutely certain that the SEC title game was going to be a matchup of undefeated Alabama and UGA teams.

What happened? Alabama turned out to be poorly coached by a staff that refused to abandon its spread/wco hybrid offense or its 3-4 defense. As for UGA, they went 12-0 but not the way that I expected. I honestly expected McIntosh, Milton and Edwards to have the best rushing attack since Swift and Holyfield's combined 2070 yards in 2018, and not for the offense to be driven by Bennett's 3400 passing yards (though they DID have about 2700 rushing yards shared among a bunch of guys).

And the SEC turned out to be even weaker than I thought. Yes Tennessee and LSU were better. But Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas and the prior mentioned Alabama took huge steps back. Florida and Missouri finished with the same record as last year. Mississippi State and South Carolina were "better" but still not very good. And Texas A&M had their worst season since the Gators' last title. Not gonna lie, as the Big 10 had Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State teams who only lost to each other AND beat everybody else up, if someone wants to call them the best conference this year I won't argue, even if UGA is clearly the best team regardless of their conference being down (which was the case with Clemson being the best team in college football in 2018 even though the ACC was terrible).

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

It is coaching. Rule 1 of defensive back 101 is don't let the wr catch the ball. Break up the pass. Deflect the ball or hit the wr and separate the ball from the wr. Rule #1 is not "try to intercept" the ball. UGA DB's haven't figured that out yet this year.

It has been an ongoing problem. Ringo and Starks today. Tyson Campbell did the same thing in the '19 SECCG vs LSU/Chase(?). AND remember the Miracle at Jordan Hare?

MStarks has played a whole season but playing S like a newly converted HS QB. That's coaching. Too anxious to wear the TO shoulder pads.

OSU will present a problem. All the wr's are fast. Not big (slow) guys like TN's Cedric Tillman that Ringo shadowed the whole game.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK. You were honest. Thank You !! I thought that the Dawgs would sort of swap sides of the ball. Meaning I thought the Offense would be Awesome but the Defense would be pretty decent but not earth shaking. Now to be fully honest, the Offense has had times where they Have been Awesome, But times where they get bogged down and stay that way for a while. Contributing to the aging of devout Dawgs fans like me !! The Defense has had times where they have been significantly better than just pretty decent, But they to have had times where they look only so-so even Bad at times. Special Teams as a whole body of work have been pretty good. The weird thing and the thing that has saved this team has been when one unit is not doing well the other seems to ramp up their play. And it Seems by all appearances if the Dawgs think they are superior to another team they wrongly think they can play goof ball and Still win. It’s like they have to get angry before they really put Total effort in the game. Now if they think a team is as good or better than them then they seem to start off hard and fast. Or if it’s a really important game. Like tonight after the first few rounds between the two teams it Looked like the Dawgs were about to annihilate LSU. For a while they were scoring at will. But then it was like OK we’ve got the score way up let’s play like Pee Wee league !! This is what has been a constant frustration for many Dawgs fans. But AS a Dawgs fan I’ll take 13 straight wins regardless of How they got there !! And certainly Hope another Natty !! IF and that’s IF they can go on to win another Natty there will Always be rival fans telling you all the reasons it was Easy or they don’t deserve it or some other team deserves it more etc. etc. That’s why they call it rivalries. But Any team that can survive all it takes to Get there and win it All, usually deserves it. And I’d never admit it publicly Lol but that includes Our rivals Lol 😀

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My concern also...."The Bulldogs did give up a number of deep passing plays, particularly with Kelee Ringo in coverage." Recurring problem with Ringo...he seems to want to intercept not bat down ball. Not sure how to solve this. I will guarantee that future post- season opponents will also go after Ringo. Do this early and games could get a whole lot closer. LSU started tossing long balls and the game momentum changed. Good thing LSU defense was not at UGA's level. OL did a good job. Except for Carter...UGA defense was not stellar against the pass.

Happy for the win. Final four is next.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your right as rain. Unfortunately. I say unfortunately because even the most novice fan could see our Secondary got absolutely torched tonight !! Kirby has a Ton of film to watch and Allot of Coaching to do !! And the Slop Monster showed up for a while on Offense. Even the normally KMac had a miscue as did Milton and Stetson was doing really good but then the Evil Stetson showed up. But as has been the whole season some how the Dawgs rallied once again and won it by a solid score. I know Dawgs fans will ask is THIS gonna be the game that we lose ?? It’s really Crazy !! And will age you watching them as a Dawgs fan Lol !! But as long as that final score reflects yet another W, I guess it is what it is. On Both sides of the ball all year they’ve had times where you think Wow what an Awesome team !! And usually the moment you think that the Slop Guys show up !! Weird. But I have to say over all I’m Very Proud of This Dawgs Team. At least at the final second of each game they have found a way to win, instead of rolling over and dying and making a bunch of excuses for losing. So what if they DO lose ?? I’ll be Extremely Disappointed, Especially if they assist the rival team by beating themselves. But having won 13 straight games it’s very hard for me to be angry or disappointed with them. I’m just Very Proud of them. They Have come a long, long way when we consider all the players they lost. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Without a doubt, LSU is the second best team in the SEC and thus better than any other team that played today besides the DAWGS....still scratching my head on how they lost to TAMi????

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

The biggest thing here was pressure. The thing I noticed about Nussmeier being the qb was that the minute our line actually started pushing in on him and getting pressure, his throws were off. We did not play nearly as aggressively on that front as I thought we would. Not consistently, anyway. In the end, we know we can, which is good enough for me today.