Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

LSU coach Brian Kelly points out ‘divide is not huge’ between Tigers and No. 1 Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageLSU coach Brian Kelly points out ‘divide is not huge’ between Tigers and No. 1 Georgia

ATLANTA — LSU coach Brian Kelly said more than once in the aftermath of a 50-30 loss to Georgia that “the best team won” the SEC Championship Game on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said !! Yes there have been times when this team started off slow, and Yes there have been times when they played sloppy. We All saw those times. BUT instead of conceding a loss this team found ways to Win !! And they did that 13 Straight Times in the SEC !! That’s quite remarkable by Any standard. I bet secretly even our rivals are pretty impressed though they’d never say that. Is this team flawless in All areas ?? No of course not. But Collectively they are Very, Very Good !! Even briefly taking off my Homer Hat for a moment I Do think they are the Best team in the land. And the Only way I’m willing to concede that is for another team to beat the Dawgs. To sort of echo what you’ve said here, in the end isn’t that THE most important stat ?? That nice big ole W in the record books. All year when one element of This Dawgs Team under performed another element picked them up and got the win. 13 of them in a row. That’s what Elite teams do. Some fans get a little upset when Special Teams play a heavy part in winning the game. They consider that a failure of some kind. Not Me. If you Win on a FG vs a Win by three TDs, that Win on the FG will be recorded as a WIN in the official records for ever just as much as the win by TDs. The rival team will be recorded as a Loss. Sure it might not be as pretty or as exciting or entertaining, but it’s a W. And here’s the thing you can’t really look at the next game based on the one just finished. Each and every game will have their own unique circumstances. You have to play each one on its own. One game at a time. Tonight the Secondary didn’t look very good at all. BUT I don’t know of Any Coaches in all CFB I’d want to have working out the problems than Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp, and the other assistant coaches !! They’ll get it fixed. And the Dawgs will keep finding ways to Win !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

LSU got killed by Tennessee, barely got by 6-6 Florida and lost by a big margin to 5-7 Texas A&M. Also, UGA basically took the second half off. They could have scored well into the 60s if they needed to.

Kelly already knows this. Just pointing this out for anyone who believes that he is doing anything but selling his program.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As Lawrance Taylor said in the Adam Sandler’s movie Waterboy “Gentleman brings me to my next point….Don’t smoke crack!” @ Brian Kelly

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dan Mullen basically said the same thing. A year later he was fired. So there's that....

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby could put out some things his team made mistakes on that could have put the game away. A missed sack on 4th and 10. A fumble after the half that Georgia had a good drive going. Stark's miss-timed jump that led to a touchdown. Brain Kelly and his supporters can say what they want....Bottomline Georgia did not play their best football game, but they still, beat them by 20 points.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Brian Kelly likes to make these excuses apparently after lopsided losses.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/notre-dames-brian-kelly-no-overwhelming-talent-disparity-with-clemson/4988071/

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

“If we just do a little bit better job on a field goal situation, take (Smiths) 7 off the board, it’s 43 points,” Kelly said.

“Maybe we convert that (and score a TD), and it’s 37 — you got a one-score game, you know what I mean?” He said."

It's called DEFENCE Brian, It's too late for Santa and you ain't going to find it on the portal......."If only, IFS and BUTS were sacks and INTs, LSU would have had a merry Christmas

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Kelly is a little off on the math. If they had done better on the FG situation then it’s 43 for us and 33 for LSU. I mentioned to a friend during the game that the blocked field goal was actually a 10 point swing. If we don’t block the attempt then LSU scores 3 points, but we did block it and we scored 7 points. Bottom line is you can’t just remove plays from the game and act like things would be the same for all other plays. If the game had been tied at halftime I’m 100% certain our intensity would have been much different in the 2nd half.. Also, Bennett would have thrown more passes in the 4th quarter. Excuses are for losers and this is a great example…… Winners never make excuses. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Just like Mike Leach saying his team was a few plays away after losing by 4 touchdowns.

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

One sided IF'n. We could IF our way to 60 Plus points IF we wanted to go that route. We had just as many IF's as did LSU which would have maintained our 20 point win but games are not won on IF's. Only losses.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

If LSU gets to reverse a few plays then we get to reverse a few plays.

Boy, is that stüpid or what?

If my aunt had testicles is smarter.

Reality check, Coach Kelly: LSU is about 20 points away from Georgia. How close 20 points is is subjective but those are the numbers.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gotta love the passive-aggressive reasoning by Kelly. Now, since we’re playing the hypothetical game…what if Kirby and Co just stay hammered down in the gas pedal the entire game: Run the offense like in the first half and play defense the way they usually do—aggressively. What if Carter plays anything meaningful in the second half? Not so sure Nussmeier has that kind of output. LSU has athletes, no doubt, but from a football culture standpoint the gulf is tremendous—even with the Brian Kelly factor.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bless his heart.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior