Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart reacts to CFP pairing with Ohio State, ‘it’s about who plays better’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart reacts to CFP pairing with Ohio State, ‘it’s about who plays better’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart threw the rankings and conference affiliations out the window when reacting to the College Football Playoff seedings on Sunday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

With the expanded CFP coming conference championship games are detrimental to the teams which have to play. Conferences should go back to the old way of playing enough conference games to crown a champion and let their best teams get an extra week of rest.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here's a thought. Teams that didn't have to play a conference championship game should have to play their way into the CFP. This year Ohio State would have to play Alabama ( based on the final CFP Committee standings ) in one week. Then they would have the same number of games played, as well as a 1 week penalty for not having made their conference championship. Once the 12 team format is in place, there could be a variable number of these "play-in" games.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's, actually a great idea. I know...why don't we make teams 5 thru 12 have a tournament, to see which teams get to play in the New Years Six, and CFP?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! That Really IS a great idea !! And would make things much more fair for all concerned !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeesh. When Clemson beat Alabama in 2016 and 2018 we had to hear Bama fans FOR YEARS whine about how UNFAIR it was that Clemson got to breeze through the easy ACC and spend the entire year gameplanning for Alabama and keeping their players fresh and healthy while Bama had to go through the tough grind of the SEC, and by the end of the year would be all battered, bruised, tired and having exposed their gameplan to the world. This clearly unfair advantage was the only explanation for Clemson beating Alabama in 2016 and 2018!

Yeah, right. They never thought about their own advantages, such as a better conference affiliation meant more exposure and more money to pay for bigger athletics and recruiting budgets, better facilities and hire all those former head coaches as assistants allowed them to recruit much better talent to Tuscaloosa than would ever go to Clemson.

So bottom line: there is no such thing as "much more fair for all concerned." Instead these teams just have to play the cards that they are dealt the best way that they can. Use their advantages to overcome their adversities like everybody else.

So yeah, Ohio State got a week off. Big whoop. They still don't have a player like Jalen Carter on their defense. So whatever "advantage" Ohio State got from not having to face off against mighty 8-5 Purdue in the Big 10 title game, UGA still has better players at nearly every position.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ohio State has the offensive edge, and Dawgs have the defensive edge. Should be a good matchup.

BUT, Dawgs better be ready, because just like after our whooping by Bama last year in the SEC Championship game, the Buckeyes will be gunning for REVENGE against the next opponent. Expect aggressive, attacking offense, quick scoring, etc. Our defense came out and shut down the Tide in the Title game. They were hungry. Expect that same hunger and fight from those Buckeyes.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

These four teams earned it. They should be good matchups all the way. If the Dawgs defense can hold down the "home runs" then we should be good. The secondary looked very weak in the second half against LSU and a QB that was not injured and had an arm. Defense will be the key.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Disagree,, regarding the UGA vs OSU offense comparison.

I've watched both teams. Full disclosure, I am a Dawg fan and only watch OSU to root against em, Lol.

Now, setting all that aside; if I had to choose between the two teams, just based on raw talent, I'm not sure which offense I would take. UGA's, I suppose. They both have their warts.

But, if I'm looking at it objectively and take everything into account, I think OSU would be easier to stop, defensively. UGA utilizes it's talent much more effectively.

Against OSU, if you shut down their WRs and speed up their passing game, by pressuring the QB...they don't have a whole lot to fall back on, which is why Michigan beat them. Michigan has an uncharacteristic BIG10 Defense...kinda like UGA and BAMA.

Against UGA, if you shut down any part of their game, they have contingencies, a defense that will slow your offense down and a well-coached Special Teams unit, loaded with 4 and 5 star athletes...ready to take advantage of every mistake.

There's no way a defense has enough players, to shut down every facet of Todd Monkin's offense. As long as he has a QB that thinks like he does with clearance to change plays at the LOS and ability to spread the ball around to all his fine athletes, I don't think UGA can be beat.

They can beat themselves, but, nobody has the juice to come in and shut them down for 4 full quarters....the Dawg's Offense is much more efficient and dependable than that. Lol...it's like a machine with all sorts of emergency operating procedures and no "STOP BUTTON".

When Bruce Lee created Kung Fu...the "Old Guard" ridiculed him and underestimated it's effectiveness against the established Martial Arts. They were proven wrong, in the ring.

Kirby and Todd have created an offense that many underestimate, because of it's apparent breakdowns against Mizzou, Kentucky and a couple of others. What they would understand, if they watched other teams as closely as they do, BAMA and OSU, is that Kirby knows how to put strain on his offense through play calling.

If you watch teams like USC, OSU, BAMA and a few others that get all the "at'a'boys" for their offenses numbers....they don't pull their 1st String in the 3rd or 4th qtr near as often as the Dawgs do, which cuts into their "numbers"...or Statistics.

IMO...There ain't a team like UGA...or that can "beat" UGA. But, that don't mean the Dawgs can't lose.

As with Bruce Lee's "Kung Fu", Monkin will prove his "offense" to be elite, "in the ring"...or, rather, "on the field". I'm a believer, after this year.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate