Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett named Heisman Trophy finalist, Georgia quarterback gets invited to 2022 ceremony

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett named Heisman Trophy finalist, Georgia quarterback gets invited to 2022 ceremony

Quarterback Stetson Bennett was named a Heisman Trophy finalist on Monday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Congrats!! If we would have turned him lose the last three games, he could've gotten his numbers up enough to win it.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Whos better than the mailman - he always delivers...

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson is taller, faster, and better than last years winner. And he beat him head to head. By a lot.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Congratulations to Stetson "the mailman" Bennett. Your accomplishments have proven everyone wrong. I hope you receive this great reward. Let's GO Dawgs and win another Natty.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson deserves it. No player in college football has performed better in the biggest games this year, or last year.

We're about to find out if the Heisman is awarded to the player who puts up better numbers against lesser competition or is it given to "the most outstanding player in college football. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

That last sentence describes Stetson Bennett better than any player I've ever seen. From walk-on to National Champion, with a 27-1 record over the last two seasons.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@jdatl3 Stetson is not faster or better than last year's winner. And he beat him head to head due to having a much more talented team (15 draft picks). And even then he only beat him 1 out of 2. In a few months, Bryce Young will be a top 10 draft pick and NFL starter and Stetson Bennett will be Buck Belue 2.0. Fortunately for Bennett the media landscape will offer him a lot more than Belue, who tried minor league baseball, assistant coaching for Valdosta State, selling insurance etc. before settling into talk radio. So I can see Bennett joining the other national championship winning QBs from the SEC on ESPN, Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow, as well as getting rich from endorsements. But make no mistake: were Bryce Young UGA's QB last season Brock Bowers gets 1300 yards, James Cook rushes for 1000 yards and is a 1st round pick and UGA goes 15-0. And if Stetson Bennett were Alabama's QB last year, they lose at least 4 games.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DJG76

In fairness, the Heisman hasn't been a stats trophy since the 1980s when it went to some run-and-shoot QBs from smaller schools that were horrible in the NFL (Ty Detmer, Andre Ware).

However, the award stopped going to "the best QB on the best team" due to the Gino Torreta over a future NFL Pro Bowler Garrison Hearst and NFL Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk" debacle. Since then, guys have needed to have a minimum of athletic ability and statistics to get the award. So, yes, SB IV absolutely did need to throw for 4 TDs in the SEC title game to get to 20 for the season to get to New York. That he threw them in the first half, meaning that he could have had 6 or 7 TDs ... even better.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haters gonna hate, that’s what they do. But I Love Stetson and So Proud of and for the young man. I’m not gonna post the Heisman statement that explains Why the trophy is presented. But no where in the statement does it say to the player with the best stats. I think sometimes even beyond football we’ve become obsessed with stats !! Like stats are the entire measure of a human being. I honestly Believe that if Mr. Heisman were alive or could speak from the grave he’d want someone like Stetson to win it. I mean the kid was a 3 star out of HS from a small school. And on the scout team. Talk about adversity !!! To Me Stetson epitomizes what the Spirit of the Heisman is all about or Should be about. And as for Bryce Young, Yes he deserved it last year, but Not this year. Henson Hooker has gaudy stats but his team sputtered and choked. NO it’s not his fault but that’s what happened. I say that because Some folks always rush to point out how much Help Stetson has had. Well ( Yeah I’m being silly but also making a point) I wonder how long Young would last without an O line or Hooker without receivers to throw to ??!!?? Point being Any and All Heisman winners past, present, and future had help !! And to all those on Twitter making the. s t u p I d comments that he only got it because he’s on the #1 team please explain Why more Dawgs Didn’t get allot of the other individual awards !! Bias to the upmost !! He doesn’t meet their ideal “profile” so they bash on him. Well he might ( with the Help of his Team) be about to break your hearts Again by helping to win Another National Title !! Go Dawgs !! Go Stetson !!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is one thing for sure:

There will be MORE people watching this Heisman show than has watched in at least 15 years.

Just like the 12 team playoff expansion, this is just marketing and a money grab. I give the committee credit for being savvy in maximizing their already 10 year deflated ratings for the awards show.

I haven’t watched a Heisman show since Tebow undeservingly won it as a sophomore when his team still lost 3 games.

I will watch it now that SB will be there, and I will relish the looks on peoples faces if he takes home the trophy!

Go Dawgs!