Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former SEC coach explains confidence in Georgia’s Kirby Smart, danger of Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageFormer SEC coach explains confidence in Georgia’s Kirby Smart, danger of Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart emphasized to his team that they had 27 days to get ready for the biggest game of their lives, and former SEC coach Jeremy Pruitt believes that will be plenty of time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go Dawgs! Hate on tOSU and all that it implies!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Just hope we don't let off the gas this time. While not saying our game was in jeopardy, but could definitely tell playcalling toned down after the 1st half. Would rather have kept pouring it on Kelly. Unsportsmanlike, eh, but for what he did to his ND team last season, he rightfully deserves public humiliation. "ND deserves to be in the playoff...", then not even 2 days later, bolts for LSU and tries to take all the coaches with him behind closed doors. If ND had gotten in the playoff, it would have been an embarrassment to those players.

• 99nout99nout Posts: 233 ✭✭✭ Junior

A key difference between Ohio state and UGA is the quality of its coaches. UGA wins that by a large gap.

OSU only has to compete against one school for recruits and that school has beat them two years running. That says all you need to know about their coaches.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would be worried about this game if Georgia had not already played and beat high powered offenses. I think when a defense is done right - it still trumps a good offense. Georgia has proved that against Alabama, Tenn, Oregon, etc and will prove it again against the Buckeyes. This extra time Georgia has to plan and scheme will be the difference in the game. GO DAWGS!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Let's get physical...physical"...as the song implies. OSU is not physical..as contrasted with Michigan and UGA...physicality standards, It does not seem to fit the style of Ryan Day. OSU could pass some, but Stroud could not RPO effectively against Mich. as MontanaDawg pointed out. Mich.forced them into a one dimensional play plan. As Smart said of LSU..UGA "will force it down their throat." Same against OSU...whose defense will not be able to stand up to UGA's OL. Line of scrimmage...is always where it is at. On defense,Jaylen Carter will crush OSU to force Stroud out of rhythm. I look for multiple sacks. I also look for blocked FGs. Should be a good outing for UGA,

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, I love you guys posting so far. All the positivity. All I have read on most of the other articles since UGA won the SEC, is a bunch of whining and complaining about how the backup QB toasted us when we had a 25 point lead and he came in slinging it, the pass defense and Ringo and this and that.

You guys rock though. Those guys are just joy-killers that do not have this perspective at all and certainly did not take one minute, NOT ONE MINUTE to enjoy winning the SEC Championship. I will be for the rest of this year and next year and the year after baby!

I mean, do you think we would have just 4 man rushed him the whole time without that lead? Well those joy killers are clueless man. This is what I am talking about though! Y'all know UGA Kirby Smart football.

That LSU backup QB was an aberration. Had the game been closer when he came in gunslinging, the heat would have been coming every play and he never would have known what direction it would be coming from next! His psyche would have been scrambled and his head hung low and dizzy after Kirby and the staff got through with him! Just like against Tenn. Against Oregon. Against all of 'em with their fancy passing, lol. Go Dawgs! Just win baby! Just enjoy this awesome ride we are on!

• UGA64UGA64 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great article! The Georgia coaches will have their players ready. Hopefully, this is the continuation of what the Dawgs did last year and maybe we can become a dynasty. I know I am asking a lot but, " Hunker Down Dawgs" just two more times. Go Dawgs!

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@MontanaDawg

While I do believe that UGA will have no problem stopping Ohio State's running game, I just want to point out in the interests of fairness that Michigan's holding Ohio State to 143 yards was made a lot easier by OSU's #1 RB (great NFL prospect) and #3 RB (good NFL prospect) missing the game due to injury and their #2 prospect (good NFL prospect) playing hurt. All 3 RBs are going to be healthy - or mostly healthy - by the UGA game.

Of course, Carter and the LBs will stop Ohio State's running game anyway. Ohio State is - despite how they were described - a spread passing team who sets up the run with the pass. So even with their 3 RBs healthy, it isn't as if they are going to be able to put their OL, FBs, TEs, RBs etc. out there and attack UGA's front seven like a battering ram because that isn't what their personnel was recruited for, and more important it isn't how they have been conditioned and coached up. They have no experience outslugging and pushing past people because their scheme relies on either running past people or getting open in space and running around them.

Michigan has spent several years gameplanning and recruiting against Ohio State's scheme. Ohio State now needs to have better players to beat Michigan's defense, and without either Jaxon Smith-Njiga or healthy RBs they didn't have that. Given either healthy RBs or Jaxon Smith-Njiba and Ohio State-Michigan is a close game. Given them both, Ohio State wins rather comfortably.

It wasn't just Michigan, by the way. Penn State hung with Ohio State for a little over 3 quarters for the same reason: they are used to the Ohio State scheme, have been recruiting and coaching to stop it, and OSU doesn't have the personnel to run it. The deal with UGA is that even though they don't have the scheme familiarity with Ohio State and hasn't been recruiting to stop it - UGA's "Ohio State" is Alabama and will be until someone else surpasses them or they are conclusively proven to be no longer a threat - they have better athletes on defense than Penn State and Michigan, especially in the front 7 (although I would probably say that Michigan is a bit better in the secondary as their CBs are good and they are better at safety than UGA).

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs Defense will be More ferocious than we’ve seen All year !! Mark it down !! And Coach Monken will dial up the Offense to be Very aggressive in all facets !! GLAD we’re playing Ocryo St. !! Dawgs WILL Win and move on to the Natty !! Go Dawgs !!

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

OSU also struggled to beat a 1 win, abysmal Northwestern team. OSU had to score twice in the 4th quarter to get the 14 point win..21-7.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Yep, some people just need something to complain about, and will gladly ignore all context to get it if they have to. (To be fair, it was pretty rampant on this site in the immediate hours following the SECCG.)

Anyway, yes, the lack of pressure seemed to be by design, for whatever reason the coaches had. When we did apply pressure, we largely got incompletions, an interception and a sack fumble. Also factoring into it, if I'm not mistaken, our best player spent most of the second half sitting safely on the sideline, just because he could. Somehow I doubt that's happening with any playoff game hanging in the balance.

People want to act like LSU was the first team Georgia faced that knew how to pass the ball. Based on how our other games against such teams have gone this year, and how much time the team is going to have to practice for a very small number of known opponents going forward, I think it would be foolish to try to draw any meaningful conclusions from the last thing we saw.

• brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have heard that Kevin Butler had a cameo appearance in that video.