Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett among top finishers in AP college football player of year voting

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett among top finishers in AP college football player of year voting

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett finished fifth in the voting for Associated Press Player of the Year voting, yet another indication of the national appeal and recognition Bennett and the University of Georgia football program have gained.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

JT who??? Sorry things have not worked out for him because he was a team player and did not grouse, publically, for not playing last year. I think that it has now become obviouse that Kirby and Monk made the right call last year because even after the Natty there are those, to including MG, who remained very negative. Way to go Stet -- keep pushing.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson is a determined young man. He stuck with UGA under grievous circumstances until he matured into the role of starter. Where is JT Daniels? In the portal again out of WVA. Stetson possessed the RPO capabilities JT did not. I am not bringing up an aged polemic...just drawing a comparison. JT was benched at WVA......thus the portal for the third time. I liked JT myself, but Stetson has proved himself worthy of all the current recognition and is a DGD.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What an honor. Well-deserved!

On a side note, I've been surprised that Bijon Robinson hasn't gotten more national attention. Until the very end, it seems like all the Heisman/POY love for running backs was going to Corum, Ibrahim and Chase Brown. I'd say it was because the Longhorns didn't a great season, but for most of the year Ibrahim and Brown ahead in the Heisman odds -- until the difference in his total yardage and YPR over those guys became clear.

Is that all about the national media's (especially ESPN's) Big 10 bias? Unlike some DN commenters, I don't think the national reporters are have it in for Georgia. But at least in the past, they have overestimated the power of the Big 10. I guess we'll see in CFP whether they have again this year.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just hoping at some point in all the awards/recognitions SBIV is getting that @MikeGriffith will stop taking shots at him, as was seemingly the case in a recent tweet by MG:

Kirby Smart should be SEC COY, and maybe a national COY -- biggest reload in history w/ 15 drafted + 13 to portal, no incoming transfers & replaced 4 assistants -- went undefeated without #Georgia QB making AP first- or second-team All-SEC.

SBIV: 5th for AP Player of the Year, top 4 Heisman finalists, Burlsworth Trophy winner, Coaches 2nd-team All-SEC. Guess Kirby didn't deserve SEC COY after all? As if a SBIV level QB somehow made it harder for UGA to go undefeated this year.....?

You also don't read many references in DawgNation articles to JT Daniels anymore (at least not in the context of comparing him to SBIV) now that he was unable to keep the starting job at (now) 3 different football programs - now seeking his 4th. UGA coaches score another correct decision despite vocal naysayers and coach-wannabe's.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@CandlerPark

No Big 10 bias. It is just that 1580 yards and 18 TDs for an 8-4 team isn't particularly noteworthy. Instead, while his numbers were similar, Blake Corum was playing for an undefeated team.

If anything, I am still wondering why Michael Penix didn't get more recognition, or any at all. He was the NCAA passing leader for a 10-2 team. Instead they were hyping up Bo Nix - until Oregon lost 2 of their last 3 - despite his having 1000 fewer passing yards. Same thing with Drake Maye: more passing yards than Caleb Williams but no one talking about him at all, other than certain people trying to talk him into transferring to Alabama (seriously ... he actually had to call a press conference to announce that he was returning to UNC to stop it).

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well said but don't count on MG giving Stet any credit he's not man enough to admit that he was wrong. He hung his hat on JT who is a good dude but has failed three times and won't make the league. Of course, when MG mentions JT he always preferencess his comment with "... Heisman favorite!" If you prefer objective and fair sports journalism read Seth Emerson at The Athletic -- sad that Dawg Nation lost him!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe this will make tenn fans quiet down a little bit since Hooker finished ahead of Bennett. Probably not. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgOnTheBeach Your comments are always welcome, but I do want to point out there have been several stories on the Georgia starting quarterback this year with lots of positive attention and angles on him being a Heisman contender , I'll pull a few because you may not have seen them.

Tim Tebow: Dont count out Stetson Bennett in Heisman race

Stetson Bennett, the Heisman Hype is real!

Here's one from January that won second place in the nation among all of the college football columns:

Put this story out in the middle of the game, still one of my favorite moments of the year ...

We haven't done much if anything on JT because he transferred to West Virginia and we do not cover that program, Stetson has said the two still stay in touch and remain friends. At some point that might be worth a story, but right now there's plenty of Bulldogs to write about and other key SEC players!

I may do a round-up of how the transfers that left UGA are doing.

• Options

@David1 I doubt it.... but Jalin Hyatt did win the Biletnikoff WR award over Marvin Harrison Jr. in a mild upset. I have been told the Buckeyes receiver is better. Guess we will see on Dec. 31!

• Options

@Hemingwey No doubt, that's what Stet came back for

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said !! And Excellent quote of Stetson !! Stetson can live out his life and be able to tell his children and grandchildren ( they will be able to See it in the official records) that he Truly went Against The Odds and opinions and speculations of Numerous sports “experts” and Coaches and fans of numerous fan bases Including some of Dawg Nation and through Much Adversity became a Winner !! A Winner at the Highest Levels in College Football. And just like the Classy Gentleman he Truly is, the first thing out of his mouth is to give his Teammates The Credit for his success !! And Of Course his Family and close Friends. YES his Teammates absolutely Do deserve Much Credit for much of his success. No doubt. BUT Stetson Bennett Deserves Allot of credit for being a Believer of what he Could Do if only given a chance !! Kirby and Coach Monken took a chance on Stetson and he More than showed them that their Confidence was well placed !! I sure Hope Stetson and our Dawgs will win the next Two games. But Even if they were to lose, sure like all Dawgs fans I’d be disappointed but I will for the rest of my life be proud Of and For Stetson Bennett and This Dawgs Team !! In preseason the “Experts” had the Dawgs losing At A Minimum One Game and thought more than apt Two losses. Some had them losing Three and though a much smaller group Some said it wouldn’t be unheard of if the Dawgs lost Four games !! Yet here they are with 13 straight wins. And with Stetson Bennett at QB !! You just don’t do that by accident or by “Luck”. Like someone posted on here the other day You Have To Make Your Own Luck. That’s just what Stetson Bennett and these Dawgs done, went out each game and made their own luck !! Go Dawgs !! Go Stetson !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t say I’m Worried about our Dawgs playing the Buckeyes, I can say I’m concerned. I believe that they are in fact a very good team. But I Believe that if our Dawgs bring their A game, which means little to no sloppy play. No turnovers, keep penalties down below average the Dawgs will win in a Tough game. I just believe that the SEC is tougher to play in than the Big 10. In spite of them being in the Big 10 I think This Buckeyes Team is very good, Michigan might be even better. But trying to set my Dawgs cap off to one side, Even When the Dawgs played some slop ball they Found A Way to win. If the Dawgs play like the Elite team they have shown they Can do and Did for a large segment of the game vs LSU then they Can and Will beat Ohio St. Michigan or TCU. That version of the Dawgs is just better, plain and simple. The Dawgs seem to thrive vs stiff competition. The slop didn’t show up until After they had the score up over LSU then the No Care Dawgs showed up. But when it looked like LSU might rise up, the Competitive Dawgs came back out on the field and finalized things. I’m actually Glad that Ohio St. Michigan and TCU are Good teams as the Competitive Dawgs will come out to play !! Go Dawgs !!